UPSC - Distended Abdomen

donalee
donalee Member Posts: 6
I am 58, was diagnosed upsc stage 3c when I had a hysterectomy in June. Into my 2nd set of chemo my abdomen began to swell and become sore. I had an ultra sounds and ct scans but the only solution was thought to stop chemo. I percervered through the chemo and it continually got worse. I finished my chemo 3 weeks ago and my abdomen pain and swelling continue to get worse. Yesterday, I went to get my tattoos to start radiation. Although I drank more than the required water to fill up my bladder they said there was barely 1/2 a cup in my bladder! Where did it all go? They said they could not start the radiation until I get the belly issues under control. I cried out of frustration that I didn't know what else to do!!!! I see my oncologist tomorrow and am waiting to hear when I go for another ct scan. I now look like I am 9 months pregnant.I am on the blandest diet and am losing weight. The cramping and searing pains throughout my abdomen are giving me suicidal thoughts. Has anyone heard of this ever happening???
Donna

Comments

• Michaelynn
    Michaelynn Member Posts: 85 Member
    Could you have Ascites?
    Ascites is the accumulation of fluid (usually serous fluid which is a pale yellow and clear fluid) in the abdominal (peritoneal) cavity. I have not had this myself but have heard of it. There is also ascites formation as a result of cancers, called malignant ascites. These types of ascites are typically manifestations of advanced cancers of the organs in the abdominal cavity, such as, colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, lymphoma, lung cancer, or ovarian cancer.

Hope you find out what it is and get some relief soon.
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Donna
    I'm sorry I can't be of much help regarding your symptoms. I am concerned, though, that you are having suicidal thoughts. Did you call your oncologist? Perhaps you should go to the hospital asap.

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Peace and hope, JJ
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454

Donna
    I'm sorry I can't be of much help regarding your symptoms. I am concerned, though, that you are having suicidal thoughts. Did you call your oncologist? Perhaps you should go to the hospital asap.

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Peace and hope, JJ

Please call your oncologist
    Donna,

Please call your oncologist and get in to have them examine you. If it gets too intense and your oncologist is not available, go to the emergency room.

Please take care and don't speculate-check it out with your medical team!

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Donna it does sound like ascites
    I hope you will call your onocologist soon. If the abdominal distention is caused by fluid, they can drain the fluid off. Draining the fluid would definitely make you feel better.

It worries me, too, that you have suicidal thoughts. I hope you will get some help soon. I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. In peace and caring.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Ro10 said:

I hope you will call your onocologist soon. If the abdominal distention is caused by fluid, they can drain the fluid off. Draining the fluid would definitely make you feel better.

It worries me, too, that you have suicidal thoughts. I hope you will get some help soon. I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. In peace and caring.

Did you get in to see a physician?
    Sometimes when we get on this cancer merry-go-round (that is anything but merry), the hand-off from doctor to doctor blurs the line for who's responsible for what,even for the physicians. I had an issue early in my chemo and the medical oncologist said "we don't deal with that, call gyn". The gyn peeps said it was the medical oncologist's problem. It was so frustrating, and frightening. I hope you got some relief for what sounds like fluid accumulation in your abdomen - remember you can always go to the ER or even your primary care physician. Toward the end of my chemo, I was really ill and I went to my primary care physician. They will communicate with the oncology people if needed, but definitely can and will determine if what's going on needs immediate attention and be your advocate to see that it gets done if they can't do it.

I hope you're feeling better by now both physically and emotionally. It is indeed worrisome that you are having suicidal thoughts. I think most of us have dealt with some level of depression along the way. There are a whole lot of emotional issues that go along with this journey and they need to be addressed - and treated. It seems like I'm seeing countless oncology physicians and not one of them has asked how I'm doing emotionally. My primary care physician always does.

Please do whatever you need to do to get someone to listen to you about your abdominal distention issues, and pain (both physical and emotional). I hope by now that's already happened.

Suzanne
  • grammycarol13
    grammycarol13 Member Posts: 3
    My Mom is dealing with the same thing
    My moms stomach has started growing in the same area she went to the oncolgist last Monday and they told her that one of her kidneys were shuting down due to the tumor, she is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday 11/30 to put a stent in, this should open her bladder and kidney. I dont know if this helps. My prayers are with you and your family,Keep the faith the Lord is with us.
  • donalee

Could you have Ascites?
    Ascites is the accumulation of fluid (usually serous fluid which is a pale yellow and clear fluid) in the abdominal (peritoneal) cavity. I have not had this myself but have heard of it. There is also ascites formation as a result of cancers, called malignant ascites. These types of ascites are typically manifestations of advanced cancers of the organs in the abdominal cavity, such as, colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, lymphoma, lung cancer, or ovarian cancer.

Hope you find out what it is and get some relief soon.

Ascites
    Thanks so much! This is the most info I have heard yet. I have seen my oncologist and he says my markers show a "diseased gut" which can mean anything from infection to possibly more cancer. I just need to deal with huge pain right now. I am worried about getting a perferated bowel when it hurts this bad. I have a ct scan on Monday to figure this out... maybe.
    Thanks again!
    Donna
    q:)
  • donalee

Did you get in to see a physician?
    Sometimes when we get on this cancer merry-go-round (that is anything but merry), the hand-off from doctor to doctor blurs the line for who's responsible for what,even for the physicians. I had an issue early in my chemo and the medical oncologist said "we don't deal with that, call gyn". The gyn peeps said it was the medical oncologist's problem. It was so frustrating, and frightening. I hope you got some relief for what sounds like fluid accumulation in your abdomen - remember you can always go to the ER or even your primary care physician. Toward the end of my chemo, I was really ill and I went to my primary care physician. They will communicate with the oncology people if needed, but definitely can and will determine if what's going on needs immediate attention and be your advocate to see that it gets done if they can't do it.

I hope you're feeling better by now both physically and emotionally. It is indeed worrisome that you are having suicidal thoughts. I think most of us have dealt with some level of depression along the way. There are a whole lot of emotional issues that go along with this journey and they need to be addressed - and treated. It seems like I'm seeing countless oncology physicians and not one of them has asked how I'm doing emotionally. My primary care physician always does.

Please do whatever you need to do to get someone to listen to you about your abdominal distention issues, and pain (both physical and emotional). I hope by now that's already happened.

Suzanne

Painful Abdomen
    That is exactly what I am going through; I feel like I am getting the major run-around and not being heard. Since this first started in September I have been to emergency 3 times, have seen 7 different doctors, had a gazillion blood tests, exrays, ultrasound, and am scheduled for another ct scan this Monday. Mostly I am having a hard time dealing with the pain. All I can take is Tylenol because anything stronger makes me nauseous and constipated. I am suppose to start radiation on the 6th of Dec. If I am in this much pain I will not beable to hold still in the machine let alone lie on my back.
    Thanks for the support!
    Donna
  • donalee

My Mom is dealing with the same thing
    My moms stomach has started growing in the same area she went to the oncolgist last Monday and they told her that one of her kidneys were shuting down due to the tumor, she is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday 11/30 to put a stent in, this should open her bladder and kidney. I dont know if this helps. My prayers are with you and your family,Keep the faith the Lord is with us.

Painful Abdomen
    That does help! I am grateful for any info I can take back to my doctor!
    Thanks so much,
    Donna
  • donalee
    Ro10 said:

Abdomenal Distention
    I saw my oncologist shortly after posting. He is still uncertain - always wants another test. I have another ct scan on Monday. Meanwhile I am dealing with excruciating pain. I can only take Tylenol because anything stronger makes me constipated and nauseous.I am usually good dealing with pain but sometimes it starts to beat me down. After 2 days of this none stop I am definately tired and and thats when suicidal thoughts come. But then the pain lifts a bit and I am so happy until it hits again. I have told all my doctors this and they realize I am trying to make a point. I am never alone. My husband is a saint and holds my hand through all this.
    Thanks for the info.,
    Donna
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    donalee said:

Abdomenal Distention
    I saw my oncologist shortly after posting. He is still uncertain - always wants another test. I have another ct scan on Monday. Meanwhile I am dealing with excruciating pain. I can only take Tylenol because anything stronger makes me constipated and nauseous.I am usually good dealing with pain but sometimes it starts to beat me down. After 2 days of this none stop I am definately tired and and thats when suicidal thoughts come. But then the pain lifts a bit and I am so happy until it hits again. I have told all my doctors this and they realize I am trying to make a point. I am never alone. My husband is a saint and holds my hand through all this.
    Thanks for the info.,
    Donna

So sorry...
    I am so sorry, Donna, to hear that your are still in so much pain. It is quite difficult to believe that they cannot get down to the bottom of this.k May I ask you where you live? Perhaps one of us can assist you with finding a doctor or hospital center that would be more pro-active for you.

Peace and hope, JJ