deck the halls

khl8
khl8 Member Posts: 807
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I decided to take the time today and deck the halls, I will be going into the hospital on dec 9th for the big hernia repair and possibly having the large incsion again just like the resection surgery! I was going back and forth about decorating this year as the holidays are going to be spent recouperating and thought to myself why bother. BUT, I then realized that no matter what is going on, I need to celebrate every holiday to it's fullest. Maybe if I had not had cancer I might have just let it pass by without all the hoopla. I remember 2 years ago, I was not sure how many more christmas's I would have so that year I made it extra special. Well why was I contemplating not doing it this year? did I forget so soon the anguish of 3 christmas's ago? Have I come to that point that I am begining to fall into pre cancer behavior. I cannot do that, I need to remmeber the feelings and emotions and live each day like it is my last!
So, Happy thanksgiving to each and every one of you, and no matter what your plans are, I pray that you enjoy each and every moment with friends and family!
Kathy

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    deckin those halls
    ahhh Kathy...I am so glad you decided to do that....

just imagine how wonderful it will be when you are at home chillin and recupin to look round and see all your pretty work. Keep the faith....I too have decorated early for the same reason....who knows what tomorrow will be like....tonight I am about to have a little glass of red wine and toast my Christmas lights.....

good luck and hugs

mags
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    I'm glad
    Kathy, I am glad you are decorating; I think Mags is right - it will be nice to look at during recovery. Decorate on!
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Kathy:)
    That's Wonderful!
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    As a child
    Kathy darlin,

As a child, every Christmas my 2 older brothers, older sister and I were always taken to my grandmother’s house 3 days before Christmas. When we left our house everything was just like normal. No decorations of any kind.

On Christmas Eve, my parents would come to grandmas and we would have a tree, big meal, presents and all there. Then we would head home late that night with all us kids asleep in the car. When we woke up on Christmas morning we would run to the living room and there was everything Christmas.

Santa had brought it all. I still love those memories.

Kerry
  • khl8
    Kerry S said:

As a child
    Kathy darlin,

As a child, every Christmas my 2 older brothers, older sister and I were always taken to my grandmother’s house 3 days before Christmas. When we left our house everything was just like normal. No decorations of any kind.

On Christmas Eve, my parents would come to grandmas and we would have a tree, big meal, presents and all there. Then we would head home late that night with all us kids asleep in the car. When we woke up on Christmas morning we would run to the living room and there was everything Christmas.

Kerry

Kerry,
    what an awesome

Kerry,
    what an awesome childhood memory! Christmas is such a majical time especially through the eyes of a child. I am glad that I decked the halls, I am sitting here in the living room and the lights of the tree are illuminating the room, and of course I have a totally sappy holiday Hallmark channel Christmas movie on! I may be stuck in a chair for the holidays but I can feel the spirit!

Kathy
  • khl8
    maglets said:

deckin those halls
    ahhh Kathy...I am so glad you decided to do that....

just imagine how wonderful it will be when you are at home chillin and recupin to look round and see all your pretty work. Keep the faith....I too have decorated early for the same reason....who knows what tomorrow will be like....tonight I am about to have a little glass of red wine and toast my Christmas lights.....

good luck and hugs

mags

Mags,
    I do beleive that I

Mags,
    I do beleive that I will do the same thing. I have always loved this time of year and I am so happy I did it! I have alot to celebrate this year and I have a birhday coming up, the day after christmas! But instead of feeling sorry for myself that I cannot go out dancing or anything this year, I am going to relish in the fact that I am here to have another christmas and birthday!

Hugs back at ya!!!! Happy Holidays!

Kathy
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Kerry S said:

As a child
    Kathy darlin,

Kerry

Kerry
    That sounds wonderful, magical!
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Kerry S said:

As a child
    Kathy darlin,

Kerry

Kerry
    It was the same at my house. And I did the same for my children until they got older. It was always such a wonderful surprise for them to think that Santa did it while they were sleeping.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi Kathy, Well, you just

Hi Kathy, Well, you just made up my mind - I'm going to put up a real tree this year! :-) Rick smiled when I told him just now, and then he told me that we'll have to go to the local tree farm and cut a nice big full tree down. (I think he was amused at the thought of me cutting down a tree with a saw - by hand!) He hasn't been having a good day today, but just mentioning a tree really brightened up his spirits. :-) Thank you!! :-) (And Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!) Cynthia
  • khl8

Hi Kathy, Well, you just

Hi Kathy, Well, you just made up my mind - I'm going to put up a real tree this year! :-) Rick smiled when I told him just now, and then he told me that we'll have to go to the local tree farm and cut a nice big full tree down. (I think he was amused at the thought of me cutting down a tree with a saw - by hand!) He hasn't been having a good day today, but just mentioning a tree really brightened up his spirits. :-) Thank you!! :-) (And Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!) Cynthia

Cynthia,No need to thank
    Cynthia,
    No need to thank me! I just had this overwhelming urge to share this with all of you today! I should thank you for putting a smile on my face and a tear or two, by hearing that your Rick smiled and had his spirits lifted!
    Please everyone out there, take the time to celebrate this holiday season, whether it be big or small, whether you are activly in treatment,recovery, remission or missing a loved one. Maybe we should all take pictures of our trees, or menorah's or whatever else symbolizes your celebrations and for a short time, we can all enjoy each others celebrations and smile, as we all need more smiles!!

Kathy

P.s. I could not put up my big tree this year as I am anticipating having to add a recliner to the living room for my recovery, so Ipicked up this little one today, and to my amazement, all my ornaments fit on it!
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Thank you
    Thank you for sharing your decorations and story about the holidays.

I haven't put up a tree in years. For a long time I wasn't at my home for the holidays, but would travel to my family and just enjoy their's. Since moving closer, I haven't put up one because I was afraid my rascally cats would try to climb it!

Thanks to your encouragement I think I will put up just a small one to bring more of the spirit of the season inside.

Hugs,

Marie
  • khl8

Thank you
    Thank you for sharing your decorations and story about the holidays.

I haven't put up a tree in years. For a long time I wasn't at my home for the holidays, but would travel to my family and just enjoy their's. Since moving closer, I haven't put up one because I was afraid my rascally cats would try to climb it!

Thanks to your encouragement I think I will put up just a small one to bring more of the spirit of the season inside.

Hugs,

Marie

Marie,
    Just tie the tree to

Marie,
    Just tie the tree to something so the kitty's don't knock it down! See I am getting you all in the holiday sprit!

Hugs,
    Kathy
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    Confessions of a Xmas aholic
    I have been listening to Xmas music since October lol.

Enjoy your Xmas decorations.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Good for you!
    Hey, Kathy.

I'm so glad you decided to deck the halls! It'll perk up your spirits while you recover. As you say, you need to enjoy each day to the fullest!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • khl8
    ketziah35 said:

Confessions of a Xmas aholic
    I have been listening to Xmas music since October lol.

Enjoy your Xmas decorations.

ummmmm, me too!!!!

ummmmm, me too!!!!
  • khl8
    tootsie1 said:

Good for you!
    Hey, Kathy.

I'm so glad you decided to deck the halls! It'll perk up your spirits while you recover. As you say, you need to enjoy each day to the fullest!

*hugs*
    Gail

Thanks Gail,
    I have this

Thanks Gail,
    I have this serene sense of accomplishment. I even went out and hung the lights on the house, draped the porch railings in pine garland and added the bows. Now all that is left it to "flip the switch" on Friday. when my youngest was little, we used to bundle up grab hot cholocalte and walk the neigborhood in the evening to look at all the lights. Now that was a special moment I will cherish forever. He is 18 now and of course is not into this anymmore! Maybe this year I will make him put me in the car and drive me around slowly so I can see the lights in all their glory!
    Kathy