surgery for stage 3a lung cancer? Questions?

Donnanva
Donnanva Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi. Gary has stage 3a lung cancer and at the beginning, the surgeon oncologist told us that after a round of chemo/radiation, there could be enough shrinkage of tumer to surgically remove the rest of it.

He has now finished one cycle. When we saw the reg. oncologist, and I asked if he could have surgery now, his answeer was technical and said that was no longer an option. Something about the treatment had been targeted. I was too much in shock to ask questions and so was Gary. Does anyone here have any idea at all what he might have been talking about?

They haven't even done a second scan yet to see if the first chemo cycle has had any impact yet.

In his first cycle her received radiation, TAXAL AND CARBOPLATEN. This time they have added a third drug....Avistan. Has anyone ever heard of that? This time they will not be doing radiation. Is it true that people can only get one round of radiation?

Comments

• jins
    jins Member Posts: 6
    I understand
    Sorry I have no answers to give you, but my mother has possible stage 4, at least that is what she was told by one doctor who told her she was not able to have surgery, when the week before they were talking about surgery right before or after Thanksgiving. She has cancer just in the lung, and legions on the brain that have totally cleared from the chemo and radiation. The one doctor is saying more of the "cocktail" chemo, and more radiation. We are really confused, she had a cat scan last week and we get the results tomorrow morning. Wish I could give you some information, just wanted to share with you and let youknow that you are not alone. My advice to you is try to stay positive, write down questions that you have for the doctor, that way when you are in the office at least you have things written down that you want answers too. I also have been writing down questions, I plan on asking tomorrow. Look on the internet and search anything and everything you can find about stage 3, write it down and speak to the doctors on your next appointment. Good luck my thoughts and prayers are with you. Jins
  • jins
    jins Member Posts: 6
    I understand
    Sorry I have no answers to give you, but my mother has possible stage 4, at least that is what she was told by one doctor who told her she was not able to have surgery, when the week before they were talking about surgery right before or after Thanksgiving. She has cancer just in the lung, and legions on the brain that have totally cleared from the chemo and radiation. The one doctor is saying more of the "cocktail" chemo, and more radiation. We are really confused, she had a cat scan last week and we get the results tomorrow morning. Wish I could give you some information, just wanted to share with you and let youknow that you are not alone. My advice to you is try to stay positive, write down questions that you have for the doctor, that way when you are in the office at least you have things written down that you want answers too. I also have been writing down questions, I plan on asking tomorrow. Look on the internet and search anything and everything you can find about stage 3, write it down and speak to the doctors on your next appointment. Good luck my thoughts and prayers are with you. Jins
  • Donnanva
    jins said:

I understand

Jins
    Hi Jins. It was really nice of you to let me know I'm not alone. This must be one of the most horrible diseases possible.

My prayers are with you too. (((Jins))) Donna
  • medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    radiation
    No it is not true. You may be thinking of PCI, which is a one time preventative radiation to the brain (to make sure nothing is swimming around in there). That procedure can only be given once.
    Good Luck!
    Medi
  • NayPaul
    NayPaul Member Posts: 230 Member
    Taxol, carboplatin, Avastin
    You asked if any has heard of this. YES... these three drugs were approved for concurrent use for lung cancer in 2006.

My wife has completed two rounds of those three. She is on a fourth drug as part of a study. The avastin can be used as a maintenace chemo when completing the others.

Good luck and stay positive.
  • Donnanva
    NayPaul said:

Taxol, carboplatin, Avastin
    You asked if any has heard of this. YES... these three drugs were approved for concurrent use for lung cancer in 2006.

My wife has completed two rounds of those three. She is on a fourth drug as part of a study. The avastin can be used as a maintenace chemo when completing the others.

Good luck and stay positive.

Thank you
    Thanks so much. This gives me more information to ask the the doctor about. Thank you. Donna