After 16 years battling cancer on and off she lost battle!

Karen53
Karen53 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Last Tuesday morning my mom died at the age of 75. Her fight starts back 16 years ago with the stage 3 uterine cancer.She had a complete hysterectomy. She then had chemo. She did great.Then 9 years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had lump removed from left breast. She had radiation. Did great. Then 5 years ago she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She had a small tumor and part of left lung removed.No radiation or chemo that time. Now 5 years later. My mom had back pain in mid July of this year. Went to dr. says showed a large tumor pressing on spine. Further tests showed reoccurence of lung cancer on right lung this time. Tumor on upper and lower lobes of right lung. Stage 4 lung cancer with mets to spine,rib,and breast.She had 16 treatments of radiation. The radiation shrunk tumor that was pressing on spine so she went from taking lortab every 4 hrs to 4 lortab a day. What bothered her most was the nausea that she had with the cancer this time. Even now I am not sure why she was nautious all of the time.She had nausea before she started treatments.Didn't have an appetite most of the time either. Lost between 10 to 15 lbs. from late July to November.Seemed depressed alot of the time also. Then a couple of weeks ago she had a hard time breathing.Rushed to the ER. Did an ekg and chest xray. Showed pneumonia. Thought it was just a touch as thats what dr said. Said she needed to be in hospital for a couple of days.By the 2nd day the dr put her in ICU. They said they were going to do a procedure giving antibiotics, an iv and a mask over her nose with oxygen. That was Thursday and Friday. By Saturday nite they decided that the procedure they tried was just not working. She was only getting 53% oxygen.Her chest was pounding she was breathing so hard. It was heart breaking watching her. So on Saturday nite she was hooked up to the ventilator. At least her breathing was better. She was sedated. dr said not completely out but sedated enough but because of her high blood pressure could only sedate so much. We prayed that she could hear what we were saying to her. She was sedated enough though that she never opened her eyes. During entire time on ventilator the numbers on the screen never really ended up where drs wanted them to be. Tuesday morning the numbers were all over the place. Her blood pressure starting dropping and heart rate. The drs did what they could to raise them and they came right back down. She died very quickly after that. She died on the ventilator.I didn't get there until afterwards but my family said she just went to sleep. We miss her terribly.This was her 4th time with cancer. She was able to beat 3 of those cancers but this 4th time it just wasnt meant to be. She had cancer on and off over 16 years and in between those times with cancer she lived a full wonderful life. Working, doing everyday things, travelling. She had a great life!

Comments

• 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Wow
    Karen,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Sounds like she really went through alot these past 16 years. She must've had alot to live for and that's why she fought so hard. It must've been really hard to see her go through all this. But sounds like she had a nice life. It's so hard to lose your mother, but sounds like you were there for her all the way.
    I'll say a prayer for you, that you can make it through this rough time. Be strong!
  • jins
    jins Member Posts: 6
    3Mana said:

Wow
    Karen,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Sounds like she really went through alot these past 16 years. She must've had alot to live for and that's why she fought so hard. It must've been really hard to see her go through all this. But sounds like she had a nice life. It's so hard to lose your mother, but sounds like you were there for her all the way.
    I'll say a prayer for you, that you can make it through this rough time. Be strong!

sorry for your loss
    I am sorry to hear about your mother. Its hard to understand why people have to go through what they go through. My mom is currently fighting lung cancer, we are meeting with doctors on Thursday to go over her results from her cat scan. The hardest part for me has been staying strong, my husband is having a hard time with me "shutting down". I joined this site about a week ago, and already it has been helping me to get through a very difficult time in my life. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and keep in mind we are here if you need to talk.
    Stay strong and look to your loved ones for support.
    Jins
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    So sorry...
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your mother sounds like she was an incredible woman who, despite her battles with cancer, was able to live her life on her terms.

Remember all the good times and know that she is watching over you now.

My best to you and your family,
    Glenna
  • bradygirl
    bradygirl Member Posts: 31
    Glenna M said:

So sorry...
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your mother sounds like she was an incredible woman who, despite her battles with cancer, was able to live her life on her terms.

Glenna

Sorry for your loss
    How truly blessed you are to have had such a strong mother. Seems she didn't battle alone.Praying you will find peace and serenity your mom has now been given. Maryann
  • trft
    trft Member Posts: 48
    I am sorry for the loss of your mom.
    First, I am sorry for your loss. I have lung cancer, and I though you had a great story. My biggest fear is the word "recurrence". But I'll take the last line too: "She had a great life!" Thanks for that. It certainly made me feel better. Tim
  • Karen53
    3Mana said:

Wow
    Karen,

Thank you for your prayers.

Thank you for your prayers.
  • Karen53
    Glenna M said:

So sorry...

Glenna

Thank you i do feel she is
    Thank you i do feel she is watching over our family.
  • Karen53
    Glenna M said:

So sorry...

Glenna

• Karen53
    Glenna M said:

So sorry...

Glenna

• skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Your Mom

Your Mom was a great warrior. I know she is now a guardian angel for your family. She will always be there for you if not physically, spiritually.

My prayers are with you and your family. I'm so glad your Mother had a great life even with all the cancer. She sounds like she was a remarkable woman.

((HUGS))

Skipper85