Hodgkins- "The Good Cancer"

2»

Comments

• mikebb79
    mikebb79 Member Posts: 4
    No cancer = the good cancer
    I agree that any form of cancer sucks. Not sure why there even needs to be a good or bad type established. I'm not sure on the statistics, but I assume they call Hodgkins the good cancer because the survival rates are higher. But then what about survivors of "the bad cancers"? I understand they may be trying to lift your hopes and all, but a bunch of malarkey if you ask me.
  • mikebb79
    mikebb79 Member Posts: 4
    onlytoday said:

It's all hard
    No toes were stepped on. We all have our respective opinions and I honor them all. We (all cancer patients) got screwed. It makes me so sad that the numbers of victims is on the rise every year. I totally believe that our reliance on plastics has everything to do with it. If you look around - everything is made of plastic!! So we have those chemicals leeching into our houses every day... and have for years!! Sitting here I am looking at: my computer, my remote, my phone my slippers, my pen- all made from plastic. Can't be good.

My Dad worked with plastic all of his working life. Used to come home from work with resin (what the plastic was made from) all over him. Sadly, my sister got Hodgkins at 16 and now I have NHL. No way to know for sure, but it seems that it could be an environmental issue rather than heredity.

I digress..... back to the topic. IT ALL SUCKS!

I had NHL as well.
    How far into treatment are you? If you need to talk or anything feel free. I went through it. Maybe not the same exact type of NHL, but a NHL nonetheless.
  • Swtkoolaid
    Swtkoolaid Member Posts: 53
    Hi
    Hi,

I'm new to the board, but wanted to say that I totally agree with what you are saying. No cancer is good cancer. Its a horrible thing no matter which one you have. Its scary, just the word makes you shiver when you hear it. I'm in remission, but have recently have had some health scares. Still waiting on testing and to see doctors to make sure it has not reared its ugly head. I was diagnosed and treated and been in remission for 9 years from Hodgkins Stage4. I'm hoping for many more healthy years! But I wanted to come by and say hi and hope all is going well for you. Stay strong and many hugs and blessings your way :) BTW I love your photo, your beautiful and look like such a happy positive person! Take Care, Andrea
  • CiAnnaBananna
    CiAnnaBananna Member Posts: 105

Hi
    Hi,

I'm new to the board, but wanted to say that I totally agree with what you are saying. No cancer is good cancer. Its a horrible thing no matter which one you have. Its scary, just the word makes you shiver when you hear it. I'm in remission, but have recently have had some health scares. Still waiting on testing and to see doctors to make sure it has not reared its ugly head. I was diagnosed and treated and been in remission for 9 years from Hodgkins Stage4. I'm hoping for many more healthy years! But I wanted to come by and say hi and hope all is going well for you. Stay strong and many hugs and blessings your way :) BTW I love your photo, your beautiful and look like such a happy positive person! Take Care, Andrea

andrea
    always amazing to hear stories of those who have been in remission for such a long time! Congrats to you! Things are going well for me, i have 9 more radiation treatments and I should be done with everything. Radiation is giving me a hard time though. I can't swallow anything and my throat is sooo sore. I'm also going through terrible acid reflux and heartburn. The doc says it should only be temporary, but I am NOT loving this at all! During chemo I couldn't stop eating, now i can't eat a thing!
  • bobmcghee
    bobmcghee Member Posts: 44 Member

andrea
    always amazing to hear stories of those who have been in remission for such a long time! Congrats to you! Things are going well for me, i have 9 more radiation treatments and I should be done with everything. Radiation is giving me a hard time though. I can't swallow anything and my throat is sooo sore. I'm also going through terrible acid reflux and heartburn. The doc says it should only be temporary, but I am NOT loving this at all! During chemo I couldn't stop eating, now i can't eat a thing!

The "GOOD?" Cancer
    I'm trying to be a cancer treatment survivor. It scares me more than cancer. 18 radiation treatments and 7 of 8 r-chop's todate. So far I see no "GOOD". My dream is to have a hotdog with the works by December. Thanksgiving will be a waste of time this year. Everyone here knows that hodgkins treatments are as unpreasant as it gets. Chemotherapy drugs will never catch on with the recreational drug user crowd.
    By the way, I had acid reflux before cancer and kept taking Prilosec. It helped me.
    Stay strong no matter how weak you feel. Bob.
  • ayax
    ayax Member Posts: 4
    I feel the same way, I even
    I feel the same way, I even heard this from a chemo nurse. Even though I know that she meant well, I still think people don't think we suffer too. I dont think we should 'compare cancers' because you only know what it feels like when you have been there. No cancer is good.
  • Swtkoolaid
    Swtkoolaid Member Posts: 53

andrea

Hope
    You are feeling better and that you have been able to eat. I feel your pain and frustrations! I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery and that you will be able to eat a big hearty healthy meal! Take Care - Hugs Andrea
  • hilde451
    hilde451 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Good Grief
    I agree with everyone. I have been told the same thing, when I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma in 04.
    I dont think there is any cancer that is good to have.
    People do not understand what it feels like just to hear your diagnosis. You are just stunned and you feel the color drain from your face.
    At least I did.
    Hope you all are doing well. I go for my cat scans December 1st.
    Hilde
  • ocbeach56
    ocbeach56 Member Posts: 7
    hilde451 said:

Good Grief
    I agree with everyone. I have been told the same thing, when I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma in 04.
    I dont think there is any cancer that is good to have.
    People do not understand what it feels like just to hear your diagnosis. You are just stunned and you feel the color drain from your face.
    At least I did.
    Hope you all are doing well. I go for my cat scans December 1st.
    Hilde

No Good Cancer but...
    It's disgusting and just crazy for anyone to say that their is any form of "good" cancer.

That being said, I am a six+ year survivor of non-Hodgkin's disease. I always carried a good sense of humor with me and it greatly helped through the treatment and the recovery from my stem cell transplant. There is a hilarious episode of the show Curb Your Enthusiasm (The Weatherman season 4)in which the main character, Larry gets into an argument about whether Hodgkin's is the good cancer or not. The absurdity of the discussion is what makes it so funny. If you laughed at all during Seinfeld you certainly will enjoy Curb.

The episode first aired while I was in the mist of my treatment and it truly helped me remember to keep my sense of humor about everything and that was one thing that I could not allow the cancer to take.

DAN
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    ocbeach56 said:

No Good Cancer but...
    It's disgusting and just crazy for anyone to say that their is any form of "good" cancer.

That being said, I am a six+ year survivor of non-Hodgkin's disease. I always carried a good sense of humor with me and it greatly helped through the treatment and the recovery from my stem cell transplant. There is a hilarious episode of the show Curb Your Enthusiasm (The Weatherman season 4)in which the main character, Larry gets into an argument about whether Hodgkin's is the good cancer or not. The absurdity of the discussion is what makes it so funny. If you laughed at all during Seinfeld you certainly will enjoy Curb.

The episode first aired while I was in the mist of my treatment and it truly helped me remember to keep my sense of humor about everything and that was one thing that I could not allow the cancer to take.

DAN

I'm with you Dan on that!!!!
    I'm with you Dan on that!!!! don't let cancer take your sense of humor or your attitude away!!!! Vinny
  • CiAnnaBananna
    CiAnnaBananna Member Posts: 105
    ocbeach56 said:

No Good Cancer but...

DAN

curb your enthusiasm is one
    curb your enthusiasm is one of my favorite shows and I know that episode very well! Whenever I got diagnosed, i immediately thought of that episode!