XELIRI regimen questions

traci43
traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all - Yesterday I had my first round of irinotecan and avastin. Today I start xeloda, 4 pills 2x a day for seven days. Off for a week, then back in for another round. Most folks seems to do two weeks and off one, so I'm wodnering if anyone is doing one on, one off? I did one round of oxy, avastin and xeloda in January 2009 and got foot blisters on day 14. I wanted to try it again because the fatigue is so much less than with 5-FU pump. My onc is doing it this was to hopefully minimze the blistering so I can stay on it.

Last night I was really tired and nauseous, even with taking 2 compazine. This morning I feel much better, but still some mild waves of nausea after taking Zofran. I need to go eat and take the Xeloda.

Here's hoping that the new regimen, kicks some cancer butt! Traci

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    uggg, nausea!
    I haven't done Xeloda, but I never got any relief from compazine, and none from zofran on chemo. Emend/decadron combo was the only thing that worked for the chemo nausea for me. Funmny, zofran works fine for me for other types of nausea, just never for the chemo nausea. I sure hope this regimen works well for you! Talk to your doc about getting better control of the nausea, it really makes a big difference on how we feel about our chemo days! Stay strong and I continue to pray for you, we seem to be on similar tracks!
    mary
  • traci43
    msccolon said:

uggg, nausea!
    I haven't done Xeloda, but I never got any relief from compazine, and none from zofran on chemo. Emend/decadron combo was the only thing that worked for the chemo nausea for me. Funmny, zofran works fine for me for other types of nausea, just never for the chemo nausea. I sure hope this regimen works well for you! Talk to your doc about getting better control of the nausea, it really makes a big difference on how we feel about our chemo days! Stay strong and I continue to pray for you, we seem to be on similar tracks!
    mary

nausea better today
    Thanks Mary - Yes, I will definitely mention the nausea next time I go in. I can't do the steriods because of my acid reflux--it actually makes matters worse. At least I feel like I can do things today, whereas yesterday was very slow. Take care, traci
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    traci43 said:

nausea better today
    Thanks Mary - Yes, I will definitely mention the nausea next time I go in. I can't do the steriods because of my acid reflux--it actually makes matters worse. At least I feel like I can do things today, whereas yesterday was very slow. Take care, traci

glad today is better
    Wow, I hope they can get something that WILL work for you then next time! So glad you are getting to feel better today, pray it continues!
    mary
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209
    msccolon said:

glad today is better
    Wow, I hope they can get something that WILL work for you then next time! So glad you are getting to feel better today, pray it continues!
    mary

I am on the same schedule as
    I am on the same schedule as you. Xeloda on for 7 days off for 7 days. Irronoteacan and avastin every every week. I asked my onc about the schedule, when I noticed many others were on the 3 week schedule. He said that it is based on the Xeloda schedule, which he feels is better on a two week cycle.

I found that Emend really helped me with the nauseau. I also got delayed diarreah which they are going to start giving me a shot of something once a month that is supposed to help.

I did lose all of my hair on this treatment, but many others did not. I got a good wig and actually got over it very quickly, which surprised me.

Good Luck. Brenda
  • ktlcs
    ktlcs Member Posts: 358

I am on the same schedule as you. Xeloda on for 7 days off for 7 days. Irronoteacan and avastin every every week. I asked my onc about the schedule, when I noticed many others were on the 3 week schedule. He said that it is based on the Xeloda schedule, which he feels is better on a two week cycle.

I found that Emend really helped me with the nauseau. I also got delayed diarreah which they are going to start giving me a shot of something once a month that is supposed to help.

I did lose all of my hair on this treatment, but many others did not. I got a good wig and actually got over it very quickly, which surprised me.

Good Luck. Brenda

Same
    My husband was on the same, 1 week on 1 off and he tolerated it very well. One hint take it 30 minutes after you eat not right before and not while your eating, stomach seems to accept it much better that way
  • traci43
    ktlcs said:

Same
    My husband was on the same, 1 week on 1 off and he tolerated it very well. One hint take it 30 minutes after you eat not right before and not while your eating, stomach seems to accept it much better that way

good idea
    Last night and this morning I ate almost everything then took the pills. Much better. The first time I just did not eat enough--not even 1/2 a muffin. Needless to say I learned my lesson. Thanks, Traci
  • traci43

Good Luck. Brenda

hair loss
    I am a bit worried about the hair loss. I'm glad you were able to deal with it. Not sure I could! Thanks for the insight, Traci
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    traci43 said:

hair loss
    I am a bit worried about the hair loss. I'm glad you were able to deal with it. Not sure I could! Thanks for the insight, Traci

Traci
    I lost most of my hair with irenotecan, but then it started growing back. It did not bother me as much as I thought it would + it has been fun watching it grow back.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member

Good Luck. Brenda

Brenda
    Good for you!
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    different schedule
    Hi. I'm on Xeliri plus Avastin. I have a slightly different schedule. I do the irinotecan and avastin every 2 weeks. For the Xeloda, I take 3 pills, 2x/day. I do 4 days on, 3 days off (then repeat) -- should equal 14 days! I started with 5 days on, 2 days off, but I am having 'moderate' hand-foot syndrome from the Xeloda. Just FYI -- I'm aware that there are different schedules -- whatever works!

I'm tolerating the regime pretty well. My main complaint is hand-foot (from Xeloda). I had some acute diarrhea from irinotecan but that settled down (not sure why). Some fatigue.

Interesting fact -- my hair lasted until cycle 10/11 -- just started wearing a wig this week (and my family/loved ones promised me to be brutally honest about "it's time"). So I lasted longer than I'd thought.

Good luck, Xeliri friends!

Love,
    Tara
  • ritaclough
    ritaclough Member Posts: 44
    Reeds all natural ginger RX for nausea. Relieves nausea without drowsines for me :~) I also drink their ginger ale which is yummy and helps

http://www.reedsinc.com/reeds-rx/
  • ritaclough
    ritaclough Member Posts: 44

Reeds all natural ginger RX for nausea. Relieves nausea without drowsines for me :~) I also drink their ginger ale which is yummy and helps

http://www.reedsinc.com/reeds-rx/

wig
    Oh and my hair thinned from my last chemo regimen a year ago to the point I needed a wig. I am now on my second round of chemos and suspect I'll lose it again...oh well heehee... I went threw a few wigs before I found just the right one but I'm still wearing my wig as I love it!!!! Get a good wig not a cheap one and you will be amazed...I think I'm a lifer in a wig now....its better then my real hair ever thought of being lol