A Bit Frustrated

Lori-S
Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I’m a bit frustrated with the way things went at my onc appointment. There is good news and not so good news and I’m just kind of out of sorts while still processing it.

Good news, all my counts are good, my oxy side effects are gone, and we made sure that I get pre-meds and a much slower infusion next time.

The other … well, it’s new news but, not new news so here is an explanation:

When diagnosed before surgery, with just scans etc, I was told, you are most likely a stage 4 but, we will know better after surgery, Why a 4? Well, I had the obvious large colon tumor, suspicious lymph nodes, and 2 suspicious spots, one on my lower spine and one on my pelvic bone but, nothing showing on liver or lungs.

After surgery and after the pathology report came back I was told by the surgeon that I was a stage 2 because there was nothing found in the 18 removed lymph nodes. Sounded good to me after all he was the one in there looking around at everything.

However, after surgery but still in the hospital the oncologist said that after reading the surgical report on the nature of the tumor, where it and how it had advanced, spots on the bones and where the now suspicious lymph nodes (not removed and showing after surgery) were located, she said they were considered borderline distant lymph nodes, she would stage me a 4. Got that?

First onc visit (not my current onc) I was told I was a stage 2 because there was nothing in the lymph nodes that were removed therefore, the spots couldn’t be mets because they weren't in the liver or the lungs and the lymph nodes could be anything and he said that his radiologist considered the spinal spot to be degenerative disease. He said that the pelvic spot could be anything and probably was just something on the film. I could do or not do chemo, it was up to me.

My current onc, on my first visit said that he wanted to treat me as a stage 3 because of the lymph nodes and the rate that my CEA was raising. But, now changed his mind as he said that after the whole team took a look at the big picture (and he pretty much repeated what the onc said to me in the hospital) they are treating me as a stage 4.

I didn’t think it was really bothering me until I posted on another site in response to someone else’s question about their stage 2 situation and realized that I kind of typed more about it than I meant to. So, I’m re-visiting it and a little off center about it right now.

So somehow, I've made it from a 2 to a 4 with nothing really changing except my CEA going up. What the hell am I? Do I really need a number? Do I get to pick the number I like best? Do I just pick a 3 because it's a compromise and in the middle? Whose number really counts? Will it really make a difference? I know that it makes a difference in someone’s numbers somewhere but, I mean will it make a difference to me?

Comments

• dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Frustrating
    I am sorry Lori....this whole cancer thing can be such a roller coaster and our mind can drive us so crazy....here is just my opinion.....I know that no one wants to be a Stage 4 (I am one of them)however the benefit that I see if they classify you as such, is that you get to get the "big guns" of chemo. Now I know that might not sound like an advantage but even my surgeon had told me that being a 4 and being able to add Avastin to the treatment was a blessing in his eyes...so that was how I tried to look at it.

Smiles,
    Dawn
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    dmdwins said:

Frustrating
    I am sorry Lori....this whole cancer thing can be such a roller coaster and our mind can drive us so crazy....here is just my opinion.....I know that no one wants to be a Stage 4 (I am one of them)however the benefit that I see if they classify you as such, is that you get to get the "big guns" of chemo. Now I know that might not sound like an advantage but even my surgeon had told me that being a 4 and being able to add Avastin to the treatment was a blessing in his eyes...so that was how I tried to look at it.

Smiles,
    Dawn

So I understand ( you know some times is difificult to me) that
    lymph nodes, liver pelvis or any other part is not affected isn't?
    Cheer up !
  • okthen
    okthen Member Posts: 232
    dmdwins said:

Frustrating

Smiles,
    Dawn

So sorry Lori! I feel your
    So sorry Lori! I feel your frustration, wish I had some magic words to take it away.

With Jack I held on to "Carcinoma in situ" with all fours,vomited when he was bumped to Stage 3, and almost had a stroke waiting on his last CT results, fearing we would move on up to Stage 4.

You just want to KNOW, sounds like a reasonable request to me.

I agree that we can't get wrapped up in numbers, but if you're anything like me I just need to KNOW whats what to start with, process that, then move forward.

I find it hard also when the medical pro's that we hand our life to, don't agree, or give mixed signals. I just want us all to get along and play nice...the problem is we're not all at the same play date at the same time...(o:
    Keep up your good fight...next I want to see a humorous post regarding this sit-e-ation.
    Sending you HUGS and Support!
    Chriss
  • Lori-S
    pepebcn said:

So I understand ( you know some times is difificult to me) that
    lymph nodes, liver pelvis or any other part is not affected isn't?
    Cheer up !

Pepe
    No liver, no lungs. Lymph nodes, CEA up more again and bone spots.
  • pepebcn
    Lori-S said:

Pepe
    No liver, no lungs. Lymph nodes, CEA up more again and bone spots.

is it possible to have a pet?
    You say there are only suspects isn't ?
  • Lori-S
    pepebcn said:

is it possible to have a pet?
    You say there are only suspects isn't ?

We'll see about the PET
    Cost is a bit of a problem right now as I'm uninsured and cancer eats up your bank account!
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Stage
    I think the difference that it will make is whether you will be able to have Avastin as part of your treatment or not. If you have identifiable lymph nodes why not go after them with guns blazing? I guess I would rather be treated more aggressively if I was borderline.
  • pepebcn
    Lori-S said:

We'll see about the PET
    Cost is a bit of a problem right now as I'm uninsured and cancer eats up your bank account!

Well ,as per you say, so many changes in the whole story ...
    thats why l would have a pet to confirm about lymph nodes unfortunately even been just one node if is a distant one and not local is considered as a met!So the treatment can be different, as you know in my case radio! So speak to your onc about how he is so sure that nodes are affected and in positive case if he is going to change the plan!.
    Best and hugs dear.
    Cheer up, by the way no more blue gap on my avatar! LOL.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Lori
    So sorry for this confusion. I try not to focus on my stage, maybe I am in denial but I find if I think about stages too much it is depressing. The important thing to me is to be treated appropriately, and not be put in a "box".
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Between the stage III rectal and the stage II breast....
    I guess I'm a stage 5!!!!!

I know that it DOES seem that no one knows for sure, but, really, they have your best survival interest at heart....

I was under the impression that stage II can also need chemo/rads...based on the type and size of the tumor...I was initially staged a II, and has pre-operative chemo/rads to shrink the size before attempting to remove it. By the time the surgery happened, the chemo/rads had done such a good job, that the surgeon could not find any evidence left of the tumor at all.....so, surgically, I was staged a 0....lol!

I can't advise you as to your choice, but I never regretted the rads...turns out, my type of colon cancer is VERY responsive to chemo/rads...

Hugs, Kathi
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    two or three or four
    My understanding with my many years experience with my cancer is that even most stage 2's get recommended for chemo to the same level as stage 3's (all levels of stage 3's). I am a stage 3c this time but have been a stage 3b last time. Regardless, we all generally get the standard chemo usually Folfox or Xeloda. Now a lot of stage 4's do get some additional chemo depending on several factors. My point is considering that they treat stage 2's and stage 3's pretty much the same this is why your in the Folfox Club. Wouldn't they if they think there a possible areas of concern that the onc would order a pet scan and maybe consider adding some radiation or more drugs if something is found? You know they will order a pet scan when the chemo is done to verify you are NED and you will be NED!!! I am not going through this crap chemo with you for either of us to fail. Sometimes doctors can't get their acts together so they are no help and rarely supportive. But that is why we are here- support;knowledge;experience. I know your scared so is everybody here and no matter what stage... You got this! Hugs Lou Folfox Club
  • Lori-S
    LOUSWIFT said:

two or three or four
    My understanding with my many years experience with my cancer is that even most stage 2's get recommended for chemo to the same level as stage 3's (all levels of stage 3's). I am a stage 3c this time but have been a stage 3b last time. Regardless, we all generally get the standard chemo usually Folfox or Xeloda. Now a lot of stage 4's do get some additional chemo depending on several factors. My point is considering that they treat stage 2's and stage 3's pretty much the same this is why your in the Folfox Club. Wouldn't they if they think there a possible areas of concern that the onc would order a pet scan and maybe consider adding some radiation or more drugs if something is found? You know they will order a pet scan when the chemo is done to verify you are NED and you will be NED!!! I am not going through this crap chemo with you for either of us to fail. Sometimes doctors can't get their acts together so they are no help and rarely supportive. But that is why we are here- support;knowledge;experience. I know your scared so is everybody here and no matter what stage... You got this! Hugs Lou Folfox Club

Lou
    Like you said about the treatment being the same whether 2 or 3, We're figuring that I'll do the FOLFOX anyway so it's not that big a deal right now and revisit of the other issues during and after to see what next. I think that my CEA numbers have them the most upset. The 1st number is pre-surgical, the 2nd is post-surgical. The last jump that was only 9 days in-between draws is why the team got involved. They re-did my CEA again yesterday but,it will be an after chemo draw so who knows what that will really tell. I don't have that one back, will get it on Monday when I go in for chemo. Here's what my CEA has done pre-chemo:

05/14/10       9.7
    05/22/10       2.3
    08/11/10       4.6
    09/15/10       5.6
    10/13/10       6.8
    10/22/10       8.3

Here's to hoping the FOLFOX does the trick and that's all I need to do.
  • Lori-S
    pepebcn said:

Well ,as per you say, so many changes in the whole story ...
    thats why l would have a pet to confirm about lymph nodes unfortunately even been just one node if is a distant one and not local is considered as a met!So the treatment can be different, as you know in my case radio! So speak to your onc about how he is so sure that nodes are affected and in positive case if he is going to change the plan!.
    Best and hugs dear.
    Cheer up, by the way no more blue gap on my avatar! LOL.

YAY Pepe
    I love that avatar picture. It's so nice to see you and Tote.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    KathiM said:

Between the stage III rectal and the stage II breast....
    I guess I'm a stage 5!!!!!

I know that it DOES seem that no one knows for sure, but, really, they have your best survival interest at heart....

I was under the impression that stage II can also need chemo/rads...based on the type and size of the tumor...I was initially staged a II, and has pre-operative chemo/rads to shrink the size before attempting to remove it. By the time the surgery happened, the chemo/rads had done such a good job, that the surgeon could not find any evidence left of the tumor at all.....so, surgically, I was staged a 0....lol!

I can't advise you as to your choice, but I never regretted the rads...turns out, my type of colon cancer is VERY responsive to chemo/rads...

Hugs, Kathi

Yikes!
    I don't want to use your system. That makes me Stage II cervical + Stage IV colon = Stage VI. Not going there....
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Frustrating
    It is frustrating when they just can't tell for sure. I had the same situation. There was a spot on my liver and two upper abdominal lymph nodes that lit up on a PET post surgery. They couldn't be sure if those were cancer, or just surgery trauma since I was only two weeks out from surgery. My onc choose to go with surgery trauma and treat me as Stage IIIc.

In hindsight, I wish I'd been staged IV from the start. Because that is what I was. Instead, when FOLFOX was doing its job and I had clear PETs in December and May, with my CEA staying down at 2 from December forward, I was considered NED. My oncologist told me to go ahead and get my port out. But then at my very first 3 month CEA check - it was up. Yep, Stage IV due to 3 lymph nodes in upper abdomen (para aortic).

Now you might wonder why I would have wanted to be staged at IV initially. It is because I would have had Avastin added to my treatment. And possibly instead of FOLFOX, I would have done FOLFIRI. I am responding very quickly to the FOLFIRI w/Avastin. Instead of my CEA rising for a while and then coming down, it immediately started dropping.

When you are staged at IV, you are eligible for trials and drugs not used for lower staging. While I would have loved to truly only be a Stage II or III, with a questionable situation, I think you are better off if they go ahead and bump you up, making you eligible for more options for treatment. So I'd actually encourage your oncologist to officially stage you at IV.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi Lori,
    I wish that I could

Hi Lori,

I wish that I could just give you big hug right now. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. But maybe I can help you in regard to the insurance problem for the PetCT. When we had first found out about the colon cancer, we weren't sure if the insurance would cover some of the costs, but the surgeon told us not to worry - the hospital has funds put aside for these types of life saving tests just in case the patient doesn't have insurance. Therefore, I would recommend talking to the doctor about this and also to the Patient Financial Assistance Rep. at the hospital to see if they can help you out. In fact, another local hospital wiped out a $5k CT scan bill when Rick was diagnosed with colon cancer since he was out of work. So, please, look into it...it could save your life! Take care,and best wishes always, Cynthia
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry
    Don't have an answer for you. Just has to be hard going from 2 to 4 and seems like no one can decide what you are and how they want to treat it. Prayers are with you.

Kim
  • Lori-S

Hi Lori,
    I wish that I could

Hi Lori,

I wish that I could just give you big hug right now. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. But maybe I can help you in regard to the insurance problem for the PetCT. When we had first found out about the colon cancer, we weren't sure if the insurance would cover some of the costs, but the surgeon told us not to worry - the hospital has funds put aside for these types of life saving tests just in case the patient doesn't have insurance. Therefore, I would recommend talking to the doctor about this and also to the Patient Financial Assistance Rep. at the hospital to see if they can help you out. In fact, another local hospital wiped out a $5k CT scan bill when Rick was diagnosed with colon cancer since he was out of work. So, please, look into it...it could save your life! Take care,and best wishes always, Cynthia

Thanks everyone
    I really appreciate the input. I think it bothered me more than it might have because I'm just so tired and it was a such chore just to get out and spend the day at the oncs. That darn chemo is an absolute 5 on the F***U scale (hahaha ... 5FU get it?)     :)

Cynthia, thanks for that suggestion. I will definitely check into it. I think the onc was planning on waiting until after FOLFOX for a PET and was just going to do CTs and CEA during chemo. I'll bring it up next time I see him. I'm sure if anything changes that he will want the PET sooner and it's good to know that I might be able to work with the hospital on it.

Kathryn, thanks for that insight in the difference in treatment for you.

Again, everyone thanks for your words. It's good to have you on my side when I'm feeling this way. Feel the love!
  • pepebcn
    Lori-S said:

YAY Pepe
    I love that avatar picture. It's so nice to see you and Tote.

thank you
    dear!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

Sorry
    Don't have an answer for you. Just has to be hard going from 2 to 4 and seems like no one can decide what you are and how they want to treat it. Prayers are with you.

Kim

I would and am treating it all as if it was Stage 4...
    I never want to look back and wish I had done something I haven't......Stage 5 is what you don't want...So, do whatever it takes as long as thats what you want.....Even if Folfox doesn't get it all, it will still kick most of its butt...I say the less indians you have surrounding the wagon the better off the wagon will end up....do whats necessary to satisfy yourself that you have done all you can to stop it....and then you'll be ok.....Love to ya Lori....Clift