Tomorrow is a big day---UPDATE disappointing

Comments

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    pepebcn said:

Lynph nodes
    I got them affected too , in retroperitoneal area, we are radiating it and once radiated will remove it with surgery, so nobody told me about what you have been told! what about other opinion?
    Have a big hug.

I asked about radiation
    Pepe - I asked my HMO surgeon about radiation as mine are in the same general area as yours. He did not want to do it. I was so devastated yesterday that I forgot to ask Dr. Lowy. I've been told that I don't want radiation as it really bothers your rectum. If it could kill the cancer, I'd do anything. I'll ask again about radiation. Thanks, Traci
  • traci43

Hi Traci,
    I can't offer any

Hi Traci,

I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Best wishes always, Cynthia

thanks
    thanks!
  • traci43
    Lori-S said:

Hey Traci
    It's good to hear that you made it to SD on time. I'm sorry that you can't just have your surgery as you wanted. I'm sure that with the lymph node involvement the doctors really want to treat that as effectively as possible. Be a good girl and take your medicine. :)

I always think that supplementing and eating right is a good thing. Don't worry so much about all sugar as it's the refined processed sugar that seems to be the worse. Our bodies do need sugar ... just not all the white refined sugar that seems to be everywhere. Let us know what you find out in regards to the supplements you take and remember to let the onc know which ones so they help treatment and not hinder it.

lori
    Yeah, I'm more concerned about the white sugar, flour, etc. than sugar in fruit. I'll definitely be running the supplements by the board once I her from the Doctor. My appointment is not until November 22. And yes, I will be a big girl and take my medicine starting Friday. It will be XELIRI with Avastin (I think I spelled it right). Not had this before, hope it works. All previous chemo was FOLFOX with and without Avastin.
  • traci43
    plh4gail said:

Traci
    Oh I see...well I do wish you the best of luck. Even though I am new with all of this, I feel like I have been through so much. I have so many questions myself, but feel I may have some info for other's. Thought's, well wishes, and prayers are with you!

Yes, for my surgery, Dr says he got it all. I hate the iliostomy, and I'm very glad it will be reversed soon. I give so much credit to all the ostomates out there!

Gail

Sounds like you are doing well
    Gail - Sounds like you're doing great. Hope the reversal goes well. I was concerned about the possibility of having one if I had had surgery, so that's a small relief to me. Don't be afraid to ask questions or post comments. We all learn from each other. Thanks for speaking up and trying to help. Traci
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    traci43 said:

thanks
    thanks!

Once again......I may be chasing rabbits here but it may be
    something to check out...ire nanoknife...for the tumors...electricity induced to the tumors by electrodes slid into the tumor itself and it kills them from the inside out with absolutely no surrounding tissue damage. Not like others that either freeze or burn in which surrounding tissue does take on collateral damage...ire nanoknife does not...I may be bringing this up to often but its another possible option to look into...If your Dr does not like it, then maybe you need to make a call and see if maybe the hospitals that do offer it might want to try what yours has no accessibility to...Its a longshot but not as long as you might think, all they can say is no, and you have already heard that so whats to not gain from it ???

Love and hope to you and yours, Clift
  • traci43
    Buzzard said:

Once again......I may be chasing rabbits here but it may be
    something to check out...ire nanoknife...for the tumors...electricity induced to the tumors by electrodes slid into the tumor itself and it kills them from the inside out with absolutely no surrounding tissue damage. Not like others that either freeze or burn in which surrounding tissue does take on collateral damage...ire nanoknife does not...I may be bringing this up to often but its another possible option to look into...If your Dr does not like it, then maybe you need to make a call and see if maybe the hospitals that do offer it might want to try what yours has no accessibility to...Its a longshot but not as long as you might think, all they can say is no, and you have already heard that so whats to not gain from it ???

Love and hope to you and yours, Clift

that's new to me
    Clift - that's soemthing new. I'll mention it tothe surgeon when I see him. Thanks & take care, Traci
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    traci43 said:

that's new to me
    Clift - that's soemthing new. I'll mention it tothe surgeon when I see him. Thanks & take care, Traci

Don't worry if he doesn't agree...
    he may not if its not available to him for you...You may need to take the bull by the horns and make all arrangements for this without consulting him if he says no...remember he is suppose to work for your best interest. Are you happy 100% and trust him then I say great but if you have any doubt all it is is a call.....Love and Hope, Clift
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Traci
    I am sorry for your disappointment. I am thinking of you.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Sorry
    I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you want, but hopefully the meds will help your situation and enable you to get ahead of the game.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Traci
    Hi Traci,

I'm sorry you had disappointing news confirmed from Dr. Lowy. Dr. Lowy was my surgeon when I had my liver resection in May '08. I really liked him and loved how he spent so much time with me each appointment.
    I do want to point something out, however. Dr. Lowy is a surgeon- surgeons usually only think in terms of surgery or not- they are not going to be someone to recommend other types of procedures. I would still check into the stereotactic radiation that they do at Moores/UCSD and also check out cyberknife. There is a cyberknife center in Vista in north county and another in San Diego. It wouldn't hurt to contact a center and send them a copy of your latest scans and see what they think. Also, look into the nanoknife that Buzzard just mentioned. He mentioned it to me also & I am going to look further into it after I see what my situation is (scan tomorrow, results Friday).
    I did google "nanoknife locations" and found a list of the places that do nanoknife in the country. The only location in California that does nanoknife according to this list is at UCI (Univ of Irvine, in Orange County).
    I actually sent an email inquiry about it a couple of days ago to them, but have not received a reply yet.
    The plus of doing something like radiation, cyberknife, or nanoknife (electricity, not radiation) is that you could do it without having to stop the chemo. For surgery, chemo has to be stopped several weeks before and after surgery.

Take care and keep searching out options-

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • traci43
    lisa42 said:

Traci
    Hi Traci,

I'm sorry you had disappointing news confirmed from Dr. Lowy. Dr. Lowy was my surgeon when I had my liver resection in May '08. I really liked him and loved how he spent so much time with me each appointment.
    I do want to point something out, however. Dr. Lowy is a surgeon- surgeons usually only think in terms of surgery or not- they are not going to be someone to recommend other types of procedures. I would still check into the stereotactic radiation that they do at Moores/UCSD and also check out cyberknife. There is a cyberknife center in Vista in north county and another in San Diego. It wouldn't hurt to contact a center and send them a copy of your latest scans and see what they think. Also, look into the nanoknife that Buzzard just mentioned. He mentioned it to me also & I am going to look further into it after I see what my situation is (scan tomorrow, results Friday).
    I did google "nanoknife locations" and found a list of the places that do nanoknife in the country. The only location in California that does nanoknife according to this list is at UCI (Univ of Irvine, in Orange County).
    I actually sent an email inquiry about it a couple of days ago to them, but have not received a reply yet.
    The plus of doing something like radiation, cyberknife, or nanoknife (electricity, not radiation) is that you could do it without having to stop the chemo. For surgery, chemo has to be stopped several weeks before and after surgery.

Take care and keep searching out options-

Hugs,
    Lisa

thanks Lisa & Clift
    I will continue to research other options. I am glad to be starting something, even if it's jsut chemo. There's always the worry that it's growing inside. Someone had suggested a Doc at UCSD/Moore's but I was so devastated by Dr. Lowy's recommendation that I totally forgot to ask about it. I think I'll start this line of inquiry with my medical onc rather than the surgeon. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks, Traci
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    traci43 said:

I asked about radiation
    Pepe - I asked my HMO surgeon about radiation as mine are in the same general area as yours. He did not want to do it. I was so devastated yesterday that I forgot to ask Dr. Lowy. I've been told that I don't want radiation as it really bothers your rectum. If it could kill the cancer, I'd do anything. I'll ask again about radiation. Thanks, Traci

Lymph nodes.
    Traci : Knowing as I know my docs, onc,radio oncologist ,and surgeon lm sure they would avoid me the radio if they wouldn't be pretty sure that lymph nodes can be irradiated successfully ,actually they have explained to me lots of successful stories.This is just to treat the lymph mets ,so may be l had not explained it properly , but you know that this is a condition to be operated of any other organ!
    I would suggest an app.with a radio oncologist !
    Hugs!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Opinion
    It's hard when you have an opinion about something and then the doctor you see has a different one. Guess you just have to be your own advocate. Hoping that whatever you decide, it's the right decision that you can be happy with. Good luck and will be thinking of you. And please don't give up, you have much to live for. Just remind yourself of that beautiful picture that you have showing us all how happy you are.

Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    traci43 said:

thanks Lisa & Clift
    I will continue to research other options. I am glad to be starting something, even if it's jsut chemo. There's always the worry that it's growing inside. Someone had suggested a Doc at UCSD/Moore's but I was so devastated by Dr. Lowy's recommendation that I totally forgot to ask about it. I think I'll start this line of inquiry with my medical onc rather than the surgeon. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks, Traci

Dr. Fanta
    Traci,

Although my regular onc is not at UCSD, I have consulted a few times with Dr. Fanta at UCSD. My regular onc up in Vista consults with him regularly about me & Dr. Fanta is nice enough to keep that communication going even though I'm not a paying patient to him (my insurance allows me to consult w/ someone outside of my main network once a year). I had an appt set up w/ him a few months back and insurance denied it. I was ready to pay cash for it, but Dr. Fanta called me the evening before and said we could talk about it over the phone. He spent a good 1/2 hr on the phone w/ me that evening all for no payment. I have a friend who goes to him regularly and he had recommended the radiation onc there to her. This friend loves the radiation onc (who, by the way, travels to Encinitas in north county at the San Diego Cancer Center a couple of times a week- so it would save you some miles there). I think his name might be Dr. Lawson. Do follow up with that, even once you've started on the chemo.

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Traci
    I am sorry that you didn't get the news that you wanted to hear. I know that that is very hard. I have no practical advice for you other than to continue on to another opinion if possible.

I know I have mentioned it before but the father of one of our best friend's was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer many years ago. The cancer went from his colon right to the nodes in his neck and chest. He had one of the neck nodes biopsied to confirm the diagnosis. At the time the doctors refused to operate on the colon as they told him it wasn't necessary and that he needed to be treated for the systemic disease. Long story short is that he did 6 months FOLFOX/Avastin (which was new at the time) and the nodes all disappeared. None were removed surgically. He then had his colon surgery. This past April marked his 6 year NED.

You can do this. Chemo sucks, no one can really say otherwise but definitely look into alternative methods to use concurrently. Please advise your doctor, however, if your plans include any kind of supplements.

Good thoughts and prayers to you,
    Amy
  • traci43
    lisa42 said:

Dr. Fanta
    Traci,

Although my regular onc is not at UCSD, I have consulted a few times with Dr. Fanta at UCSD. My regular onc up in Vista consults with him regularly about me & Dr. Fanta is nice enough to keep that communication going even though I'm not a paying patient to him (my insurance allows me to consult w/ someone outside of my main network once a year). I had an appt set up w/ him a few months back and insurance denied it. I was ready to pay cash for it, but Dr. Fanta called me the evening before and said we could talk about it over the phone. He spent a good 1/2 hr on the phone w/ me that evening all for no payment. I have a friend who goes to him regularly and he had recommended the radiation onc there to her. This friend loves the radiation onc (who, by the way, travels to Encinitas in north county at the San Diego Cancer Center a couple of times a week- so it would save you some miles there). I think his name might be Dr. Lawson. Do follow up with that, even once you've started on the chemo.

Hugs,
    Lisa

thanks Lisa
    I did ask my medical onc to refer me to a radiation onc, the first step. If I don't like what I hear there, I will suggest the Dr. at UCSD. I'm willing to pay out of pocket for a consult if my HMO won't pay. I'm not givcing up this easil. Thanks, traci
  • traci43
    mom_2_3 said:

Traci
    I am sorry that you didn't get the news that you wanted to hear. I know that that is very hard. I have no practical advice for you other than to continue on to another opinion if possible.

I know I have mentioned it before but the father of one of our best friend's was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer many years ago. The cancer went from his colon right to the nodes in his neck and chest. He had one of the neck nodes biopsied to confirm the diagnosis. At the time the doctors refused to operate on the colon as they told him it wasn't necessary and that he needed to be treated for the systemic disease. Long story short is that he did 6 months FOLFOX/Avastin (which was new at the time) and the nodes all disappeared. None were removed surgically. He then had his colon surgery. This past April marked his 6 year NED.

You can do this. Chemo sucks, no one can really say otherwise but definitely look into alternative methods to use concurrently. Please advise your doctor, however, if your plans include any kind of supplements.

Good thoughts and prayers to you,
    Amy

thanks Amy
    I'm really hoping that the chemo does knock out the lymph nodes so the can do something about the 1 tumor. FOLFOX no longer works for me so it's on to XELIRI. Hopefully, the inirocetan will knock the cancer out. Traci
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    traci43 said:

thanks Amy
    I'm really hoping that the chemo does knock out the lymph nodes so the can do something about the 1 tumor. FOLFOX no longer works for me so it's on to XELIRI. Hopefully, the inirocetan will knock the cancer out. Traci

I was in folfiri avastin .
    Which nearly the same as yours, and it worked very very well! .
    I'm sure will works with you too!
    Hugs!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    pepebcn said:

I was in folfiri avastin .
    Which nearly the same as yours, and it worked very very well! .
    I'm sure will works with you too!
    Hugs!

Bummer
    Just letting you know that I am thinking about you...hope it works out for you.
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    traci43 said:

I asked about radiation

Radiation
    I have stage IV rectal, wit no organ mets. Currently in radiation, the first four weeks were uneventful, but this last week took the pain to new levels, but even that is limited to bowel movements. I am surprised your HMO doc feels that way...