Scan Issues, Big Bump In The Road, Anyone Know About IRE Nanoknife?

Patti1
Patti1 Member Posts: 109 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
We went to get our Scan Results to be told that we have an issue, the scan shows a grape sized spot on his liver. (oh no) im scared. His Oncologist is going to do a PET Scan ASAP to make sure that it lites up. The doctor then talked to us about options and explained that surgery for him was out as he has already had a liver resection and he did not want to bomb his body with anymore chemo. He has suggested something new called IRE Nanoknife,
I guess we are fortunate that our Cancer Center SHands University of Florida has one of these machines as there are only 10 in the US and 20 in the World. Does anyone know about this procedure? And then what do we do?? Oh Boy......I need some words of encouragement,thanks for all of you being here for me, as I know you understand where I am at ,in my mind right now. He is not saying anything. I am trying so hard to be strong for him, I always try to smile and never let him see my tears or even worst my fears. Love you all. Patti

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Posted March 5th 2010.....New Press release
    Posted: 9:54 AM Mar 5, 2010
    UF Radiologists Among The First 10 In The U.S. To Kill Soft-Cell Cancer Tumors With The IRE NanoKnife
    Image-guided system uses targeted electric field to destroy tumor cells from the inside out.
    Reporter: Press Release
    Email Address: news@wctv.tv

Press Release:

GAINESVILLE, Fla., —

Radiologists at Shands at the University of Florida have used nanotechnology to precisely deliver electrical currents to destroy tumor cells in a patient with colon cancer.

On Feb. 25, James Caridi, M.D., and Jeffrey Vogel, M.D., interventional radiologists with the UF College of Medicine and the UF Shands Cancer Center, led a team using the IRE NanoKnife system to remove a malignant liver tumor in a 52-year-old patient with metastatic colon cancer.

Only 10 teams in the United States and 20 worldwide have used the technology, produced by AngioDynamics, Inc.

It works by using computerized tomography or ultrasound imaging to guide two or more fine-needle electrodes into the tumor. The electrodes deliver high-voltage, pulsating electrical currents that open microscopic pores in the cancer cells, rapidly killing the tumor. After such treatment, the body naturally removes the dead cancer cells.

“Interventional radiology is a rapidly emerging specialty in the oncology arena,” Caridi said. “We use precise imaging to diagnose and guide treatment of tumors using minimally invasive techniques.”

The NanoKnife procedure helps physicians minimize damage to the healthy tissue surrounding malignancies.

“Compared to traditional noninvasive techniques such as radiofrequency ablation or cryotherapy – which use extremely hot or cold temperatures, respectively – the NanoKnife significantly reduces so-called ‘collateral damage’ and scarring,” Caridi said.

The scar tissue left by these traditional procedures can make it difficult for physicians to determine if an entire tumor has been successfully treated. The NanoKnife does not produce scarring.

Shands patient Ashraf Elbohy, a pediatric neurologist from Orlando, was the 121st patient worldwide to have the procedure. Elbohy turned to UF after physicians in Tampa and Orlando told him the only treatment options were chemotherapy or surgery. Elbohy said he wanted an option other than chemotherapy, which would have an uncertain outcome, and surgery, which would have extended recovery time.

“Dr. Elbohy was ideally suited for this procedure with this technology,” Caridi said. “Using the NanoKnife, it was possible to destroy the tumor and potentially cure him of this cancer without damaging the surrounding tissue or the blood vessels that run very close to the tumor.”

Elbohy previously has undergone surgical resection, radiofrequency ablation, intraoperative chemotherapy and cryotherapy for recurrent liver tumors.

“Hopefully, my decision to use the NanoKnife not only will result in good outcomes for me, but will show other patients this is a safe and viable treatment for their cancer, further opening the door for improved cancer care in the future,” Elbohy said.

Vogel said that using the NanoKnife is the best option available to many patients with new or recurring soft-tissue tumors on their visceral organs, including the liver, prostate, lungs and kidneys. In many cases, it can eliminate the cancer completely.

“Although the other methods of treating tumors are good at killing the cancer, some tumors are too small or located too close to critical structures to risk surgery or exposure to extreme temperatures,” Vogel said. “For these cases, the NanoKnife may be both the best and only option the patient has for treating the cancer.”

The NanoKnife can be used to treat certain cancers, particularly those less than five centimeters in diameter. However, Vogel said it is not a replacement for traditional modalities, but “a powerful and precise weapon” to add to the growing number of medical and surgical treatments for fighting cancer.

Patti1......This sounds like a great interventional treatment for him. No scarring, no collateral damage to other surrounding tissue, no extreme hot or cold issues. simple electrical signals to destroy tumors from the inside out.....Yes, I would assuredly look further into this for him....and please tell him to talk about it...let him read this, it will maybe give him a "lifering" to grasp to. He is feeling very, very, left out of the medical opportunities that are out there. This may be his shining star....I think it will as well......Love and Hope to you both........Clift
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry
    I'm sorry but don't know anything about this procedure. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you both and pray that this works for him.

Kim
  • gonavy
    gonavy Member Posts: 1
    IRE NanoKnife
    I had the procedure on my prostate (first in U.S.) in June at U Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Clinic. Initial follow up PSA tests look good, will have another PSA in week or so. I believe they have done several procedures on liver. Absolutely no dis-respect intended for Shands (I'm a Gator!) but UM had the device for some time prior to Shands, so I suggest you contact Dr. G. Narayanan. interventional radiologist at UM Miller School of Medicine. Contact info should be available through search for Sylvester or Miller. May well be Shands is up to speed on this, but the more info you gather, the better. I chose IRE because "traditional" methods of treating prostate essentially remove or destroy the prostate, and risk of impotence and or incontinence. The NanoKnife concept is to destroy only the cancerous cells, leaving surrounding healthy tissue and nerves intact and functioning. In my case, all the "plumbing" still works as before. Because there is no actual "cutting" I experienced absolutely no pain or blood in urine, etc. They kept me overnight in recovery room primarily because procedure is new as a precaution, removed catheter early next AM, and I left before 11 AM.

Worse part was driving to Miami and back. I hope this helps, and needless to say I believe in NanoKnife. Want to repeat, Shands might be the best place for your husband, but suggest you at least ask Dr. Narayanan about his experience with liver cancers.
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    gonavy said:

IRE NanoKnife
    I had the procedure on my prostate (first in U.S.) in June at U Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Clinic. Initial follow up PSA tests look good, will have another PSA in week or so. I believe they have done several procedures on liver. Absolutely no dis-respect intended for Shands (I'm a Gator!) but UM had the device for some time prior to Shands, so I suggest you contact Dr. G. Narayanan. interventional radiologist at UM Miller School of Medicine. Contact info should be available through search for Sylvester or Miller. May well be Shands is up to speed on this, but the more info you gather, the better. I chose IRE because "traditional" methods of treating prostate essentially remove or destroy the prostate, and risk of impotence and or incontinence. The NanoKnife concept is to destroy only the cancerous cells, leaving surrounding healthy tissue and nerves intact and functioning. In my case, all the "plumbing" still works as before. Because there is no actual "cutting" I experienced absolutely no pain or blood in urine, etc. They kept me overnight in recovery room primarily because procedure is new as a precaution, removed catheter early next AM, and I left before 11 AM.

Worse part was driving to Miami and back. I hope this helps, and needless to say I believe in NanoKnife. Want to repeat, Shands might be the best place for your husband, but suggest you at least ask Dr. Narayanan about his experience with liver cancers.

A single met is good news
    Granted an clean scan is ideal but a single met is pretty good. There are dozens of ways to eliminate 1 met. RFA, cyberknife, nanoknife, novalis Tx, rapidarc, cryoablation, and embolisation to name a few. Try one of the less invasive treatments first and see how things go. You still have a few bumps in the road but it's all downhill.