Let's list all of the good things we can do for ourselves while in treatment and after treatment

hopeful girl 1
hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
Friends,

Let's list all of the things we can do for ourselves to help during treatments and or after treatments................

Exercise moderate........30 minutes 6 days a week..................(some have stated)

Eat a healthy diet.....

Relax, meditation, prayer, yoga....

Read positive books.....

Exercise but not with over exertion which can suppress immune system....

What are other things?

Hugs!

Cindy

Comments

• norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    laugh!!! love!!! and live
    Thanks for starting this discussion. {{{MUAAAHHH}} BIG HUG TO YOU

Laugh.

I was going through chemo last year in January. It was unseasonably cold for the south. I know you northerners would laugh at just how cold it was. Down in the 20's is very cold for us whose blood chills when the temp gets below 40 deg. Each Tuesday the garbage would have to go out before 6 am or we would have to wait til the next week. Hubby sleeps soundly, especially in the tween hours from 4 til 6. Whatever they juiced up the chemo with, steroids I think, made me feel strong like bull. So I would go and haul the garbage cans to the end of the drive in the dark cold night at 4 am. Dragging them (do not do this it is not smart for those of us who have an abdominal incision like Zorro down our belly) slowly over the drive, marveling at my strength and forgetting my stupidity.

I laughed at cancer. I laughed at the garbage. I did not however laugh at hubby's snores. After I had done this I would march back into the house and announce my achievement. Waking him up and saying well this cancer has not got the better of me. The old lady with the cancer just put the garbage out again.

Moral of the story. Action made me feel better about myself. I will not let cancer keep me from being active.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    norma2 said:

laugh!!! love!!! and live
    Thanks for starting this discussion. {{{MUAAAHHH}} BIG HUG TO YOU

Laugh.

I was going through chemo last year in January. It was unseasonably cold for the south. I know you northerners would laugh at just how cold it was. Down in the 20's is very cold for us whose blood chills when the temp gets below 40 deg. Each Tuesday the garbage would have to go out before 6 am or we would have to wait til the next week. Hubby sleeps soundly, especially in the tween hours from 4 til 6. Whatever they juiced up the chemo with, steroids I think, made me feel strong like bull. So I would go and haul the garbage cans to the end of the drive in the dark cold night at 4 am. Dragging them (do not do this it is not smart for those of us who have an abdominal incision like Zorro down our belly) slowly over the drive, marveling at my strength and forgetting my stupidity.

I laughed at cancer. I laughed at the garbage. I did not however laugh at hubby's snores. After I had done this I would march back into the house and announce my achievement. Waking him up and saying well this cancer has not got the better of me. The old lady with the cancer just put the garbage out again.

Moral of the story. Action made me feel better about myself. I will not let cancer keep me from being active.

Great story Norma. I can
    Great story Norma. I can relate!

I can just see you pulling those cans over the driveway. I imagine you as you completed this task so early in the morning, then raising your arms in the air (the sound of "Rocky" playing). lol Then I can see you looking around to see what else you can accomplish.

Keep on laughing, loving and living!

Kathy
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Don't Sweat the Small Stuff~~
    Erma Bombeck tells it all...I love this woman!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Passing the Purple Hat to You :

In honor of women's history month and in memory of Erma Bombeck who lost
    her fight with cancer.

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck
    (written after she found out she was dying of cancer)

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth
    would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it
    melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was
    stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried
    much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the
    fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his
    youth.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day
    because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more
    while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical,
    wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished
    every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the
    only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, 'Later. Now
    go get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love you's'
    More 'I'm sorry's.'

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute, look
    at it, and really see it . . live it and never give it back. STOP
    SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!

Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing
    what
    Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love
    us.
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Most definitely LIVE
    Hi All,

My gyn onc has prescribed a large dose of "LIVING" for me! I also have to report to her periodically exactly how I am LIVING. Just this past weekend, I took my grandkids to my place in Pa. for a Halloween party, a Haunted Hayride, a visit to a Haunted House and Trick or Treating in the community. In between all of this, we went to the playground where we all (Grandma included) went repeatedly down the slides, climbed up the rock wall, went up and down the poles, swung on the swings etc. etc. etc. My 5 1/2 year old grandson said, "Grandma Joyce, this is the best time we ever had at the Chipmunk House (the name they've given to distiguish that house from my "Long Island" house! Now that's what I call LIVING!!!

Let's always remind ourselves to do just that...LIVE!!!

Peace and hope, JJ
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    i love all the responses: now let's nott forget

meals with friends, walks and talks with friends, as well as with family. just don't forgot all the wonderful relationships we have that literally sustain us through thick and thin. and let's not forget our dogs and cats and other pets that love us so much. watching funny movies is good, as is watching some scary ones, for me. but not too scary....reading lots of mysteries is always fun for me, as well.

taking care of business, paying bills, cleaning out closets, file cabinets, making order, also makes me feel good. listening to beautiful or not so beautiful music......

keep all those suggestions comming in....

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    i love all the responses: now let's not forget

meals with friends, walks and talks with friends, as well as with family. just don't forgot all the wonderful relationships we have that literally sustain us through thick and thin. and let's not forget our dogs and cats and other pets that love us so much. watching funny movies is good, as is watching some scary ones, for me. but not too scary....reading lots of mysteries is always fun for me, as well.

taking care of business, paying bills, cleaning out closets, file cabinets, making order, also makes me feel good. listening to beautiful or not so beautiful music......

keep all those suggestions coming in....

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454

i love all the responses: now let's not forget

keep all those suggestions coming in....

sisterhood,
    maggie

Love the responses too!
    Love all of the responses.........live and enjoy!!!!