Could cyst on appendix be related to Kidney Cancer?

love4life
love4life Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
Ok. I'm the first to admit that when it comes to medical issues I'm not very knowledgable. My mom had a kidney removed last year and she just had her 1 year follow up. She has been told she has a small cyst on her appendix. Is it possible it could be a cancer reoccurance or is it just a cyst and I'm worrying too much? Thanks for any info you can provide in advance.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    My guess is no
    While my guess is no your mother or you have to ask the person who told her that she had a cyst on her appendix whether it is related to her Kidney Cancer and more importantly whether it is someyhing to be cocerned about. Also get a copy of the written rerort from the CT Scan or other test which describes this cyst.
  • Von55
    Von55 Member Posts: 57
    icemantoo said:

My guess is no
    While my guess is no your mother or you have to ask the person who told her that she had a cyst on her appendix whether it is related to her Kidney Cancer and more importantly whether it is someyhing to be cocerned about. Also get a copy of the written rerort from the CT Scan or other test which describes this cyst.

Cyst?
    Yep, I agree with icemantoo- find out as much as you can and get a copy of that report! Simple cysts are extremely common, esp as we get older. I had a partial nephrectomy 5wks ago, and despite having the upper pole of the kidney removed (along with the tumour) the cyst I have on that kidney wasn't touched- nor were the multiple cysts I have on my liver. I think it all depends on whether the cyst shows enhancement and calcification etc on CT scanning (which would take the cyst out of that "simple" category). This info should be provided by the report.
    All the best to you and your Mum!
    Von
  • blackbelt
    blackbelt Member Posts: 32
    kidney cancer recurrence info
    Tell your mom this is the process of living with kidney cancer, worrying its normal, have your mom demand a follow-up CT scan from her doctor ,suggest having a six-month follow-up to make sure the cyst hasn't grown, that way your mom's doctor can stay on top of her kidney cancer for the first five years, be very careful about getting advice from someone who is not a doctor, suggest doing your homework for you mom and educate yourself more about kidney cancer. Suggest having your mom make a list of all your questions ready before seeing her doctor, and demand answers. Suggest starting with http://info.com/---"Largest search engine on the web" which include many medical search engines, following is the results of a simple search for "kidney cancer recurrence".

http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneycancer/treatment.shtml Kidney Cancer Follow-up Care & Recurrent Kidney Cancer Patients who undergo kidney cancer surgery may experience a recurrence of the disease. For this reason, most patients undergo a regimen of follow-up examinations after surgery, typically at 3-month intervals for the first year. These examinations include a complete physical examination, chest x-ray, complete blood tests, and assessments of liver and kidney function.if the disease recurs and remains confined to a few small areas, additional surgery may be recommended. Radiation therapy, biological therapy (immunotherapy), or chemotherapy may be used in addition to surgery (called adjuvant treatment) or to relieve symptoms (called palliative treatment).

Kidney Cancer Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM .Recurrence About 20 to 30 percent of people treated for kidney cancer will have a recurrence of cancer, most often in the lungs and most often within three years of treatment. But a recurrence is also common in the previously unaffected kidney.
    What will be my Postoperative Prognosis?
    Renal cell cancer is the second most common tumor type to undergo spontaneous regression following removal of the primary lesion; this occurs in about 0.5% of cases. Once metastasis occurs, prognosis depends on the extent of the spread and the interval between kidney removal and the appearance of metastases. Overall, the 5-year survival rate for RCC—all stages combined—is about 40-45%.Patients who undergo kidney cancer surgery may experience a recurrence of the disease. For this reason, most patients undergo a regimen of follow-up examinations after surgery, typically at 3-month intervals for the first year. These examinations include a complete physical examination, chest x-ray, complete blood tests, and assessments of liver and kidney function.If the disease recurs and remains confined to a few small areas, additional surgery may be recommended. Radiation therapy, biological therapy (immunotherapy), or chemotherapy may be used in addition to surgery (called adjuvant treatment) or to relieve symptoms (called palliative treatment).
    I hope this information helps any Questions please contact me. GOD BLESS
  • love4life
    love4life Member Posts: 40
    blackbelt said:

kidney cancer recurrence info
    Tell your mom this is the process of living with kidney cancer, worrying its normal, have your mom demand a follow-up CT scan from her doctor ,suggest having a six-month follow-up to make sure the cyst hasn't grown, that way your mom's doctor can stay on top of her kidney cancer for the first five years, be very careful about getting advice from someone who is not a doctor, suggest doing your homework for you mom and educate yourself more about kidney cancer. Suggest having your mom make a list of all your questions ready before seeing her doctor, and demand answers. Suggest starting with http://info.com/---"Largest search engine on the web" which include many medical search engines, following is the results of a simple search for "kidney cancer recurrence".

http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneycancer/treatment.shtml Kidney Cancer Follow-up Care & Recurrent Kidney Cancer Patients who undergo kidney cancer surgery may experience a recurrence of the disease. For this reason, most patients undergo a regimen of follow-up examinations after surgery, typically at 3-month intervals for the first year. These examinations include a complete physical examination, chest x-ray, complete blood tests, and assessments of liver and kidney function.if the disease recurs and remains confined to a few small areas, additional surgery may be recommended. Radiation therapy, biological therapy (immunotherapy), or chemotherapy may be used in addition to surgery (called adjuvant treatment) or to relieve symptoms (called palliative treatment).

Kidney Cancer Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM .Recurrence About 20 to 30 percent of people treated for kidney cancer will have a recurrence of cancer, most often in the lungs and most often within three years of treatment. But a recurrence is also common in the previously unaffected kidney.
    What will be my Postoperative Prognosis?
    Renal cell cancer is the second most common tumor type to undergo spontaneous regression following removal of the primary lesion; this occurs in about 0.5% of cases. Once metastasis occurs, prognosis depends on the extent of the spread and the interval between kidney removal and the appearance of metastases. Overall, the 5-year survival rate for RCC—all stages combined—is about 40-45%.Patients who undergo kidney cancer surgery may experience a recurrence of the disease. For this reason, most patients undergo a regimen of follow-up examinations after surgery, typically at 3-month intervals for the first year. These examinations include a complete physical examination, chest x-ray, complete blood tests, and assessments of liver and kidney function.If the disease recurs and remains confined to a few small areas, additional surgery may be recommended. Radiation therapy, biological therapy (immunotherapy), or chemotherapy may be used in addition to surgery (called adjuvant treatment) or to relieve symptoms (called palliative treatment).
    I hope this information helps any Questions please contact me. GOD BLESS

Thank you
    Thank you to everyone for the kind words and information. She is meeting with another doctor because she also has a hernia that needs attention and hopefully she'll be getting more info about the cyst as well. She's treating at a great hospital and I hav complete faith everything will be given the attention it requires. Thanks again.