Multivitamins while on chemo

hopeful girl 1
hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
Friends,

I have a question. My oncologist said it would be ok to take a multivitamin during chemo-I have not been doing so. For a while I took Flinstones, but decided they might be bad for teeth since they are chewable.

Recently I found online One a Day Essentials-which just has your basic vitamins and no herbs added in-so I am thinking of buying those.

Has anyone else taken or currently taking a multivitamin while on chemo?

Thanks all!

Hugs!

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Vitamins
    I'm a big vitamin user (within reason) and asked my oncologist before start of treatments if I can take certain vitamins. He just told me to take minimal as many can interfere with chemo. Just followed what my friend suggested who's an RN in oncology and one of them was a SIMPLE MULTI-VITAMIN. The brand you suggested should be just fine, as long as not "super"
    dose vitamins which might be too much potency for you while in treatments.

Our bodies still need vitamins during treatments just need to watch any antioxidants (don't take at all). Antioxidants interfere with chemo big time.

Hope this helps and best to you!
    Jan
    ((( hugs )))
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    jazzy1 said:

Vitamins
    I'm a big vitamin user (within reason) and asked my oncologist before start of treatments if I can take certain vitamins. He just told me to take minimal as many can interfere with chemo. Just followed what my friend suggested who's an RN in oncology and one of them was a SIMPLE MULTI-VITAMIN. The brand you suggested should be just fine, as long as not "super"
    dose vitamins which might be too much potency for you while in treatments.

Our bodies still need vitamins during treatments just need to watch any antioxidants (don't take at all). Antioxidants interfere with chemo big time.

Hope this helps and best to you!
    Jan
    ((( hugs )))

yes, you need vitamins
    I'm in chemo again with you. I have been advised to take multivitamin and calcium and B complex for neuropathy. I was advised by staff nutritionist that it's OK for me to continue the spice tumeric but not the capsule I was taking in addition. She recommended I abstain from my other antioxidant supplements while in chemo - I will go back to these when done with treatment.

So definitely take your multivitamin, eat a balanced diet with plenty of protein, drink lots of fluids, take your senna or other laxative, exercise and get plenty of rest.

Many Blessings to you. Mary Ann
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608
    daisy366 said:

yes, you need vitamins
    I'm in chemo again with you. I have been advised to take multivitamin and calcium and B complex for neuropathy. I was advised by staff nutritionist that it's OK for me to continue the spice tumeric but not the capsule I was taking in addition. She recommended I abstain from my other antioxidant supplements while in chemo - I will go back to these when done with treatment.

So definitely take your multivitamin, eat a balanced diet with plenty of protein, drink lots of fluids, take your senna or other laxative, exercise and get plenty of rest.

Vitamins
    I have read so many confusing articles regarding vitamins on chemo. My Gyn Onc says multi vit and calcium/D is OK. I just feel that none of this has really been studied. So I don't take vitamins with chemo; I eat well. I know they can interfere with some chemo drugs so I just watch my diet. I think this is one of the things no one really knows yet.

Diane
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    daisy366 said:

yes, you need vitamins

When I was to take Doxil, I
    When I was to take Doxil, I found on WebMD that curcumin interfered with Doxil. Anyone on Doxil may want to check into this. -Annie
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234

Vitamins
    I have read so many confusing articles regarding vitamins on chemo. My Gyn Onc says multi vit and calcium/D is OK. I just feel that none of this has really been studied. So I don't take vitamins with chemo; I eat well. I know they can interfere with some chemo drugs so I just watch my diet. I think this is one of the things no one really knows yet.

Diane

I agree with you, Diane.
    I agree with you, Diane. I'll be starting chemo again next Friday, Gemzar, and have decided that I'm staying off of even a multivitamin. My medical onc, like yours, says it's OK but I'd rather not. During my first round on Taxol/Carbo, the nutritionist mapped out which days were OK to take a multivitamin. It wound up being only two days/week...which two days depended on when I was infused. I decided then not to deal with the vitamins either.

Peace and hope, JJ