claritin for preventing Neulasta side effects

bradygirl
bradygirl Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My onc nurse wants me to take claritin before and after My 1st neulasta injection.anybody try this?

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    assumption
    I'm curious as to why OncoNurse is assuming you will have a reaction to it. I received Neupogen (the stronger brother of Neulasta) several times, and while it did give me the muscle ache I would normally associate with the flu, I was never nauseous or otherwise debilitated by it.

Each of us reacts to these things in our way, and I would think that your medical team would want to see how you react to something before adding another layer of meds.

But, I am not a doctor or nurse, so you should pay attention to them :).

Good luck!

Take care,

Joe
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Hi
    I am usually on the EC site but I saw this. Yes my husband had his neulasta shot last Friday and he was told to take clariten before and after for up to 48 hours,. he did not have any pain but we don't know if it was from the clariten or not. So give it a try. It can't hurt. he was also told to take an ALEVE for the 1st 48 hrs too.
  • bradygirl
    bradygirl Member Posts: 31
    Well the claritin worked.no
    Well the claritin worked.no aches or pain.
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    bradygirl said:

Well the claritin worked.no
    Well the claritin worked.no aches or pain.

hi
    I am so glad the clariten worked. It did for my husband too.
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220

assumption
    I'm curious as to why OncoNurse is assuming you will have a reaction to it. I received Neupogen (the stronger brother of Neulasta) several times, and while it did give me the muscle ache I would normally associate with the flu, I was never nauseous or otherwise debilitated by it.

Each of us reacts to these things in our way, and I would think that your medical team would want to see how you react to something before adding another layer of meds.

But, I am not a doctor or nurse, so you should pay attention to them :).

Good luck!

Take care,

Joe

None
    I have to agree with Joe, I had Neaulasta shots after my third and fourth chemo sesions and took nothing for it and had no side effects at all, so was it the claritin are just lucky. I saw the bill for these shots $5,500 each.... Thank God for insurance. Best of helth to all.... Dan
  • blmh57
    blmh57 Member Posts: 2
    neulasta

5 days after neulasta and pain is still troublesome . took the claritin. will not get this shot again.  anyone else feel this way 

• blmh57
    blmh57 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2021 #8
    neulasta

5 days after neulasta and pain is still troublesome . took the claritin. will not get this shot again.  anyone else feel this way 

• pjsammon
    pjsammon Member Posts: 2
    Neupogen

Even with Claritin Neupogen caused immense pain in all my bones and joints. I had to stop after the second injection. In my case, the oncologist presribed a different filgrastim of the brand name Zoxiar. As I'd been taking Xertec for several years the Oncologist OK'd taking it instead af Claritin. Due to my weight of 275 I also asked about taking 3 Xertecs instead of 2 per dose. I used the Zoxiar & Xertec combination for the remainder of my Chemo with greatly reduced side effects.