PREOP

Teemac
Teemac Member Posts: 26
HEY EVERYBODY! GOT MY SURGERY DATE. I WILL BE HAVING SURGERY NOVEMBER 11TH. THE DR GAVE ME A WHOLE LIST OF THINGS I HAVE TO HAVE DONE PRIOR TO GO INTO SURGERY. WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF THIS IS OUT OF THE NORM OR NOT IT SEEMS LIKE A LOT. HERE IS A LIST OF WHAT I HAVE TO HAVE DONE BEFORE SURGERY

EKG
CHEST X-RAY
PHYSICAL FROM FAMILY DR
ABDOMINAL CT SCAN
PELVIC CT SCAN
CHEST WITH CONTRAST CT SCAN
ANTIBODY SCREENING
TYPE & SCREEN
PTT
PT
CMP
CBC W/DIFF

I DID LOOK UP WHAT A CMP AND CBC WHERE AND THEY SEEM TO BE A LONG LIST OF OTHER BLOOD TEST THAT ARE PERFORMED IN THAT GROUP. I HAD THESE ALL DONE AT A HOSPITAL OUTPATIENT SURGERY CENTER. SHOULD I CALL THEM AND ASK FOR COPYS OF THE RESULTS OR WAIT AND GET THEM FROM MY DR?

THE DR HAS THE PROCEDURE LISTED AS EXPLORATORY LAPAROTOMY, TOTAL ABDOMINAL HYSTERECTOMY, BILATERAL SALPINGO-OOPHORECTOMY AND POSSIBLE STAGING.

DOES THAT JUST MEAN BASICALLY THAT HE IS TAKING THE UTURUS, OVARIES, TUBES AND CERVIX?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

TEE

Comments

• kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    Your list
    Tee,

This list is very comprehensive and sounds pretty normal. Yes, the CMP is a medical panel that includes electrolytes, kidney function, cholesterol etc... Be careful about getting the lab work done too early. Most hospitals have rules about how old the CBC can be...am thinking it has to be done within 7 days of the surgery, but check with them. Then they can draw the CMP and the rest of the blood work all at the same time. PT and PTT have to do with bleeding tendencies. CBC is a complete blood count and measures hemoglobin, red cells, white cells, platelets, etc.

When you schedule the scans they will tell you what the preparation was...mine was just nothing to eat for a certain number of hours before the scan. And you will probably be given some contrast medium to drink before the scan. Mine wasn't too bad tasting...I am thinking I had to drink 3 large glasses about 15 minutes apart.

Yes...he is taking exactly what you said and may take lymph nodes, etc.

OK...you have lots to do between now and then but it will keep your mind busy and you know that with each of these tests crossed off the list, you are that much closer to getting your surgery over with. Hang in there!!

Karen
  • Teemac
    kkstef said:

Your list
    Tee,

This list is very comprehensive and sounds pretty normal. Yes, the CMP is a medical panel that includes electrolytes, kidney function, cholesterol etc... Be careful about getting the lab work done too early. Most hospitals have rules about how old the CBC can be...am thinking it has to be done within 7 days of the surgery, but check with them. Then they can draw the CMP and the rest of the blood work all at the same time. PT and PTT have to do with bleeding tendencies. CBC is a complete blood count and measures hemoglobin, red cells, white cells, platelets, etc.

When you schedule the scans they will tell you what the preparation was...mine was just nothing to eat for a certain number of hours before the scan. And you will probably be given some contrast medium to drink before the scan. Mine wasn't too bad tasting...I am thinking I had to drink 3 large glasses about 15 minutes apart.

Yes...he is taking exactly what you said and may take lymph nodes, etc.

OK...you have lots to do between now and then but it will keep your mind busy and you know that with each of these tests crossed off the list, you are that much closer to getting your surgery over with. Hang in there!!

Karen

THANKS
    THANKS KAREN! THE DR SAID I COULD HAVE ALL THE TEST DONE ANY WHERE BETWEEN NOW AND THE SURGERY. AT LEAST IT GIVES ME A MONTH TO GET IT DONE. THEY DID GIVE ME SOME STUFF TO DRINK BEFORE THE CT SCAN. I HAVE TO DRINK ONE BOTTEL 8 HOURS BEFORE THE SCAN AND THE OTHER ONE ONE HOUR BEFORE. NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR AT LEAST 4 HOURS. I HOPE IT TASTE OKAY I HAVE A VERY WEAK GAG REFLEK SO A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT THAT.

ANY TIPS FOR GETTING THE GO-LYTELY DOWN THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY I HEAR IT IS REALLY NASTY?
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Teemac said:

THANKS
    THANKS KAREN! THE DR SAID I COULD HAVE ALL THE TEST DONE ANY WHERE BETWEEN NOW AND THE SURGERY. AT LEAST IT GIVES ME A MONTH TO GET IT DONE. THEY DID GIVE ME SOME STUFF TO DRINK BEFORE THE CT SCAN. I HAVE TO DRINK ONE BOTTEL 8 HOURS BEFORE THE SCAN AND THE OTHER ONE ONE HOUR BEFORE. NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR AT LEAST 4 HOURS. I HOPE IT TASTE OKAY I HAVE A VERY WEAK GAG REFLEK SO A LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT THAT.

ANY TIPS FOR GETTING THE GO-LYTELY DOWN THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY I HEAR IT IS REALLY NASTY?

Teemac:
    The list seems very

Teemac:

The list seems very normal. However, when I had my hysterectomy, I did not have the CT Scan (abdominal/pelvic/chest). I had a total hysterectomy, they removed everything. However, I wish they did the CT Scan first, because after my hysterectomy, is when they found the cancer so a month after my hysterectomy, they had to go back in and do a staging surgery wherein the removed my appendix and some flappy thing which I forgot what it was called.

With the go-lytely, if you get at least half of it down, you will be fine. Its not as bad as it used to be, In February, I had surgery again and I had to take this stuff which was carbonated and clear. I liked it better than the go lytely and it worked just as well. You should only have a three day hospital stay. Also, after surgery, try to get off the pain medication as soon as you can so that your bowel function can get back in order and that also means to try to walk whenever you can because that can cause a longer hospital stay.

And once you are home, you must give yourself at least six weeks to recover. Don't try to lift things. You will fell better and will want to do things. Just don't lift heavy objects or you may end up with a hernia (like I did).

The only thing I didn't see on your list was a colonoscopy. Which they still may give an order for somewhere down the line.

The CT drink that I had was ok. If it is cold, it is better.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I also pray that you won't be nervous.

Kathy
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Just to add a few
    Just to add a few comments... The scans may give surgeon a heads-up of what to expect when he goes in. The 'staging' part refers to anything else that might be found to have cancer/tumors that would be removed, possibly outside the basic organs listed as well as any lymph nodes that look suspicious. In situations like this, that terminology is quite normal - they can't wake you up during surgery and ask if it's okay. It covers any possible contingencies.
    Also, last time I did the 'go litely', nurse recommended I start eating lightly for one - two days before I began the prep with it and it made it a much easier process than I had experienced before for a colonoscopy.
    Hopefully all will be smooth sailing for you! --Annie
  • Kaleena

Just to add a few
    Just to add a few comments... The scans may give surgeon a heads-up of what to expect when he goes in. The 'staging' part refers to anything else that might be found to have cancer/tumors that would be removed, possibly outside the basic organs listed as well as any lymph nodes that look suspicious. In situations like this, that terminology is quite normal - they can't wake you up during surgery and ask if it's okay. It covers any possible contingencies.
    Also, last time I did the 'go litely', nurse recommended I start eating lightly for one - two days before I began the prep with it and it made it a much easier process than I had experienced before for a colonoscopy.
    Hopefully all will be smooth sailing for you! --Annie

You are right, Anne. I do
    You are right, Anne. I do now remember that I was on a liquid clear fluid diet a day before. Broth, clear jello, stuff like that.
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Kaleena said:

You are right, Anne. I do
    You are right, Anne. I do now remember that I was on a liquid clear fluid diet a day before. Broth, clear jello, stuff like that.

Nu-Litely
    I was on clear fluids the day the colon cleansing needed to be done. Thankfully, instead of Go-lightly, I was prescribed Nu-lightly which is only 1/2 gallon, instead of a gallon.
  • kkstef
    Teemac said:

THANKS

TEE
    Do double check with your hospital about how new the lab work has to be. Anesthesia generally has a time limit on how old the lab work can be so rather than have to get it twice, I recommend you check.

I just drank the stuff very fast.....I can't remember that there was much of a taste. And the suggestion to eat lightly the day or two before is a good one....it does make the process easier. Also, a friend told me that you can start drinking the stuff a bit earlier than the instructions say so you get cleaned out and can get some sleep. Good luck!!

Holding in you in my thoughts!

Karen
  • Teemac
    CT-SCAN
    BEEN UP SINCE 4 AM. BY CT-SCAN IS TODAY. I STARTED DRINKING THE STUFF I HAVE TO DRINK BEFORE THE CT SCAN. IT IS MAKING ME VERY SICK. I HAVE BEEN VOMITING FOR ALMOST 4 HOURS NOW. I CALLED THEM AND THEY WANT ME TO DRINK MORE OF THIS STUFF.
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Teemac said:

CT-SCAN
    BEEN UP SINCE 4 AM. BY CT-SCAN IS TODAY. I STARTED DRINKING THE STUFF I HAVE TO DRINK BEFORE THE CT SCAN. IT IS MAKING ME VERY SICK. I HAVE BEEN VOMITING FOR ALMOST 4 HOURS NOW. I CALLED THEM AND THEY WANT ME TO DRINK MORE OF THIS STUFF.

I had trouble with the barium prep for the CAT scan
    Twice when I had CAT scans, they gave me stuff to drink at home, so I did not have to be at the hospital so early. Both times it made me so nauseous. I even chilled it and it did not help. I tried different flavors, but I think it is the consistancy that is so bad. I have opted to go to the hospital and drink their drinks there. The drinks at the radiology department are more like drinking crystal light. It means being at the hospital longer, but well worth not having the nausea.

Hope you made it through the scan okay. In peace and caring.
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Teemac said:

CT-SCAN

Teemac-It will all be over soon
    You remind me of everything I went through. You will soon be looking back and thinking how well you have done. Keep positive, I feel everything you are going through and I know just how you feel. You will get through this just as we all on board did. Love and best wishes. The waiting period is the worse. Take care until we hear from you. June,
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Teemac said:

CT-SCAN

{{Tee}}}
    I hated the golyetly stuff to drink. Have done it several times now for different procedures. It gets easier. Just keep chug-a-lugging it. I remember saying as I drank it: "Aright you dirty rats (the cancer cells) take that...we are coming in to get you." **Jimmy Cagney impression ( I hope someone remembers Jimmy Cagney out there.

Anyway, sweetie, just take one step at a time. All of this is so you can get better and get on with your life.
  • kkstef
    norma2 said:

{{Tee}}}
    I hated the golyetly stuff to drink. Have done it several times now for different procedures. It gets easier. Just keep chug-a-lugging it. I remember saying as I drank it: "Aright you dirty rats (the cancer cells) take that...we are coming in to get you." **Jimmy Cagney impression ( I hope someone remembers Jimmy Cagney out there.

Anyway, sweetie, just take one step at a time. All of this is so you can get better and get on with your life.

Norma
    Norma, I am chuckling at trying to picture you doing the Jimmy Cagney impression while chug-a-lugging Golytely! Very funny!

You do wonder why they can't improve the flavor of some of that stuff they have you drink!

Karen
  • Teemac
    Ro10 said:

I had trouble with the barium prep for the CAT scan
    Twice when I had CAT scans, they gave me stuff to drink at home, so I did not have to be at the hospital so early. Both times it made me so nauseous. I even chilled it and it did not help. I tried different flavors, but I think it is the consistancy that is so bad. I have opted to go to the hospital and drink their drinks there. The drinks at the radiology department are more like drinking crystal light. It means being at the hospital longer, but well worth not having the nausea.

Hope you made it through the scan okay. In peace and caring.

IV
    WHEN I GOT TO THE HOSPITAL AND TOLD THEM WHAT WAS GOING ON THE TECH SAID I HAD TO DRINK MORE OF THE STUFF. SHE GIVES ME A WHOLE BIG GLASS OF IT. I DRUNK IT DONE NO PROBLEM. WITHIN TEN MINUITES I WAS THROWING UP. SHE THEN PUT ME ON THE TABLE AND PUT AN IV IN. THE TECH THEN SENT SOME DIE INTO MY BODY. SHE HAD TO STOP THE TEST HALF WAY THRU BECUASE I WAS THROWING UP OVER THE SIDE OF THE BED. I THEN HAD TO BE SENT DOWN TO ER WHERE THEY HAD TO PUT AND IV IN FOR FLUIDS. NEEDLESS TO SAY AFTER ALL OF THAT SHE WAS ABLE TO GET THE SCANS SHE NEEDED TO AND I WOUND UP BEING THERE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND THEN I HAD TO HAVE SOMEONE COME GET ME CAUSE THEY WOULD NOT LET ME DRIVE HOME. IT WAS A LONG AND HORIABLE DAY. STILL BATTLING UPSET STOMACH TODAY.
  • Kaleena
    norma2 said:

{{Tee}}}

Norma,
    One of my favorite

Norma,

One of my favorite actors! I can see you doing his impression! I will have to think of that the next time!