Is Mary Ann okay?

nempark
nempark Member Posts: 681
I know you are considering new treatment, but haven't seen you on board for awhile. Love June

Comments

• kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    On my mind too!
    Mary Ann, I have been thinking about you today too....wondering how you are doing and how your treatments are going.

Big Hugs to you!! Karen
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    kkstef said:

On my mind too!
    Mary Ann, I have been thinking about you today too....wondering how you are doing and how your treatments are going.

Big Hugs to you!! Karen

I AM OK...thanks for your caring and concern
    Hi everyone,

I just finished 2nd week of treatment - carboplatin weekly and daily "tomo" radiation - for recurrence of UPSC in my supraclavicular lymph nodes. I have 5 more to go.

The regime is tiring me out - plus working is not helping the situation. So this is my final week of work before taking FMLA to complete treatment and recoup. I need to increase my exercise and meditation big-time!!

Living in Florida is heaven this time of year. Yesterday I planted flowers and I will prepare a small vegetable garden. I have a great team of docs and am optimistic about dancing with NED again.

Thank you all. Wishing many blessings for all. Mary Ann
  • kkstef
    daisy366 said:

Hi everyone,

I just finished 2nd week of treatment - carboplatin weekly and daily "tomo" radiation - for recurrence of UPSC in my supraclavicular lymph nodes. I have 5 more to go.

The regime is tiring me out - plus working is not helping the situation. So this is my final week of work before taking FMLA to complete treatment and recoup. I need to increase my exercise and meditation big-time!!

Living in Florida is heaven this time of year. Yesterday I planted flowers and I will prepare a small vegetable garden. I have a great team of docs and am optimistic about dancing with NED again.

So glad to hear from you, Mary Ann
    Mary Ann, I am so happy to hear that your treatments are going well and really happy to hear that you are taking an FMLA so that you can focus on your treatments and healing your body and mind! The chemo and radiation combo takes it's toll and you need all of your energy to be focused on YOU!!

Am so glad to hear that you have such a wonderful team of docs and I know you will be dancing with NED soon! Have you picked the song yet?

Sending you more positive energy and BIG HUGS!!

Karen
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    daisy366 said:

Hi everyone,

Mary Ann, so glad you are doing okay
    I too have been wondering how you are handling the chemo radiation combo. Glad you got through the second week of treatment. Hope the third week goes well, and the carbo and radiation are doing their jobs of shrinking those nodes.

Before long we will be in Florida to enjoy "the heaven" this time of year. It has been very nice here in Illinois with the fall colors beginning. We have a sugar maple in the front yard, and it is turning a very pretty orange. We have had 80 degrees these past few days, with low humidity, so it has been really nice.

I am trying to get my gardens ready for winter, but it seems too nice to be cutting some things back. It seems strange for someone to be planting a vegetable garden this time of year. Hope you get a lot of good veggies from it.

So happy to hear you are taking a FMLA and focusing on yourself. In peace and caring.
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    daisy366 said:

Hi everyone,

mary ann good to hear from you!

of course we're going to start getting concerned when we don't hear from one of us for awhile. glad you've finished week two of your treatment; sounds rigorous, i have to say. but i recall you saying your doctors have had success with this treatment. so, no doubt you'll be dancing with your favorite partner ned again soon. so happy you are going to take that family medical leave, enough work already. don't over do the exercise; wonder if one can overdo meditation?

just good to hear from you mary ann, and to hear how well you're doing. keep us posted as you can.

hugs and sisterhood,
    maggie
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    daisy366 said:

Hi everyone,

{{{Mary Ann}}}
    Thinking of you and am so glad you updated us. Wishing you well with treatment and your garden.
  • daisy366
    norma2 said:

{{{Mary Ann}}}
    Thinking of you and am so glad you updated us. Wishing you well with treatment and your garden.

week 3 rough!! side effects starting
    Thanks again for your caring and concern. Last week was challenging for me.

I started to get radiation side effects to my throat - like a painful lump that hurts to swallow. So eating and sometimes talking are getting harder - my voice is raspy. I was advised to give up singing and even limit talking. I started to panic about the thought of my throat swelling enough to close (they said this will NOT happen). I have meds (rons rum) to numb the throat in order to eat (only lasts a few minutes and tastes nasty), lozenges, rinse, and OTC pain meds. Doc said it WILL get worse and then I will need Rx pain meds - so they are saving this for later. I can only eat small portions of liquid or soft food. I was given xanax to help me sleep which I intend to start taking tonight!!! Today was my 20th of 35 treatments - AARGH!!!

AND.... I started getting "sensitivity" (allergic reaction) to carboplatin. The benadryl they gave IV also had bad effect. So I had to sleep it all off and cancel everything else except radiation that day. I have decadron to start taking 12 hours prior to next chemo to avoid this repeating. I have 3-4 more treatments.

On Sat I went to yoga and meditation group and had a healing touch session which soothed the throat for the weekend. I have a more positive (not panicky) attitude that will help me get through this one week at a time.

Today was day 1 of full time FMLA. Heaven!!! I'll keep you posted.

Mary Ann
  • kkstef
    daisy366 said:

I started to get radiation side effects to my throat - like a painful lump that hurts to swallow. So eating and sometimes talking are getting harder - my voice is raspy. I was advised to give up singing and even limit talking. I started to panic about the thought of my throat swelling enough to close (they said this will NOT happen). I have meds (rons rum) to numb the throat in order to eat (only lasts a few minutes and tastes nasty), lozenges, rinse, and OTC pain meds. Doc said it WILL get worse and then I will need Rx pain meds - so they are saving this for later. I can only eat small portions of liquid or soft food. I was given xanax to help me sleep which I intend to start taking tonight!!! Today was my 20th of 35 treatments - AARGH!!!

AND.... I started getting "sensitivity" (allergic reaction) to carboplatin. The benadryl they gave IV also had bad effect. So I had to sleep it all off and cancel everything else except radiation that day. I have decadron to start taking 12 hours prior to next chemo to avoid this repeating. I have 3-4 more treatments.

On Sat I went to yoga and meditation group and had a healing touch session which soothed the throat for the weekend. I have a more positive (not panicky) attitude that will help me get through this one week at a time.

Mary Ann

You are an amazing warrior, Mary Ann
    Mary Ann, I am so sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. It sounds like a rough road but I am confident you will WIN!! Am relieved that at least you are now on FMLA so youo can focus on YOU! You are an amazing lady and are approaching this bump in the road with such grace!

Am so happy that you took time out to do some yoga, meditation and healing touch...think that was probably better than any medicine and very healing.

Kee us posted....Bless you!

Karen
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    daisy366 said:

Mary Ann

mary ann-- good to hear from you!
    and sorry, sorry it's been such a tough row to hoe. it sounds like if it's not one thing, it's another, all painful. i'm glad they can offer you some relief, and this ordeal really will be over, but it sounds like one foot in front of the other for now. thank goodness for fmla! and meditation, yoga and healing touch--all so good for you. just know we're all thinking of you, and are with you in spirit. hang in there, mary ann.

hugs and sisterhood,
    maggie
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    daisy366 said:

Mary Ann

Mary Ann
    It was so nice to

Mary Ann

It was so nice to hear from you. I know I haven't posted but I have been thinking about you. I am sorry to hear about your sensitivity, but I am glad you are getting a more positive attitude.

My thoughts and wishes go out to you for a speedy recovery and positive thoughts throughout your treatment process!

Kathy
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    daisy366 said:

Mary Ann

So sorry to hear about your side effects
    Hope you are feeling a little better. Sorry to hear that the throat pain will get worse. If you need the Rx pain medicines, please ask for them and take them. Sorry to hear about the reaction to the Carbo, too. Hope the decadron works for you. I took 20 mg of decadron the night before, and the morning of chemo and it helped decrease my reactions.
    glad you have the yoga, meditation and healing touch session to make you feel better. Enjoy you FMLA. It is well deserved. You remain in my pryaers. In peace and caring.
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    daisy366 said:

Mary Ann

Tough Time
    Dear Mary Ann,

I am sorry to read you are going through such a rough time. How great that yoga, meditation and the healing touch helped you get through the weekend. I do hope that all improves very soon. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Peace and hope,

JJ
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454

Tough Time
    Dear Mary Ann,

I am sorry to read you are going through such a rough time. How great that yoga, meditation and the healing touch helped you get through the weekend. I do hope that all improves very soon. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Peace and hope,

JJ

Mary Ann
    I am thinking of you and sending hugs your way.
    You can do this.

Strength and healing,

Cindy
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    daisy366 said:

Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann
    I'm sorry to

Hi Mary Ann
    I'm sorry to hear that this course of therapy is taking such a toll :-( I do remember my radiation treatments for breast cancer some years, not so much fun. It is soooo good that you are able to take FMLA.
    Some years ago I took a climbing class, planned for but then turned out to be very bad timing but continued anyway. Last class was a full-on mtn climb, hiking into a base camp and then doing climb next day. I was in no condition to be there. As the hike in went on and on and on, the leader/instructor to keep us moving on, would just brightly call out "just one more ridge to go!" As reality had it, there were many more ridges to get over and several more miles with heavy packs on our back, but with each 'just one more ridge' our spirits lifted and onward we were able to trudge. So every day Mary Ann, just think 'one more ridge'! I do this to this day whenever the going gets rough.
    You are in my thoughts, hang in there, you are a strong warrior! Just one more ridge! Annie
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608

Hi Mary Ann
    I'm sorry to

Hi Mary Ann
    I'm sorry to hear that this course of therapy is taking such a toll :-( I do remember my radiation treatments for breast cancer some years, not so much fun. It is soooo good that you are able to take FMLA.
    Some years ago I took a climbing class, planned for but then turned out to be very bad timing but continued anyway. Last class was a full-on mtn climb, hiking into a base camp and then doing climb next day. I was in no condition to be there. As the hike in went on and on and on, the leader/instructor to keep us moving on, would just brightly call out "just one more ridge to go!" As reality had it, there were many more ridges to get over and several more miles with heavy packs on our back, but with each 'just one more ridge' our spirits lifted and onward we were able to trudge. So every day Mary Ann, just think 'one more ridge'! I do this to this day whenever the going gets rough.
    You are in my thoughts, hang in there, you are a strong warrior! Just one more ridge! Annie

Hang Tough Mary Ann
    Mary Ann,

I am so proud of you going to Yoga with a bad throat. I remember my tube in my throat and how much I hated it during surgery. I 'm with Ro, if you need pain meds take them! I am seeing a pain Doctor now and learning so much from her. She says you can't fight cancer if you are fighting pain. Pain meds work best if taken consistently for chronic pain. Your pain will most likely be chronic for a while before it gets better.

I am glad you are on FMLA. If you need to put your feet up you can.

Love you,
    Diane
  • daisy366

Hang Tough Mary Ann
    Mary Ann,

I am so proud of you going to Yoga with a bad throat. I remember my tube in my throat and how much I hated it during surgery. I 'm with Ro, if you need pain meds take them! I am seeing a pain Doctor now and learning so much from her. She says you can't fight cancer if you are fighting pain. Pain meds work best if taken consistently for chronic pain. Your pain will most likely be chronic for a while before it gets better.

I am glad you are on FMLA. If you need to put your feet up you can.

Love you,
    Diane

UPDATE
    Well, this cancer journey certainly can be fascinating. Since last week, things are so much better. I guess this could be considered a research project since the one constant was my treatments - weekly carboplatin and daily radiation to supraclavicular lymph nodes.

10 days ago I was miserable, scared, anxious, in pain, chakras from the heart up were closed. The radiation was burning my throat and I worried about suffocating, not being able to eat, etc. Today I am pain-free, more confident and calm. Yet the daily radiation continued. I even questioned the techs if they lowered the dose - no was the response.

As the week progressed my throat felt better. Today, Monday, I can swallow without problem. What changed?? In reflection, many things:
    1) I have eliminated many stressors - work being the biggest.
    2) I took the words of my doc to heart "You are having these negative symptoms too early!!" and got off my pity pot and went to healing session, yoga and healing touch. I heard words that helped me be more positive and not give in to FEAR. Francesca talked about the connection between the sacral chakra (the source of "Chester", the name I gave the papillary serous uterine cancer) and the throat chakra (the area of recurrence and the area of my current pain AND one of my personal challenges, SPEAKING UP FOR MYSELF and BEING HEARD!!). How profound to hear of the connection. She said that if we give in to defeat than we have lost (I know this but didn't practice it) and to profess intention to succeed with confidence. I participated in partnering exercises and started feeling better - like a wilted flower drinking in water. My healing touch session immediately followed and Barbara opened up my chakras. Again, feeling better in my throat. I believe I shifted from FEAR to FAITH and TRUST.
    3) I was a better steward to my throat. Instead of denying I had a problem (eating whatever I wanted), I started babying my throat - gargling regularly with salt and baking soda mixture, eating soft foods in small portions, drinking from straw, cooling down my throat after treatments with ice-cold smoothie (yum).
    4) the xanax? Didn't help - maybe too weak a dose (.25). So I can't credit this!
    5) chia seeds. Francesca fed me these and said "this will draw the cancer right out of you!". I bought some. They are a strong anti-oxidant, higher than blueberries. I need to discuss this with my doc today if I should take now. But after treatment, for sure these will be my friend. Who can argue with those words, "this will take the cancer right out of you!"
    6) My nurse told me to take it a week at a time. So I set my sights small. I am at the halfway point of treatment now and I just need to get through Friday.
    7) visualization. In the radiation machine, I envision being comforted by Mary and protected by God. Mary is cradling me and has her hand over my throat. We are both in the hands of God who only lets in the radiation directed at the weakened cancer cells. The rays hit the mark and Chester dies. I repeat this before sleep and in morning.

It is only my thoughts and actions that have changed! So, my friends. Take flight - like Claudia's goose, Gwendolynne - with confidence and faith. I am flying through this journey one day at a time.

Love and blessings to you all. Mary Ann
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    daisy366 said:

UPDATE
    Well, this cancer journey certainly can be fascinating. Since last week, things are so much better. I guess this could be considered a research project since the one constant was my treatments - weekly carboplatin and daily radiation to supraclavicular lymph nodes.

10 days ago I was miserable, scared, anxious, in pain, chakras from the heart up were closed. The radiation was burning my throat and I worried about suffocating, not being able to eat, etc. Today I am pain-free, more confident and calm. Yet the daily radiation continued. I even questioned the techs if they lowered the dose - no was the response.

As the week progressed my throat felt better. Today, Monday, I can swallow without problem. What changed?? In reflection, many things:
    2) I took the words of my doc to heart "You are having these negative symptoms too early!!" and got off my pity pot and went to healing session, yoga and healing touch. I heard words that helped me be more positive and not give in to FEAR. Francesca talked about the connection between the sacral chakra (the source of "Chester", the name I gave the papillary serous uterine cancer) and the throat chakra (the area of recurrence and the area of my current pain AND one of my personal challenges, SPEAKING UP FOR MYSELF and BEING HEARD!!). How profound to hear of the connection. She said that if we give in to defeat than we have lost (I know this but didn't practice it) and to profess intention to succeed with confidence. I participated in partnering exercises and started feeling better - like a wilted flower drinking in water. My healing touch session immediately followed and Barbara opened up my chakras. Again, feeling better in my throat. I believe I shifted from FEAR to FAITH and TRUST.
    3) I was a better steward to my throat. Instead of denying I had a problem (eating whatever I wanted), I started babying my throat - gargling regularly with salt and baking soda mixture, eating soft foods in small portions, drinking from straw, cooling down my throat after treatments with ice-cold smoothie (yum).
    4) the xanax? Didn't help - maybe too weak a dose (.25). So I can't credit this!
    5) chia seeds. Francesca fed me these and said "this will draw the cancer right out of you!". I bought some. They are a strong anti-oxidant, higher than blueberries. I need to discuss this with my doc today if I should take now. But after treatment, for sure these will be my friend. Who can argue with those words, "this will take the cancer right out of you!"
    6) My nurse told me to take it a week at a time. So I set my sights small. I am at the halfway point of treatment now and I just need to get through Friday.
    7) visualization. In the radiation machine, I envision being comforted by Mary and protected by God. Mary is cradling me and has her hand over my throat. We are both in the hands of God who only lets in the radiation directed at the weakened cancer cells. The rays hit the mark and Chester dies. I repeat this before sleep and in morning.

It is only my thoughts and actions that have changed! So, my friends. Take flight - like Claudia's goose, Gwendolynne - with confidence and faith. I am flying through this journey one day at a time.

So great to read through
    So great to read through your post Mary Ann! Allowing your mind to to open up to the positive energy and allow that to take charge of your body. An inspiring experience that you have shared to guide the rest of us. My positive thoughts are with you as well as you continue on your journey. --Annie
  • Cecile Louise
    Cecile Louise Member Posts: 133

So great to read through
    So great to read through your post Mary Ann! Allowing your mind to to open up to the positive energy and allow that to take charge of your body. An inspiring experience that you have shared to guide the rest of us. My positive thoughts are with you as well as you continue on your journey. --Annie

Mary Ann
    Thank you so much for the update, Mary Ann. You’ve been in my thoughts and I'm so glad to year you're moving a bit more easily through this part of your journey. I love that you are being so kind to yourself - I love your ice-cold smoothies for your throat, your lovely imagery in the radiation machine, your participation in healing sessions, yoga and healing touch. Thank you for sharing – you’ve reminded me to be nicer to myself. May you continue feeling better, confident, calm and pain-free - and know that we are all sending you big, warm, positive thoughts to wrap around you.

Love,
    Cecile
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

Mary Ann
    Thank you so much for the update, Mary Ann. You’ve been in my thoughts and I'm so glad to year you're moving a bit more easily through this part of your journey. I love that you are being so kind to yourself - I love your ice-cold smoothies for your throat, your lovely imagery in the radiation machine, your participation in healing sessions, yoga and healing touch. Thank you for sharing – you’ve reminded me to be nicer to myself. May you continue feeling better, confident, calm and pain-free - and know that we are all sending you big, warm, positive thoughts to wrap around you.

Love,
    Cecile

Mary Ann
    I'm so elated to hear you're doing better. Interesting how just changing our thoughts can affect us physically....I so believe this is true. You've been in my thoughts as well, remembering how you are a trooper changing your eating habits and becoming one big health nut.

Stress? I do know getting away from a stressful job will help. So much research on this too. Dr. Servan-Schreiber (The Anti Cancer book) research shows it's not just the stress, but more about our response to stress. As we try to regain control from stress (via yoga, etc) our body doesn't fight as much. The key he found is our powerlessness with no support during stressful times that doesn't help. Bottom line, during times of stress, find a "good" way to handle it -- yoga, meditation and support from others to hold our hands.

You're in my prayers and thoughts...keep doing what you're doing as you'll come thru this like a rose!!

Jan
    :-)
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    daisy366 said:

UPDATE

Mary Ann:
    It is so nice to

Mary Ann:

It is so nice to hear all of your positive thoughts and actions. I am so happy to hear you are feeling better.

Thank you for posting.

Hugs and Happiness to you!

Kathy