sacral insufficiency fractures

Just wondering if anyone has had sacral insufficiency fractures after having radiation treatments ffor cervical cancer. Would like to hear from you on your progress and what to expect.
thanks,
ginger

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    No fractures for me as of
    No fractures for me as of yet, but scans show decreased activity in the lumbar/sacral area...not making bone marrow like it once did. Two years out of tx and my RBC & WBC are still not within normal range.
    What's going on with you?
  • kellyw314
    kellyw314 Member Posts: 51
    I sustained a sacral
    I sustained a sacral fracture on my right side about 8 months post radiation for uterine cancer - initially diagnosed as a sciatic nerve and given pain med by orthopedic - saw gyn-oncologist about 1 month later - still in pain and convinced I had recurrent cancer - following his exam, he said he did not believe I had cancer but would "be remiss" without further testing - CAT suggested fracture and confirmed by MRI - only solution was to rest and take pain meds for about another month - pain gone in 8 weeks however bothered by pain if walking a mile or shopping, standing or housework for time -- recently have been going to physical therapy prescribed by PCP to increase endurance for walking - seeing success - I can now walk 3/4 mile with no pain -- when I experienced pain earlier it would quickly resolve by sitting for a brief time

How were you diagnosed? Treatment plan?
  • ginrem
    ginrem Member Posts: 7
    beckyracn said:

No fractures for me as of
    No fractures for me as of yet, but scans show decreased activity in the lumbar/sacral area...not making bone marrow like it once did. Two years out of tx and my RBC & WBC are still not within normal range.
    What's going on with you?

update
    Becky
    thanks for your time. I have been following your updates as our stories are very similar.
    you have been an inspiration to me. In August (4 months post tx) I started having left side lower back pain and was afraid of met.,flat film xray didn't show anything so onc/ radiologist ordered MRI which showed insufficiency fractures of sacrum. Motrim and rest seemed to help with pain and then middle of Sept. pain started on right side lower back and hip. progress seems slow. My bld work and PET are good. PET showed 2 questionable lymph nodes but we are watching them at this time. Gyn/onc feel they are residule from tx.
    take care and keep in touch.
    God bless
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    kellyw314 said:

I sustained a sacral
    I sustained a sacral fracture on my right side about 8 months post radiation for uterine cancer - initially diagnosed as a sciatic nerve and given pain med by orthopedic - saw gyn-oncologist about 1 month later - still in pain and convinced I had recurrent cancer - following his exam, he said he did not believe I had cancer but would "be remiss" without further testing - CAT suggested fracture and confirmed by MRI - only solution was to rest and take pain meds for about another month - pain gone in 8 weeks however bothered by pain if walking a mile or shopping, standing or housework for time -- recently have been going to physical therapy prescribed by PCP to increase endurance for walking - seeing success - I can now walk 3/4 mile with no pain -- when I experienced pain earlier it would quickly resolve by sitting for a brief time

How were you diagnosed? Treatment plan?

Sorry that we're meeting
    Sorry that we're meeting this way ladies...our new normal kinda bites, but WE ARE SURVIVORS!! Each day holds new suprises...not always pleasant. Thinking back, several months out of tx I started having real difficulties with my hips. X-rays show osteoarthritis...result of radiation?? Doc's couldn't give a definitive answer. I started taking Glucosamine and Chondrodin and that's made a world of difference. If I miss it for two days, wow, the pain hits. I routinely have lower back pain, but my radiology oncologist has not followed up with scans. I regularly go to a chiropractor, which has helped a bit.
    I'm still waiting to see which way my dysplasia is going to go. Doc's are still keeping the appts. at every 6 months. I've gained quite a bit of weight the last several months, major abdominal bloating, which is what happened just prior to my diagnosis. A bit scary, but ??? I see my regular oncologist next week and I'll talk with him about it.
    This summer has been one recurrent infection after another. I'm experiencing my 3rd bout of cellulitis in my foot/leg and I've also had two infections that started in my hand and spread quickly. I go to bed with minor discomfort in a limb and wake up with full blown infections. So much for the immune system working properly.
    Hang in there ladies! I hope your difficulties resolve, sooner that later. I wish you the best that life can offer! ((HUGS))
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Insufficiency Fracture
    I have NHL and had rads to my left hip. I did have an insufficiency fracture. Took Aleve 2 tabs twice a day, pain pills as needed, heating pad helped. My onc gave me Reclast for the osteoporsis and that helped.

It took a good 4 months to heal, but I feel much better now.

Hope your healing goes faster than mine did. It was miserable.

Beth
  • Rubylindy
    Rubylindy Member Posts: 1
    Sacral insufficiency and BRCA 1 positive
    I have been diagnosed with a sacral insufficiency and have been taking EVISTA since I had both of my ovaries removed due to BRCA I pos diagnosis. Any experience with STRONGER bone growing medications that also do not increase incidence of cancer in estrogen sensitive women like me??
  • SignedSharon
    SignedSharon Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ginger, I'm Sharon. I
    Hi Ginger, I'm Sharon. I too have a fractured sacrum. I've been in pain since May '10. Three months ago it was diagnosed by PET scan, CT scan, MRI, and xray. Within in the first 5 minutes of seeing a Orthopedic Oncologist, I was told they could do major surgery and place a pin. I wasn't ready for that... so he told me take 3 months. It's been two months, the pain isn't any better and I made an appt with another Orthopedic Oncologist for a 2nd opinion. I need to know more about this. I'm tried of pain medication.

Where are you with yours Ginger? Have you had surgery? Did yours heal?
  • ginrem
    ginrem Member Posts: 7

Hi Ginger, I'm Sharon. I
    Hi Ginger, I'm Sharon. I too have a fractured sacrum. I've been in pain since May '10. Three months ago it was diagnosed by PET scan, CT scan, MRI, and xray. Within in the first 5 minutes of seeing a Orthopedic Oncologist, I was told they could do major surgery and place a pin. I wasn't ready for that... so he told me take 3 months. It's been two months, the pain isn't any better and I made an appt with another Orthopedic Oncologist for a 2nd opinion. I need to know more about this. I'm tried of pain medication.

Where are you with yours Ginger? Have you had surgery? Did yours heal?

Hi Sharon,
    Sorry it took so

Hi Sharon,

Sorry it took so long to answer. How did your 2nd opinion go? My fractures were not complete and required no surgery. Discomfort has finally gone away. I took alot of motrin for the past 6 months. Cut back on pain meds and am now experiencing alot of discomfort with bowels. Wonder if it is something new or have had and just covered up because of all the motrin and pain meds. there always seems to be somthing! Hope you are doing better. Keep in touch, would like to know how you are doing.
    (HUGS)
    Ginger