3a survivors out there?

charliebirdy
charliebirdy Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My family and I are wondering if there are any good survivor stories about stage 3a? We really need something positive right now since surgery is not an option, nor is radiation.

Comments

• charliebirdy
    No one is out there?
    Is there really no one out there who knows anyone successful in stage 3a?
  • barryd2
    barryd2 Member Posts: 5 Member

No one is out there?

I'm a 3a nsclc survivor
    Hi Charlie... I was diagnosed in December 2007 with Stage 3a... I was told that the tumor was too close to the pulmonary artery (and also pretty large) making surgery impossible. I had 5 months of chemo, and the tumor shrank dramatically. I was able to have surgery in July 2008. The surgery was totally successful, but my doctor wanted me to have six weeks of daily radiation, and once a week chemo. I finished everything in October 2008.

So far, I have been totally cancer free since that time. I have a PET scan once a year now, and a CT scan of the chest in the middle of the year. Everything's been clean as a whistle... I'm still pretty fatigued, but that's a small price to pay.

Barry
  • charliebirdy
    barryd2 said:

I'm a 3a nsclc survivor
    Hi Charlie... I was diagnosed in December 2007 with Stage 3a... I was told that the tumor was too close to the pulmonary artery (and also pretty large) making surgery impossible. I had 5 months of chemo, and the tumor shrank dramatically. I was able to have surgery in July 2008. The surgery was totally successful, but my doctor wanted me to have six weeks of daily radiation, and once a week chemo. I finished everything in October 2008.

So far, I have been totally cancer free since that time. I have a PET scan once a year now, and a CT scan of the chest in the middle of the year. Everything's been clean as a whistle... I'm still pretty fatigued, but that's a small price to pay.

Barry

Thanks Barry
    My dad had 3 months of chemo that shrunk his tumor greatly too and his is was too close to the pulmonary artery too so they wouldn't do surgery right away. When they went into surgery, they pulled out since the cancer was in the lining of the lung...we were told it was only a 50% chance he could get the surgery.

Since the cancer is in the lining he can't do radiation so he just started chemo again. we hope we can do surgery again since we hear of people's successes like yours, but still unsure. Some say we can't be a candidate for surgery ever since it is in the lining. I'm assuming yours wasn't in the lining or maybe since you had more chemo the chemo killed the cancer in the lining?

Glad to hear you are clean and there is someone out there.
    Thanks again.
  • puppy2010
    puppy2010 Member Posts: 10 Member

No one is out there?

Stage 3A lung cancer survivor
    Hi, Charliebirdy,

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 3A squamous lung cancer last September. He had 36 radiation treatments and 5 chemotherapies. He is not a candidate for surgery because he had 3 tumors in his left lung and they were not sure if they would have to remove the entire left lung. He also has emphysema and COPD. He was hospitalized w/pneumona last February. They weren't sure if it was due to the radiation or just regular pneumona. He came through ok, but was on steroids for quite some time. In May, the dr. put him on Tarceva. He is doing fine w/it, but he has some bouts of diarhhea and a rash on his face, neck and back. The dr. isn't sure if the diarhhea is caused by the Tarceva or from the many other medications he is currently taking. His last CT scan showed no new cancer activity, and one of the spots they were watching has completely disappeared. He gets pretty tired and at times, frustrated with the diarhhea because it prevents him from doing some of the things he likes to do. I try to look at the positive things, like he can still drive, cut the grass on his riding mower, and function on his own. Even though it has changed our lives considerably, we try to enjoy each day. You are in my prayers.
  • margie r
    margie r Member Posts: 5 Member
    puppy2010 said:

Stage 3A lung cancer survivor
    Hi, Charliebirdy,

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 3A squamous lung cancer last September. He had 36 radiation treatments and 5 chemotherapies. He is not a candidate for surgery because he had 3 tumors in his left lung and they were not sure if they would have to remove the entire left lung. He also has emphysema and COPD. He was hospitalized w/pneumona last February. They weren't sure if it was due to the radiation or just regular pneumona. He came through ok, but was on steroids for quite some time. In May, the dr. put him on Tarceva. He is doing fine w/it, but he has some bouts of diarhhea and a rash on his face, neck and back. The dr. isn't sure if the diarhhea is caused by the Tarceva or from the many other medications he is currently taking. His last CT scan showed no new cancer activity, and one of the spots they were watching has completely disappeared. He gets pretty tired and at times, frustrated with the diarhhea because it prevents him from doing some of the things he likes to do. I try to look at the positive things, like he can still drive, cut the grass on his riding mower, and function on his own. Even though it has changed our lives considerably, we try to enjoy each day. You are in my prayers.

I have lung cancer 3a
    Had surgery in June 2008, went thru chemo. Went back to work. It showed up orginally in my lymph nodes. I have had pneumonia, chest x-ray showed up again. Did Tareva for 3 times, got worse and worse, on a break right now. Going to start new stuf in Oct that is suppose to be more tolerable.Still recovering from fatigue. You really have to enjoy each day. Every day that I get up and see the sun shine makes me feel good. I know that eeryones days are numbered so I try to make the best of it. The hardest is what it does to family. My grand daughter called me about a month ago, I was suppose to go see her. She was nana how are you feeling, I said I'm Ok, I'm coming over. I went and saw her and I was in bed for 3 days after. But the sunshine on her face was the best. Good Luck to you
  • margie r
    margie r Member Posts: 5 Member

No one is out there?

another note from earlier
    said it was in my lymph nodes. I have 8 nodules they are watching, but they are slow growing. I was happy to find this web site to see what everyone else is dealing with.

Margie
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    margie r said:

I have lung cancer 3a
    Had surgery in June 2008, went thru chemo. Went back to work. It showed up orginally in my lymph nodes. I have had pneumonia, chest x-ray showed up again. Did Tareva for 3 times, got worse and worse, on a break right now. Going to start new stuf in Oct that is suppose to be more tolerable.Still recovering from fatigue. You really have to enjoy each day. Every day that I get up and see the sun shine makes me feel good. I know that eeryones days are numbered so I try to make the best of it. The hardest is what it does to family. My grand daughter called me about a month ago, I was suppose to go see her. She was nana how are you feeling, I said I'm Ok, I'm coming over. I went and saw her and I was in bed for 3 days after. But the sunshine on her face was the best. Good Luck to you

Confused
    Margie, I'm trying to figure out what you mean when you say you did Tarceva for 3 times - do you mean you took the pill for 3 days?
    Stayingcalm