Stage 4 Lung Cancer

Comments

• grandpa
    grandpa Member Posts: 1
    Lung Cancer stage IV
    I really don't know why that I came onto to this site. After researching lung cancer treatments and the effects of those treatments to my body, I have elected to not take any treatments. I did consult with 4 different doctors (no onocoligists) about the benefits of taking radiation and or chemo. None wanted to tell me to not take treatments at first. I then asked them what they would advise if it were a loved one, they're consensus was that the quality of remaining life would be most important. It is not easy to make a decision to let a cancer take its own course with your body. I struggle every day to be as positive as I can be. I am very fortunate to have the support of my daughter and son-in-law. I am not trying to influence any one to not take treatments, but I would like to hear from anyone else who may have chosen the same path that I have chosen.

I need all of your prayers
  • Retiredsis
    Retiredsis Member Posts: 7
    grandpa said:

Lung Cancer stage IV
    I really don't know why that I came onto to this site. After researching lung cancer treatments and the effects of those treatments to my body, I have elected to not take any treatments. I did consult with 4 different doctors (no onocoligists) about the benefits of taking radiation and or chemo. None wanted to tell me to not take treatments at first. I then asked them what they would advise if it were a loved one, they're consensus was that the quality of remaining life would be most important. It is not easy to make a decision to let a cancer take its own course with your body. I struggle every day to be as positive as I can be. I am very fortunate to have the support of my daughter and son-in-law. I am not trying to influence any one to not take treatments, but I would like to hear from anyone else who may have chosen the same path that I have chosen.

Lung Cancer Stage IV Too
    I also have stage IV. I had surgery in Dec. 07 and then a second surgery in Feb. 08. This was followed by chemo which kept me cancer free for one year. I felt very good during this time. Then in Feb. 09, the cancer came back. I had yet another surgery in March 09. My cancer so far has only been in the lungs - nowhere else. I had radiation with chemo after the surgery followed by regular chemo. Now I am on a pill called Tarceva since Oct. 09.

I just want you to know that the treatments have kept me alive for more than 2 years. My quality of life is good. I still walk 1 mile perday, do my household chores, cook, and enjoy my grandchildren. I am 58 years old. I know some people struggle with the after affects of chemo, but I was lucky having minimal problems. Tarceva has a lot of side effects but nothing I can't handle.

It is your choice. Just wanted you to hear first hand from someone who has been in your shoes.
  • kim89
    kim89 Member Posts: 2
    Lisaann63 said:

Hi Darlene,
    We saw the medical oncologist today to discuss the results of the cat scan. After 2 chemo treatments and 3 bracheatherapy treatments(radiation in the airway), the tumor has shrunk a little. The dr. was pleased to see that. But she said they probably won't do radiation to the lung. She said they can only do that once, so they have to choose the time carefully. I thought that was rather strange. My husband goes for an MRI for the brain tomorrow, he received 10 focal point radiation treatments to that tumor back in Dec and early January. Then we'll see the radiation oncologist next week to discuss those results...So much..
    In the meantime, today was chemo treatment 3-my husband has been doing well..she wants to do a total of 6 and then give him a break..
    How is your mom doing? Has she started chemo yet? Please let me know how things are going and how you are doing.
    Take care
    Lisa

My boyfriend is only 21 n he
    My boyfriend is only 21 n he has stage 4 lung cancer..idk wat to do.. we were supposed to get married and have kids n grow old together..wat do I do :(
  • teetimegranny
    teetimegranny Member Posts: 1
    Lisaann63 said:

Thank you Darlene, that would be great. My husband did start chemo, he's had 2 cycles, he goes every 3 weeks and gets an IV of carboplatin and taxol. He did very well the first time around, the second time so far seems a little rougher for him, he's very very tired. He drinks Ensure, that's been helping in keeping his weight up, keep that in mind. Please let me know how things are going, would love to stay in touch.
    Lisa

Stage 4 lung cancer
    Hi Lisaann63
    I currently have stage 4 non small cell lung cancer. My orig. treatment was Carboplatin and Taxol combo but after the 5th treatment they had to stop , it caused too many side effects. The worse were the sores. But all went away after they stopped. for awhile. Then the drs tried a couple more chemos but the cancer has not responded to those. In January 2010 I was put back on Taxol. It's rough but I seem to be doing fine on it. I still get the sores, especially in my nose and I am sick for a couple days but appear to be doing ok. At last CT scan my tumors were not growing anymore. I will be having another ct scan mid May to see whats going on again. I am hopeful for a remission . I am a 2x breast cancer survivor and in April 2008 they discovered lung cancer. 3 different primary tumors in my life time, who would have thought. I have survived with cancer most of my life
    . My first Dx.came in 1979, then 1999 and then in 2008. I am still here, kicking up my heels, loving my family, esp. my hubby who is my "rock". This year we want to buy a 5th wheel and see a little of the USA. You hang in there, be strong, live life to the fullest with your Husband . The support I have from my family and friends is the most wonderful gift of all. I can't do the relays for life anymore but my Sister and Niece continue the effort. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. God Bless
  • noodle97
    noodle97 Member Posts: 2
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

stage 4 lung cancer
    Diki, i am sorry to hear about your husband, i too was told in dec 09 that i had stage 4 lung cancer adencarcinoma, was always cosidered as a fairly healthy person. though im only 41 years old my doctor is being aggressive in my treatment, im only doing chemo but so far its working. im taking alimta, carboplatin, and just added avastin. i hope and pray that your husbands stage is not a 4. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.
  • real said:

Stage 4 lung cancer
    Hello Lisaann 63
    My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell cancer in May of 08. I saw you post and wanted to know how your husband is doing? I too would like to know what to expect. He is doing well now. He had radiation on his brain and it showed it was all gone, but then last month another spot showed up on his last MRI. He had chemo and on his last visit in Feb. the doctor said it had not grown or gone away. We are waiting 2 months and do another MRI and CT Scan. He doesn't look sick just tired.
    Any words you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    REAL

• grandpa said:

Lung Cancer stage IV

• noodle97 said:

stage 4 lung cancer
    Diki, i am sorry to hear about your husband, i too was told in dec 09 that i had stage 4 lung cancer adencarcinoma, was always cosidered as a fairly healthy person. though im only 41 years old my doctor is being aggressive in my treatment, im only doing chemo but so far its working. im taking alimta, carboplatin, and just added avastin. i hope and pray that your husbands stage is not a 4. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

• BryanC_
    BryanC_ Member Posts: 9
    Stage 4 lung cancer
    I am 45 and have never smoked. I was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer in Nov of 2007. I have been off treatment since Oct of 2009. The cancer is still there but not progressing. I hope you husband is doing ok. Keep a postitve attitude. I think that does more than people realize.
  • sunshine45
    sunshine45 Member Posts: 2
    stage 4 lung cancer
    This is my first time on this site, so bear with me! I was diagnosed July 23, 2009 with stage 3 lung cancer and after a few more tests I was diagnosed with stage 4. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes and brain. I had 5 cycles of chemo and 31 radiation treatments. It all affects people differently with different side affects. It helps to read anything and everything you can get hold of concerning cancer. Read about your diagnosos but also about other cancers. Try to go to as many appointments with him as you can and most hospitals will let you go in with him for testing; MRI,CT, and such. When I feel more comfortable I will give more info-what I know about it. The most important thing to do is hang in there and never give up! Ask doctors, patients, care-givers-whomever you meet along this path any and every question you have about cancer. No question about cancer is stupid!!! And there are a ton of questions! One last thing for today any way: some people will be negative towards your situation and you have to cut them out of your life until they change. And some never will. You and your husband need to be around positive thinkers and doers. I hope I have helped you some and you will hear from me again. STAY STRONG!!! With love to all, sunshine45
  • BryanC_ said:

Stage 4 lung cancer
    I am 45 and have never smoked. I was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer in Nov of 2007. I have been off treatment since Oct of 2009. The cancer is still there but not progressing. I hope you husband is doing ok. Keep a postitve attitude. I think that does more than people realize.

• stage 4 lung cancer
    This is my first time on this site, so bear with me! I was diagnosed July 23, 2009 with stage 3 lung cancer and after a few more tests I was diagnosed with stage 4. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes and brain. I had 5 cycles of chemo and 31 radiation treatments. It all affects people differently with different side affects. It helps to read anything and everything you can get hold of concerning cancer. Read about your diagnosos but also about other cancers. Try to go to as many appointments with him as you can and most hospitals will let you go in with him for testing; MRI,CT, and such. When I feel more comfortable I will give more info-what I know about it. The most important thing to do is hang in there and never give up! Ask doctors, patients, care-givers-whomever you meet along this path any and every question you have about cancer. No question about cancer is stupid!!! And there are a ton of questions! One last thing for today any way: some people will be negative towards your situation and you have to cut them out of your life until they change. And some never will. You and your husband need to be around positive thinkers and doers. I hope I have helped you some and you will hear from me again. STAY STRONG!!! With love to all, sunshine45

• jpg2010
    jpg2010 Member Posts: 1

Stage 4 lung cancer
    Hi Lisaann63
    I currently have stage 4 non small cell lung cancer. My orig. treatment was Carboplatin and Taxol combo but after the 5th treatment they had to stop , it caused too many side effects. The worse were the sores. But all went away after they stopped. for awhile. Then the drs tried a couple more chemos but the cancer has not responded to those. In January 2010 I was put back on Taxol. It's rough but I seem to be doing fine on it. I still get the sores, especially in my nose and I am sick for a couple days but appear to be doing ok. At last CT scan my tumors were not growing anymore. I will be having another ct scan mid May to see whats going on again. I am hopeful for a remission . I am a 2x breast cancer survivor and in April 2008 they discovered lung cancer. 3 different primary tumors in my life time, who would have thought. I have survived with cancer most of my life
    . My first Dx.came in 1979, then 1999 and then in 2008. I am still here, kicking up my heels, loving my family, esp. my hubby who is my "rock". This year we want to buy a 5th wheel and see a little of the USA. You hang in there, be strong, live life to the fullest with your Husband . The support I have from my family and friends is the most wonderful gift of all. I can't do the relays for life anymore but my Sister and Niece continue the effort. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. God Bless

stage 4 cancer
    HI Teetimegranny,I too have just been diagnosed in April with stage four nsclc.Iit has masticized to the brain,right leg ,spine and several lymph nodes.I am to have 10 treatments of radiation starting this wednesday.Praying all goes well.I have read such encouraging stories here.The waiting to get approvals from the insurance companies is the worst.Since it was fisrt discovered from a yearly exam and very little symptoms they were slow to approve tests.WE are keeping a positive attitude although hard.We have a supportive family,friends and church family.So anything you can tell us would be so appreciated.Blessings to you
  • gkbruzik
    gkbruzik Member Posts: 7
    Confused by treatment
    My best friend was diagnosed with cancer a week ago. He has kidney cancer and lung cancer (stage 4). He is 36 and has had a history of depression which he was on medication for. They are not sure which one was the source but they have said to him that he will be getting chemotherapy as his treatment. I am not sure why they wont attempt to surgically remove both cancers? If only chemo is used, does that mean the doctors think it is the only treatment that will help? they think surgery is pointless? I am very confused and I think we are all still in denial about this. What can his friends/family do to help him through this? can we pray for a miracle :( ?
  • 1976hdn
    1976hdn Member Posts: 4
    real said:

Stage 4 lung cancer
    Hello Lisaann 63
    My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell cancer in May of 08. I saw you post and wanted to know how your husband is doing? I too would like to know what to expect. He is doing well now. He had radiation on his brain and it showed it was all gone, but then last month another spot showed up on his last MRI. He had chemo and on his last visit in Feb. the doctor said it had not grown or gone away. We are waiting 2 months and do another MRI and CT Scan. He doesn't look sick just tired.
    Any words you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    REAL

Stage 4 small cell lung cancer
    Hello, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer, he is 62. He has not smoked for 6 years. Surgery is not an option, he has a large tumor on his lungs with spots all over his chest and a small spot on his brain. He starts chemo on Monday to hopefully shrink that rotton stuff! Anyone out there been through anything similar to this that has any kind words or advice to share???

• jol
    jol Member Posts: 4
    Stage IV lung cancer
    My father was recently diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer and is just about finished with radiation treatment. He received 10 treatments to his chest and head and has 2 more treatments scheduled just to his head. We talk to the oncologist tomorrow morning to talk about chemo. I am very concerned because they told my father that he would be lucky to make it to Christmas, and now they want to do chemo. He has already been having side effects to the radiation and the decadron that they put him on. I am very concerned with the chemo because my father wants to enjoy his last days with his family, not be sick his last days. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow after talking to the doctor.
  • onemore
    onemore Member Posts: 57
    jol said:

Stage IV lung cancer
    My father was recently diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer and is just about finished with radiation treatment. He received 10 treatments to his chest and head and has 2 more treatments scheduled just to his head. We talk to the oncologist tomorrow morning to talk about chemo. I am very concerned because they told my father that he would be lucky to make it to Christmas, and now they want to do chemo. He has already been having side effects to the radiation and the decadron that they put him on. I am very concerned with the chemo because my father wants to enjoy his last days with his family, not be sick his last days. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow after talking to the doctor.

Hi Jol
    I was reading your

Hi Jol

I was reading your post and wanted to introduce myself to you.

My dad has lung cancer as well. He has Epithelioid Mesothelioma.

The oncologist told us that there are only 1500 cases of this in the US.

My dad did Chemo 1st, only 2 rounds - it did not work so they stopped. The side effects of the chemo for him were not so bad. The cancer actually advanced.

The surgeon decided to go ahead with surgery to remove his lung. Surgery was not successful. It was to advanced. Tumor was plastered to his ribs.

Now he started radiation. They said that they would like to give him 25 rounds of radiation and that it is very invasive. They told him that if it gets to be to much for him they will stop.

I just had some questions for you. What kind of side effects did your dad have with the radiation?

I will keep you, your dad and family in my prayers at this difficult time.

Regards
  • amweamwe
    amweamwe Member Posts: 1
    blondie1 said:

Hi. I was diagnosed with stage 4 metastic lung cancer (lymph node involvement) in June of 2006. Mine was also inoperable. When treated with chemo I went in every three weeks for an IV treatment, with blood work done before each treatment. This went on for 8 months. It's possible the treatment left his blood in a bad way and he was given treatments to counter the effects of the chemo. It's possible he was treated with radiation therapy. You and your Mom need to be very proactive by asking many questions and getting as much information as possible about treatments and side effects. Take a pad of paper with you and write down the answers. They should have given you a bunch of brochures describing treatments and side effects. If not I would certainly speak up and possibly look for another doctor. They should be explaining everything they do. Also ask about his being treated with Avastin. This drug actually attaches to the cancer cells and starves the cells by not letting them get any blood. They shrivel up and die. I wish your Dad much luck. Two and a half years later they find no sign of cancer in my body. There is always the possibility that one little cell is hiding and will pop up later, but for now all is good. The treatment is like hell, and sometimes he may wish he were already dead. But there can be a rainbow at the end of the storm. And I guess that's what it's all about!!

So good to here a success story
    Hi Blondie1

My boyfreind has stage IV lung cancer with no mets to the brain on scans in the beginning. It was isolated to the lung. He is being treated with a three combination of Caboplatin, Alimta and Avastin. He has had three treatments so far and it has surely taken it's toll on him. Had PET scan last week and Dr. is going to discuss results this week coming up. I am so greatful I read your reply to newbie because honestly I am freaking out right now. I know that treatment is so more advanced than it use to be and they are making great strides. Thanks again for your encouraging words to all of us.
  • callozhome
    callozhome Member Posts: 3
    amweamwe said:

So good to here a success story
    Hi Blondie1

My boyfreind has stage IV lung cancer with no mets to the brain on scans in the beginning. It was isolated to the lung. He is being treated with a three combination of Caboplatin, Alimta and Avastin. He has had three treatments so far and it has surely taken it's toll on him. Had PET scan last week and Dr. is going to discuss results this week coming up. I am so greatful I read your reply to newbie because honestly I am freaking out right now. I know that treatment is so more advanced than it use to be and they are making great strides. Thanks again for your encouraging words to all of us.

Similar situation
    Dear amweanwe:
    My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCL in August 2011 and has nearly completed his second round of chemo. The first was Carboplatin & Alimta and the CT scan showed some improvement. The current treatment is the same as your boyfriend so I hope his scan has an optimistic outcome. Please post when you find out.
    Fatigue and lack of appetite are the most obvious symptoms, now that the pain is under control. Pain symptoms first presented in January 2011 and the MD originally had him diagnosed with pancreatitis, then pancreatic cancer, finally pathology narrowed it down to lung cancer. Surgery is not an option and radiation has not been suggested either.
    Good luck with the results.
  • sewt
    sewt Member Posts: 1
    Stage 4 Lung Cancer
    I'm new here but my husband was diagnosed with nsclc in October. It is stage 4 and has gone to the liver. We have been through four rounds of cisplatin, xgeva, genzmar and a bone shot because he had some - not much in the bones. After the first two rounds the tumors shrunk by 50percent. After the fourth round the lung tumor looked like scar tissue and he could barely see any cancer in the liver. I am calling it a miracle. Now we are on avastin and bone shots only until they re scan. They want to re scan in 2 - 3 months but we prefer 2. He fells better now not taking the cisplatin. Energy level still low though. How old is your husband? Mine will be 59 in April. Needless to say we were totally devasted.