Memory Quilt

Caregiver1963
Caregiver1963 Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Grief and Bereavement #1
I thought I would share this photo of a quilt I had made of my husband's favorite shirts ( and jeans!). It arrived last week and I am pleased with how it turned out. It is really helping me with my grief - It is on my bed and reminds me of good memories
Mary

Comments

• 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Great idea!
    Mary,
    That was a great idea to have that quilt made from your husbands shirts. I have a friend, who let her kids & grandkids pick out one of her husbands shirts & she had someone make a teddy bear from them. I'm thinking of doing that except I'll probably cry everytime I look at it. Since he passed away I have the last shirt he wore next to me in bed. It gives me alot of comfort. Good luck and we have to stay strong & remember the happy times we had with them.
    Carole
  • lilli1020
    lilli1020 Member Posts: 114
    3Mana said:

Great idea!
    Mary,
    That was a great idea to have that quilt made from your husbands shirts. I have a friend, who let her kids & grandkids pick out one of her husbands shirts & she had someone make a teddy bear from them. I'm thinking of doing that except I'll probably cry everytime I look at it. Since he passed away I have the last shirt he wore next to me in bed. It gives me alot of comfort. Good luck and we have to stay strong & remember the happy times we had with them.
    Carole

3mana....I too sometimes
    3mana....I too sometimes keep a flannel shirt beside me in bed. Our beloved dog loves to scratch around in it, smell it and settle down for the night right in the middle of it. She misses him too and it helps me to touch and feel it sometimes....anything that will help, it doesn't matter!
    Gayle
  • rubyslippers
    rubyslippers Member Posts: 53
    lilli1020 said:

3mana....I too sometimes
    3mana....I too sometimes keep a flannel shirt beside me in bed. Our beloved dog loves to scratch around in it, smell it and settle down for the night right in the middle of it. She misses him too and it helps me to touch and feel it sometimes....anything that will help, it doesn't matter!
    Gayle

pillow cases
    Hi , My wonderful, courageous young mum passed away 56 days ago. While in hospital my mum and dad had a special nightie that mum wore, that had two giraffes on them with their necks entwined , My dad use to say to mum that was him and she would say the other one was her. After my mums body could fight this awful disease no more, I purchased two of these nighties and made two pillowcases for my dad, he gets great comfort from having a lovely memory of mum so close to him when he relaxes.
    XXXXX Rubyslippers
  • junklady
    junklady Member Posts: 88 Member
    Quilt too
    This winter I am going to attempt to make my first quilt from my husband's denim shirts. That's all he ever wore, wrangler denim shirts and jeans. I bought him a new bathrobe the week before he died, and I wear it all the time. This is a tough time, good days and bad. Dale will be gone a month on the 29th. I sure miss him.
    Cynthia
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    junklady said:

Quilt too
    This winter I am going to attempt to make my first quilt from my husband's denim shirts. That's all he ever wore, wrangler denim shirts and jeans. I bought him a new bathrobe the week before he died, and I wear it all the time. This is a tough time, good days and bad. Dale will be gone a month on the 29th. I sure miss him.
    Cynthia

Month Dates
    Those month dates are hard even now when it has been 11 months for me. I try to ignore them, but it doesn't work. Be good to yourself that day. Fay
  • closs86
    closs86 Member Posts: 85

Month Dates
    Those month dates are hard even now when it has been 11 months for me. I try to ignore them, but it doesn't work. Be good to yourself that day. Fay

great ideas
    Hi
    I love these ideas, never thought of them, did you send the shirts somewhere or did you make the quilt yourself, it is beautiful, and I love the teddy bear idea, for the grandkids, where do you have that done?
    Karen
  • Caregiver1963
    Caregiver1963 Member Posts: 46
    closs86 said:

great ideas
    Hi
    I love these ideas, never thought of them, did you send the shirts somewhere or did you make the quilt yourself, it is beautiful, and I love the teddy bear idea, for the grandkids, where do you have that done?
    Karen

I wish I could sew
    I had the quilt made by a place called campus quilts. Going through some additional clothing of my husband's today and thinking of having another quilt made
    Mary
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    junklady said:

Quilt too
    Cynthia

Hello Cynthia Junklady So
    Hello Cynthia Junklady
    So happy to see you posting. Are you sure Dale and my dad were not twins? This is just too close for words! Denim is all my dad ever wore. We nicknamed him Mr Denim. We had him cremated in his jeans, denim shirt, and denim vest. I bought him his first ever fleece robe in December. He wore it and loved it tremendously! Mom has it hanging in his closet.Mom has been talking about wanting to have a quilt made out of dad's shirts and jeans! What a small world this is. God bless you my friend. Each month will be a reminder. We just past our 6th month. It does not get easier, but it does get a little better. Hugs to you.
    Tina in Va