stage 4 liver colon cancer

tina dasilva
tina dasilva Member Posts: 641
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband has stage 4 liver colon cancer he has had 3 chemo and now his tumor markers was at 44 6 weeks ago and now its at 54 do we still have hope

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Hope
    Of course you should still have plenty of hope, my tumor count started at 2154, after 8 chemos (I think) it's down to 9.5 at the moment.
    Tumor counts go up, go down, etc., if it continues to climb at next cea test, ask about different chemos.
    I'm stage IV, diagnosed in February 6th this year, plenty of hope left.
    Winter Marie
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Markers shmarkers...

Re:
    "his tumor markers was at 44 6 weeks ago and now its at 54 do we still have hope "

The count could be up to one million and fifty-four, and you still have hope.

One thing your guy should make sure to do, is get other opinions
    from other colorectal surgeons. He should get other colorectal surgeons
    that are -not- of the same group or association, and even better if from
    another town. Opinions can be wrong, and often are, so getting two or
    three when you're dealing with a life or death event, is good sense.

There's a thread here regarding CEA markers and what they mean.
    Read the posts, print out the thread, and take it along on visits to
    the physician's office. A rising marker can be a good sign. People
    die when mistakes in judgement are made by those making the
    life-or-death decisions. Get other opinions. (I repeat myself, huh)

Good luck and better health!

John
  • tina dasilva
    Thank you for hope line and
    Thank you for hope line and as for going to see a other doctor we try to go see a doctor in toronto and they trued us down but we go for a ct scan on monday and I'm so hoping that the cancer has gotten smaller but with the markers gone up I'm worried .
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Hi Tina
    I just wanted to welcome you and point you over to this thread which may have some information for you regarding his CEA levels??

http://csn.cancer.org/node/201101
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member

Thank you for hope line and
    Thank you for hope line and as for going to see a other doctor we try to go see a doctor in toronto and they trued us down but we go for a ct scan on monday and I'm so hoping that the cancer has gotten smaller but with the markers gone up I'm worried .

Tina, do you live in Ontario?
    Welcome Tina. I am sorry that you need to be here, but this is a good site for info. + support. Do you live in Ontario? I live just outside of Toronto + am being treated in Toronto.
  • tina dasilva
    AnneCan said:

Tina, do you live in Ontario?
    Welcome Tina. I am sorry that you need to be here, but this is a good site for info. + support. Do you live in Ontario? I live just outside of Toronto + am being treated in Toronto.

yes i do i live in Brantford
    yes i do i live in Brantford ont where do you live
  • AnneCan

yes i do i live in Brantford
    yes i do i live in Brantford ont where do you live

I live in Mississauga + grew
    I live in Mississauga + grew up in Hamilton. Where in Toronto did you try to get a referral? Is your boyfriend being treated in brantford or Hamilton currently?
  • tina dasilva
    AnneCan said:

I live in Mississauga + grew
    I live in Mississauga + grew up in Hamilton. Where in Toronto did you try to get a referral? Is your boyfriend being treated in brantford or Hamilton currently?

he's being treated in
    he's being treated in Hamilton he's going to have a ct scan tomorrow he has one spot on his liver and its from the colon .i dont know what to think about all of this .what kind of cancer do you have ?
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Lori-S said:

Hi Tina
    I just wanted to welcome you and point you over to this thread which may have some information for you regarding his CEA levels??

http://csn.cancer.org/node/201101

Welcome
    Glad that he is a survivor and joining us in our journey to fight the beast!
  • AnneCan

he's being treated in
    he's being treated in Hamilton he's going to have a ct scan tomorrow he has one spot on his liver and its from the colon .i dont know what to think about all of this .what kind of cancer do you have ?

Jurvanski Centre?
    If he is being treated at the Jurvanski Centre, that is a very good cancer centre from what I know. There are also good ones in Toronto, for second opinions. I have colon cancer with spread to my liver + possibly one of my ovaries. So far I have not been eligible for surgery; there was more than one spot on my liver + they wanted to reduce those as much as possible. I have had chemo + radiation the summer of '09 + have been on chemo since then. Every case is different. What treatment has your boyfriend undergone or will be undergoing?
  • Go.Fight.Win
    Go.Fight.Win Member Posts: 3
    I was just diagnosed with
    I was just diagnosed with Stage IVa Colon Cancer...I'm a healthy 40 yr old.....Ive started Go.Fight.Win to make others aware of young people getting colon cancer... And do testing early...It can save your life.. I will share my story to safe others..... Please write me and I will share it.. Ive had colon surgery and am having liver surgery this week... Then I will have chemo for six months.... :)You can find Go.Fight.Win on facebook also.. Please "like" my page on FB Too....
  • tina dasilva
    AnneCan said:

Jurvanski Centre?
    If he is being treated at the Jurvanski Centre, that is a very good cancer centre from what I know. There are also good ones in Toronto, for second opinions. I have colon cancer with spread to my liver + possibly one of my ovaries. So far I have not been eligible for surgery; there was more than one spot on my liver + they wanted to reduce those as much as possible. I have had chemo + radiation the summer of '09 + have been on chemo since then. Every case is different. What treatment has your boyfriend undergone or will be undergoing?

he just started his 4th
    he just started his 4th cycle of chemo and tomorrow he will be going for his CT scan and right now that is all we have for treatment.
  • AnneCan

he just started his 4th
    he just started his 4th cycle of chemo and tomorrow he will be going for his CT scan and right now that is all we have for treatment.

Good luck!
    Please wish your boyfriend all the best for his CT scans; I have my fingers crossed for good results from his treatments.
  • tina dasilva
    AnneCan said:

Good luck!
    Please wish your boyfriend all the best for his CT scans; I have my fingers crossed for good results from his treatments.

Thank you so much and we
    Thank you so much and we wish the best for you too. did your tumor markers ever go up before they went down im asking because Jorge's was at 44 and last week they where at 54 im think the cancer is geting bigger .
  • tina dasilva
    Nana b said:

Welcome
    Glad that he is a survivor and joining us in our journey to fight the beast!

Thank you so very much

Thank you so very much
  • tina dasilva

I was just diagnosed with
    I was just diagnosed with Stage IVa Colon Cancer...I'm a healthy 40 yr old.....Ive started Go.Fight.Win to make others aware of young people getting colon cancer... And do testing early...It can save your life.. I will share my story to safe others..... Please write me and I will share it.. Ive had colon surgery and am having liver surgery this week... Then I will have chemo for six months.... :)You can find Go.Fight.Win on facebook also.. Please "like" my page on FB Too....

i wish you the very best of
    i wish you the very best of luck. how many spots on your liver did you have and all so your tumor markers did they go up before they went down im asking because Jorge's went up they were at 44 and last week we were told they went up to 54 i dont know want to think .tell how long have you been fighting the cancer thank you for your story
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member

i wish you the very best of
    i wish you the very best of luck. how many spots on your liver did you have and all so your tumor markers did they go up before they went down im asking because Jorge's went up they were at 44 and last week we were told they went up to 54 i dont know want to think .tell how long have you been fighting the cancer thank you for your story

Stage IV
    Just to let you know hon, I have mets to my liver, I had many "spots", numerous was how they worded it, after 8 chemo's, it's down to 2 that they can see, and those 2 have shrunk tremendously, I also have spots here and there in my body, as well as the original colon cancer tumor. I haven't had any surgery as of yet, just chemo, but my body is doing well and hanging in there quite nicely. I'm actually doing more then hanging in there, I'm fighting the cancer, it was a tug of war for awhile, but now I'm getting the best of it.
    Don't go by tumor count only, okay? You have to give chemo a chance to work.
    In particular, what type of chemo is Jorge on????
    I was diagnosed in Feb 6th of 2010, I plan on being around for quite some time, my body feels quite well, I feel normal except for a few days after chemo.
    Winter Marie
  • tina dasilva

Stage IV
    Just to let you know hon, I have mets to my liver, I had many "spots", numerous was how they worded it, after 8 chemo's, it's down to 2 that they can see, and those 2 have shrunk tremendously, I also have spots here and there in my body, as well as the original colon cancer tumor. I haven't had any surgery as of yet, just chemo, but my body is doing well and hanging in there quite nicely. I'm actually doing more then hanging in there, I'm fighting the cancer, it was a tug of war for awhile, but now I'm getting the best of it.
    Don't go by tumor count only, okay? You have to give chemo a chance to work.
    In particular, what type of chemo is Jorge on????
    I was diagnosed in Feb 6th of 2010, I plan on being around for quite some time, my body feels quite well, I feel normal except for a few days after chemo.
    Winter Marie

He's on folfiri-beva and i
    He's on folfiri-beva and i think 5fu if thats not the same .im just so worried he's the love of my life .
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

He's on folfiri-beva and i
    He's on folfiri-beva and i think 5fu if thats not the same .im just so worried he's the love of my life .

Hi tina
    Hi Tina I am in Owen Sound and was treated in both London and Owen Sound ontario....I am a going on 6 year colon/liver survivor.....my liver was a big mass of tumors and I had surgery in London before starting chemo.

the cancer came back to the liver and they did a second resection of the liver and another round of chemo....Tina there is always hope even when some docs tell you there is none.

hang in....hugs, mags
  • tina dasilva
    maglets said:

Hi tina
    Hi Tina I am in Owen Sound and was treated in both London and Owen Sound ontario....I am a going on 6 year colon/liver survivor.....my liver was a big mass of tumors and I had surgery in London before starting chemo.

the cancer came back to the liver and they did a second resection of the liver and another round of chemo....Tina there is always hope even when some docs tell you there is none.

hang in....hugs, mags

omg thank you so much it
    omg thank you so much it makes me happy to hear that poeple do win and my heart and soul goes out to you i wish you all the best omg thank you again