Adventures in bagland

coolvdub
coolvdub Member Posts: 408 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I guess it's a love hate relationship with this bag. I was already having a rough night, went to bed about 10:30 and the dog had me up at 12:15 because she was so restless. So I got up with her and decided to nap out on the couch. Woke up at 4:15 and instinctively knew all was not right. Reached down to the bag area and my hand came back all wet and covered in you know what, yay!

Fortunately it had just started to happen so it wasn't a huge mess. Last time we had to change all the bedding, so this was no big deal now that I'm all cleaned up and sealed up.
Such a humbling experience all this is. I feel really lucky that all my major blowouts have been at home where it is much easier to deal with, and I was not out in public. Now that would be embarrassing.

Why can't they make a vented bag where the vent actually works for more than a couple of hours? I mean we have been to the moon, but we can't have a reliable vent system? During the day when your awake, no problem just excuse myself to the nearest restroom and burp the bag and it no longer looks like I have the Goodyear blimp moored to my side.

The problem at night is you aren't aware and that's when the problems start. I already have changed my sleeping habits where I set an alarm for 1:30 to check on the bag. and since I get up at 4:30 or so everyday, it's usually not a problem. I guess more effort needs to be put into removing foods that cause gas from my diet.

Well thanks for your time if you read this far, just needed to vent a little. No pun intended.

Don

Comments

• Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    That hits a big 10
    Yep, That hits a big 10 on the “this sucks meter”.

Kerry
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Another thing you might try
    Have you tried taking Beano or GasX just before you eat? They are supposed to help relieve gas when you eat certain types of foods.

Just a thought.

Marie who loves kitties
  • coolvdub

Another thing you might try
    Have you tried taking Beano or GasX just before you eat? They are supposed to help relieve gas when you eat certain types of foods.

Just a thought.

Marie who loves kitties

Kerry,
    You bet it is.

Kerry,

You bet it is. Fortunately the belt I wear worked like your bag keeper. So no real big problems.

Marie,

Thanks for the advice, you must be a mind reader. Because I was just thinking about trying that.

Don
  • Sigma34
    Sigma34 Member Posts: 203
    coolvdub said:

Kerry,
    You bet it is.

Kerry,

You bet it is. Fortunately the belt I wear worked like your bag keeper. So no real big problems.

Marie,

Thanks for the advice, you must be a mind reader. Because I was just thinking about trying that.

Don

Great advice about Beano and
    Great advice about Beano and Gas X.

Hey, Don, looks like you have been married for awhile, how long.....
  • coolvdub
    Sigma34 said:

Great advice about Beano and
    Great advice about Beano and Gas X.

Hey, Don, looks like you have been married for awhile, how long.....

Hey
    Hey did you just call me old? Just kidding. Sheri and I have been married for 23 years. She has been my rock through all of this. I hope we will be together for at least 75 years or more.

Don
  • Sigma34
    coolvdub said:

Hey
    Hey did you just call me old? Just kidding. Sheri and I have been married for 23 years. She has been my rock through all of this. I hope we will be together for at least 75 years or more.

Don

Oh no, not old! You two
    Oh no, not old! You two hold one another like your heart beat as one. :-) the love shines!

P&C

Christine~
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Don -

Re:
    "Why can't they make a vented bag where the vent actually works for more than a couple of hours?"

I use the Coloplast Assura 2-piece series with their "Extended wear" wafer.
    I get an average of 2-3 weeks out of a wafer, and change the pouch as needed
    (usually a week or so).

Their new pouches have a vent that manages to work for a good solid week,
    but it may depend on your personal condition.... I have a lot of gas with the
    ileostomy, but not all the time.

Not eating will produce more gas, than if you eat at regular intervals. So going
    without eating will generate the Hindenberg. Beer, soda, drinking anything
    through a straw, will produce gas, because of the air being ingested.

They do sell small vents that you can manually open, to fit any appliance,
    and a quick search can produce them. Most on-line catalogs for ostomy
    supplies will show you what they are.

Aside from gas.... make sure you are emptying the pouch when it is
    no more than 1/3 full. Any more than 1/3 full, and you will have leakage
    problems. Every manufacturer suggests that "1/3" amount.

GasX? I've used it. It's just one more chemical to load that liver with...
    What the hell... dump 'em right in there. What's one more chemical?
    We're all gonna' die anyway, right? (har har)

The best diet is to eat a large breakfast early, a very large meal
    for lunch, and a very small amount for dinner, and always dinner
    before 5pm. Nothing after 6pm, with exception to a small piece
    of fruit before 8pm. Doing that will allow you to sleep better,
    digest your food better, and keep from producing wild amounts
    of gas.

Sometimes being healthy is a pain in the ****, but we all know
    what the alternative is....

Good luck!

John
  • coolvdub
    John23 said:

Don -

Re:
    "Why can't they make a vented bag where the vent actually works for more than a couple of hours?"

I use the Coloplast Assura 2-piece series with their "Extended wear" wafer.
    I get an average of 2-3 weeks out of a wafer, and change the pouch as needed
    (usually a week or so).

Their new pouches have a vent that manages to work for a good solid week,
    but it may depend on your personal condition.... I have a lot of gas with the
    ileostomy, but not all the time.

Not eating will produce more gas, than if you eat at regular intervals. So going
    without eating will generate the Hindenberg. Beer, soda, drinking anything
    through a straw, will produce gas, because of the air being ingested.

They do sell small vents that you can manually open, to fit any appliance,
    and a quick search can produce them. Most on-line catalogs for ostomy
    supplies will show you what they are.

Aside from gas.... make sure you are emptying the pouch when it is
    no more than 1/3 full. Any more than 1/3 full, and you will have leakage
    problems. Every manufacturer suggests that "1/3" amount.

GasX? I've used it. It's just one more chemical to load that liver with...
    What the hell... dump 'em right in there. What's one more chemical?
    We're all gonna' die anyway, right? (har har)

The best diet is to eat a large breakfast early, a very large meal
    for lunch, and a very small amount for dinner, and always dinner
    before 5pm. Nothing after 6pm, with exception to a small piece
    of fruit before 8pm. Doing that will allow you to sleep better,
    digest your food better, and keep from producing wild amounts
    of gas.

Sometimes being healthy is a pain in the ****, but we all know
    what the alternative is....

Good luck!

John

I know what you mean
    Christine,

I knew you weren't calling me old just kidding around.

John,

I will use the pills as a last resort. I believe diet ad as you have stated timing of meals is key. Trust me, I don't take anything more than absolutely needed these days. Only daily pill is Iron to get anemia in check.

I empty frequently so as to never be more than 1/3 full. I have seen the vents you can add to any bag, just don't know if I would trust them for leakage purposes. I suppose trying the Coloplast might be a good idea, been using Hollister since day one. I think I may get some samples to try.

As far as timing of eating that will be a tough one. I don't get off work until 4:30 and it's an hour drive home. Would be close but doable. The other thing that may be having an effect is my changing diet. We are going more towards the vegetarian diet, since all of the factory meat and chicken is fed all sorts of things that are really bad for you, I won't go into that though.

Don
  • Sigma34
    coolvdub said:

I know what you mean
    Christine,

I knew you weren't calling me old just kidding around.

John,

I will use the pills as a last resort. I believe diet ad as you have stated timing of meals is key. Trust me, I don't take anything more than absolutely needed these days. Only daily pill is Iron to get anemia in check.

I empty frequently so as to never be more than 1/3 full. I have seen the vents you can add to any bag, just don't know if I would trust them for leakage purposes. I suppose trying the Coloplast might be a good idea, been using Hollister since day one. I think I may get some samples to try.

As far as timing of eating that will be a tough one. I don't get off work until 4:30 and it's an hour drive home. Would be close but doable. The other thing that may be having an effect is my changing diet. We are going more towards the vegetarian diet, since all of the factory meat and chicken is fed all sorts of things that are really bad for you, I won't go into that though.

Don

Ha! I knew you you were
    Ha! I knew you you were kidding. :-)