Got my SSD approval letter

kelli1843
kelli1843 Member Posts: 72
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Due to my SCLC, my doctor deemed me unable to return to work (I have not physically worked since March 2010, but have stayed on payroll utilizing my accumulated sick & vacation days). This is due to end shortly.

Had my SSA appt 8/10. Haven't heard a word until I checked my checking acct this week and found a deposit from them. Next day, got letter to set up my password. Today, I got my award letter for disability approval. Whew!

Now, my question is this. I also applied for early retirement disability thru NYS Employee's Retirement system. Since I'm under 55, that is drastically reduced. I thought I was able to get both (mind gets horribly confused). Friend told me no--say I get $1200 a month from SSA, say my retirement dbl is $1000 a month. She said I've have to contact SSA and they would reduce their payment to $200.

I called both today and left messages. It's hard for me to hear on the phone (I'm partially deaf anyways and brain radiation burned my ears).

I've read 100 sites on-line today to find an answer to this. I'm a worrier. Now, I'm scared I won't make enough to live on. The retirement system is very hard to contact to get an answer and I just sent my final paperwork into them this week.

I'm thankful SSA approved me, don't get me wrong. It's just scary realising this is my income for rest of my life and once I give notice at work..that is it.

Comments

• Donnanva
    Donnanva Member Posts: 31
    Kelli
    Kelli, I wish I had some good news for you.

I'm on SSD myself and am under 55. I had also paid for long term disabilty while I was working. Little did I know that my SSD would be reduced by the amount of my LTD payment.

I'm so sorry. It really is rough and I wish I hadn't wasted the money on the LTD.

My situation is a little different than yours though.

I wish you the best.
    Donna
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
    Donnanva said:

Kelli
    Kelli, I wish I had some good news for you.

I'm on SSD myself and am under 55. I had also paid for long term disabilty while I was working. Little did I know that my SSD would be reduced by the amount of my LTD payment.

I'm so sorry. It really is rough and I wish I hadn't wasted the money on the LTD.

My situation is a little different than yours though.

I wish you the best.
    Donna

SSD
    Hello Friends...I should be getting my checks soon so what I may know may not be the case !!, but it is my understanding that the SSD will not be cut, but the private LTD will be cut by the difference of SSD.

Example, say LTD will give you $1500/mo, SSD allows for $1200. You are still entitled to the $1500, but now only $300 will come from LTD and $1200 from SSD.

This is my take on it

Dave
  • cb girl
    cb girl Member Posts: 56 Member
    Dapsterd said:

SSD
    Hello Friends...I should be getting my checks soon so what I may know may not be the case !!, but it is my understanding that the SSD will not be cut, but the private LTD will be cut by the difference of SSD.

Example, say LTD will give you $1500/mo, SSD allows for $1200. You are still entitled to the $1500, but now only $300 will come from LTD and $1200 from SSD.

This is my take on it

Dave

SSD
    My husband will be receiving his SSD beginning in Oct. Amazingly the process went quickly and smoothly-he applied in August and because of his dx stage IIIa he was fast track. His private LTD won't be affected by the off-set provision but his company provided LTD will be affected by the SSD. I draw great strength from the information and courage of all of you who post on here. Thank you.
  • Donnanva
    cb girl said:

SSD
    My husband will be receiving his SSD beginning in Oct. Amazingly the process went quickly and smoothly-he applied in August and because of his dx stage IIIa he was fast track. His private LTD won't be affected by the off-set provision but his company provided LTD will be affected by the SSD. I draw great strength from the information and courage of all of you who post on here. Thank you.

Sorry
    Yes, I had that mixed up. Thanks for the correction. Donna
  • Donnanva
    cb girl said:

SSD

Sorry
    Yes, I had that mixed up. Thanks for the correction. Donna
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
    cb girl said:

SSD

SSD
    Well, I finally got the SSD approval letter this week !! They said they will check back with me in 3 years.

Started the process June, will get first check in Nov. the 6-mo. standard waiting period. I know some folks get checks early, depends on the which approval board reviews I guess.

So I am now approved for SSD and work LTD !

I have submitted a written a letter to my work and discussed with HR, formally telling them I am not coming back to work anytime soon due to 10 more chemos, fatique, concentration, you know. So I told them to do what they have to do with my position...they understand, they are a good co. to work for before, and so far during this situation. I have "hinted" to them over a couple months, that coming back to work may not be the right option for me, so they "kinda" knew.

CHemo today and CT review with Onc !!!!! We will see !!

Take care, Dave
  • kelli1843
    Dapsterd said:

SSD
    Well, I finally got the SSD approval letter this week !! They said they will check back with me in 3 years.

Started the process June, will get first check in Nov. the 6-mo. standard waiting period. I know some folks get checks early, depends on the which approval board reviews I guess.

So I am now approved for SSD and work LTD !

I have submitted a written a letter to my work and discussed with HR, formally telling them I am not coming back to work anytime soon due to 10 more chemos, fatique, concentration, you know. So I told them to do what they have to do with my position...they understand, they are a good co. to work for before, and so far during this situation. I have "hinted" to them over a couple months, that coming back to work may not be the right option for me, so they "kinda" knew.

CHemo today and CT review with Onc !!!!! We will see !!

Take care, Dave

My work doesn't have LTD;
    My work doesn't have LTD; I've spent this year using accumulated sick and vacation days to stay on payroll. I have 18 years in NYS retirement sytem built up, so they are the ones I'm waiting to see if I qualify for disability retirement.

Congrats to those who got SSA approval!
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    kelli1843 said:

My work doesn't have LTD;
    My work doesn't have LTD; I've spent this year using accumulated sick and vacation days to stay on payroll. I have 18 years in NYS retirement sytem built up, so they are the ones I'm waiting to see if I qualify for disability retirement.

Congrats to those who got SSA approval!

kelli
    If your retirement is anything like mine, They may pay you a lump sum for the rest of your accumulated sick and vacation days. I am federal. Upon retirement I would get paid for any vacation days I had left. They don't pay me for sick time. Check with your HR office they will be able to tell you.

c
  • cziranugitt
    cziranugitt Member Posts: 7
    SSD
    Hi,
    My name is Kelly and my mother was recently diagnosed with Stage IIIb lung cancer. In two months time she went from being "curable" to having six months to a year to live. I'm in the process of signing her up for disability and am not really even sure where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • kelli1843

SSD
    Hi,
    My name is Kelly and my mother was recently diagnosed with Stage IIIb lung cancer. In two months time she went from being "curable" to having six months to a year to live. I'm in the process of signing her up for disability and am not really even sure where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly, see if your mom's
    Kelly, see if your mom's cancer center has a social worker. My does and she did my SSA dbl application on line in her office, with me.
  • kelli1843
    catcon49 said:

kelli
    If your retirement is anything like mine, They may pay you a lump sum for the rest of your accumulated sick and vacation days. I am federal. Upon retirement I would get paid for any vacation days I had left. They don't pay me for sick time. Check with your HR office they will be able to tell you.

c

My retirement is similar to
    My retirement is similar to teacher's retirement system. My work has let me used my accumulated sick/vac days this year since I've been out. They are completely separate from anything to do with retirement.

Under our retirement package, we can apply for disability retirement. It will be severely less than if waited another 5-12 years to get regular pension disabilty.

It's just hard to get an answer from them. Never get the same person when you call and have to constantly repeat the whole story about why I applied. But, just read today that NYS had over 7000 early retirements this year due to the new incentives for teacher's and support staff.

I'll just be patient. Like I said, I'm a worrier and get scared that I can't support myself on SSA.

Thanks everyone.