RECURRENT OF CERVICAL CANCER.....AND NOW BAD SIDE EFFECTS!

HI,
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CERVICAL CANCER IN 2007, HAD RADIATION AND CHEMO AND FOUGHT MY CANCER. SINCE AUG OF 2008 I WAS NO LONGER ABLE TO URINATE AT ALL. I EVENTUALLY HAD TO GET A CATHETER PUT IT. I WAS GOING TO THE DOCTOR LIKE EVERY OTHER WEEK TO GET A VOIDING TRIAL TO SEE IF I WAS ABLE TO GO AND NO LUCK. ALSO, HAD SEVERAL TEST DONE TO SEE WHY I WASN'T ABLE TO VOID AND 3 DOCTORS HAD NO ANSWERS FOR ME. OH THEY DID SAY THAT IT'S "PROBABLY" FROM THE RADIATION THAT I HAD IN 2007 AND IT SCARRED ME INSIDE. SO 8 MONTHS LATER I WAS TOLD THAT I HAD TO CATHETER MYSELF. ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON I HAD LEFT THE DOCTORS AND WENT HOME TO DO THIS AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN I WAS TINKELING. SO EVERY SINCE FEB. 2010 I CAN NOW URINATE. I DO GET UTI'S ALL THE TIME NONSTOP. I NOW ALSO LEAK TO WHERE I HAVE TO WEAR A PANTY LINER EVERYDAY SINCE FEB. I USED TO GET THE URGE TO PEE AND NOW I HAVE NO CONTROL. I HAVE HAD TWO ACCENDENTS TO WHERE I PEED IN MY PANTS.I ALSO CAN NO LONGER HAVE SEX SINCE MY VAGINA IS SOOOOOOOOO SORE AND TENDER FROM THE RADIATION. I WAS TOLD ABOUT THE DIALATERS NOT THAT LONG AGO AND I DON'T USE THEM AS MUCH AS I SHOULD. SO AFTER READING BLOGS I NOW SEE THAT MY BLADDER PROBLEM IS FROM THE RADIATION. I HAD NO CLUE THAT THIS WOULD OF HAPPENED. DOES ANYONE EVER HAD THE EFFECT TO THEM WITH THE BLADDER? WILL I EVER HAVE SEX AGAIN?
WELL, MY PELVIC/GROAN LYMPH NODES STARTED TO GET SWOLLEN AND I WAS SENT TO GET A PET SCAN AND THE RESULTS WERE GLOWING IN THE GROAN LYMPH NODES ONLY. DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT IT'S A RECURRENT OF MY CERVICAL CANCER. SO NOW I'M GOING FOR CHEMO (CISPLATIN/CARBOPLATIN) ANY BAD SIDE EFFECTS ANYONE? NOT DO I HAVE CANCER AGAIN BUT I HAVE A BLADDER PROBLEM. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO? I FEEL SO ALONE WITH THIS! I'M DOING MY TREATMENTS WITH CANCER TREATMENT CENTER OF AMERICA IN ILLINOIS...GREAT PLACE!

CHAR

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    cne,
    I'm sorry to hear your

cne,
    I'm sorry to hear your going through such a rough time right now. I know how frustrating it can be to have the docs tell you over and over again they don't know what's wrong and have no solutions. And now, after all this time, to have a recurrance that we all wait for and dread.
    It sounds like you are happy with your treatment team...at least that is one good thing amid all thats going on.
    I had horrid problems with my intestinal tract/bowels, that has taken the better part of two years to finally reach an acceptable level. No one had any answers...the effects of radiation. And recently, it has gone the other way. My problem was not moving the bowels, no matter what the docs tried. Suddenly, I've gone the opposite direction. All I can say is, at least it's working.
    My bladder has a mind of it's own too. They say it's also due to radiation and because the bladder wall is now very thick. It works, just not normally. What goes in, comes out very quickly, very little holding capacity, and if I try to ignore it...I get hit with very painful spasms.
    We are SURVIVORS! Get out there and kick some butt with those glow in the dark nodes!! I hope things get better for you. This new "normal" isn't always so much fun.
  • cne73d
    cne73d Member Posts: 3
    beckyracn said:

cne,
    I'm sorry to hear your

cne,
    I'm sorry to hear your going through such a rough time right now. I know how frustrating it can be to have the docs tell you over and over again they don't know what's wrong and have no solutions. And now, after all this time, to have a recurrance that we all wait for and dread.
    It sounds like you are happy with your treatment team...at least that is one good thing amid all thats going on.
    I had horrid problems with my intestinal tract/bowels, that has taken the better part of two years to finally reach an acceptable level. No one had any answers...the effects of radiation. And recently, it has gone the other way. My problem was not moving the bowels, no matter what the docs tried. Suddenly, I've gone the opposite direction. All I can say is, at least it's working.
    My bladder has a mind of it's own too. They say it's also due to radiation and because the bladder wall is now very thick. It works, just not normally. What goes in, comes out very quickly, very little holding capacity, and if I try to ignore it...I get hit with very painful spasms.
    We are SURVIVORS! Get out there and kick some butt with those glow in the dark nodes!! I hope things get better for you. This new "normal" isn't always so much fun.

Becky,
    Thank you for your

Becky,
    Thank you for your support becky! Yes, it is very very frustrating with my bladder now. I just hope that the bladder don't get worse in time. That is what really scares me, hoping that one day I wake up and I can't pee any more.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your problem too. I guess we are lucky in that sense that our bladders do work, well maybe not like how it should but enough to get by. :)
    YES WE ARE SURVIVORS!!!
    THANK YOU BECKY! ;)

Char
  • beckyracn
    cne73d said:

Becky,
    Thank you for your

Becky,
    Thank you for your support becky! Yes, it is very very frustrating with my bladder now. I just hope that the bladder don't get worse in time. That is what really scares me, hoping that one day I wake up and I can't pee any more.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your problem too. I guess we are lucky in that sense that our bladders do work, well maybe not like how it should but enough to get by. :)
    YES WE ARE SURVIVORS!!!
    THANK YOU BECKY! ;)

Char

Yes...we are SURVIVORS!!
    Yes...we are SURVIVORS!! Here's to working bladders! :)
  • oncebitten2shy
    oncebitten2shy Member Posts: 5
    Simular problems as you
    I had cervical cancer in 2001 and had Raditation & Chemo. About a year later I had problems peeing and mentioned it to my doctor she sent me to a Urlrogist who said I had some blockage due to scaring from the raditation. The doctor put a thin tube inside and expanded it to stretch out the blockage and the scaring (very painful)but no problems with peeing since except ocassional leekage usually when I have a cold and cough a lot or sneeze. But As of June I found out that I have recurrace of Cervical Cancer and I need to have a Radical Hysterectomy. Not looking forward to this. I am going to see the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion on Friday and will see what happens next.
    Sex has been different since the first Cancer but it still exists just have to be creative.
  • beckyracn

Simular problems as you
    I had cervical cancer in 2001 and had Raditation & Chemo. About a year later I had problems peeing and mentioned it to my doctor she sent me to a Urlrogist who said I had some blockage due to scaring from the raditation. The doctor put a thin tube inside and expanded it to stretch out the blockage and the scaring (very painful)but no problems with peeing since except ocassional leekage usually when I have a cold and cough a lot or sneeze. But As of June I found out that I have recurrace of Cervical Cancer and I need to have a Radical Hysterectomy. Not looking forward to this. I am going to see the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion on Friday and will see what happens next.
    Sex has been different since the first Cancer but it still exists just have to be creative.

I wish you boat loads of
    I wish you boat loads of luck with your upcoming adventure. I've heard the Cancer tx Center is a great place.
  • cne73d
    cne73d Member Posts: 3

Simular problems as you

Hi..
    HI,
    I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR BOUT IT COMING BACK! I GO TO CANCER TREATMENT CENTER OF AMERICA TOO IN ZION FOR CHEMO TREATMENTS. THEY ATE SOOO GREAT. SO HOW DID IT GO WHEN IT WENT AND WHO'S YOUR DOCTOR?? SO ARE YOU LOCAL AS WELL?

CHAR
  • beckyracn
    cne73d said:

Hi..
    HI,
    I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR BOUT IT COMING BACK! I GO TO CANCER TREATMENT CENTER OF AMERICA TOO IN ZION FOR CHEMO TREATMENTS. THEY ATE SOOO GREAT. SO HOW DID IT GO WHEN IT WENT AND WHO'S YOUR DOCTOR?? SO ARE YOU LOCAL AS WELL?

CHAR

Ladies...I hope this finds
    Ladies...I hope this finds both of you doing well at this time. Looks like the two of you have both found a tx center that you are comfortable with. Wouldn't it be great if you could hook up? KICK CANCER BUTT TEAL LADIES!