David still in hospice but hanging on

pf78248
pf78248 Member Posts: 209
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just an update on David since I haven't posted in quite awhile. And there are so many new ones on the board now. For background, my dear sweet wonderful husband David was dx 4-08 with stage 3 colon cancer. Eight months later a liver met was found and biopsied. After being told by three surgeons it was inoperable due to location, and after many months of chemo, we switched treatment to M. D. Anderson in Houston. After more chemo and portal vein embolization, he underwent liver resection March 24, 2010. Seventy five percent of his liver was removed and the main bile duct also had to be resected. He beat the cancer and remains cancer free. Unfortunately, he has had many complications from the surgery and is now in liver failure. Hospice has been good. He has a wonderful pretty nurse who makes his face light up when she comes.

Life is tough now but I am keeping it in. We are having wonderful quiet times together mixed with great visits from friends and family. David is at peace and in little pain.

Even stage fours can beat this cancer, so I don't want to discourage anyone. David would be fine, or at least able to fight the cancer if it returned, had it not been for the complications. Liver resection is still the gold standard for liver mets. So don't be afraid to go for it if you can. This board is so full of success stories after surgery.

We know our time is limited but I encourage everyone to at least discuss with their loved ones how they want their final days to be, and after life arrangements. David and I have shared so much in having these talks. It will give me peace knowing his wishes were met.

Best of love and luck to everyone. We are all in this together.

Hugs and Healing,
Priscilla

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Priscilla -

I hate to toss my two centavos into this, but even with David
    in hospice, have you considered consulting with a doctor
    of Traditional Chinese Medicine? Even a qualified herbalist
    can work wonders for boosting the immune system!

The liver can regenerate itself, but only if the body can supply
    it with what it needs. All medications are toxic, and the liver
    is the one organ responsible for cleaning the toxins out of the
    blood. The liver gets overloaded when it's a complete organ,
    so I guess you can appreciate how overworked it must be
    when 70% of it's been removed.

That situation can be overcome with a good diet and some help
    from other than "conventional" medications.

It's only a suggestion from me, but I really think it would be
    to your advantage to consult TCM doc, or a good herbalist
    and see what they might be able to offer.

Getting that liver back into shape can take less time when
    the body has what it needs to do the job!

(If he was at home, I'd suggest "juicing" as well.. but a bit difficult
    to do away from home)

Wishing you both the best!

John
  • 462lt
    462lt Member Posts: 117
    Thanks
    Thanks for your wonderful words of encourgement. I am soooo sorry that thing worked out for your husband not as expected but may you rejoice in each others company and the company of your friends and family for as long as it lasts which I wish you and yours is a very long time. Laura
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Priscilla
    I have been wondering how you + David are doing. I have missed seeing your beautiful picture + was so happy to see it today. I am glad you are having some wonderful times with family + friends. Thanks for your unselfish encouragement for everyone here. I am sending you lots of warm thoughts. Take good care.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Priscilla:
    May you both find peace and comfort during this most difficult time.

Love to you both - Tina and George
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    You are such an inspiration
    You are such an inspiration and thank you for posting. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Sheri
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Priscilla and David
    My thoughts and prayers are with you both, I am so sorry things are going badly for David, I am glad to hear that you two are having some very precious moments. Take care of each other.

Love and Hugs
    Beth
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Priscilla and David
    Priscilla,

I keep both you and David in my prayers. I pray that you have continued strength and courage as you care for your beloved and I pray that he continues to be painfree and enjoying this quiet time you are sharing. I am also praying that his liver can recover and that he will be back to his full health.

Amy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    So sorry
    Priscilla,

I'm praying for you and David. The quiet time together sounds like such a blessing! I do hope that there will be a miracle for you and David...

Thank you for your wonderfully encouraging post, despite your heartache.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • pf78248
    John23 said:

Priscilla -

I hate to toss my two centavos into this, but even with David
    in hospice, have you considered consulting with a doctor
    of Traditional Chinese Medicine? Even a qualified herbalist
    can work wonders for boosting the immune system!

The liver can regenerate itself, but only if the body can supply
    it with what it needs. All medications are toxic, and the liver
    is the one organ responsible for cleaning the toxins out of the
    blood. The liver gets overloaded when it's a complete organ,
    so I guess you can appreciate how overworked it must be
    when 70% of it's been removed.

That situation can be overcome with a good diet and some help
    from other than "conventional" medications.

It's only a suggestion from me, but I really think it would be
    to your advantage to consult TCM doc, or a good herbalist
    and see what they might be able to offer.

Getting that liver back into shape can take less time when
    the body has what it needs to do the job!

(If he was at home, I'd suggest "juicing" as well.. but a bit difficult
    to do away from home)

Wishing you both the best!

John

Thanks, John, for your support and ideas
    You are so gracious and caring and I appreciate all your advice. Unfortunately, the problem with his liver is really mechanical. The remaining bile duct is simply clogged, like an artery does. Usually a stent can fix that but they tried and it didn't work. I was told there was nothing that could be done except a transplant which he isn't eligible for. I have done a lot of research and talked to several doctors and every opinion is the same. He is in hospice care but at home with me. I would never put him in a facility.

After we came home on hospice, I discussed your suggestion then to seek out alternatives. He was firmly against it. So thanks again,John. I think you have great ideas and we need you on this board. So don't get discouraged when others don't always agree. Each case is so different and whatever you are doing has been so good for you

Thanks for caring,
    Priscilla
  • pf78248
    462lt said:

Thanks
    Thanks for your wonderful words of encourgement. I am soooo sorry that thing worked out for your husband not as expected but may you rejoice in each others company and the company of your friends and family for as long as it lasts which I wish you and yours is a very long time. Laura

Thank you!
    Laura,

This is a great group and you fit right in! Thanks for caring,
    Priscilla
  • pf78248
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Oh, Kathy
    Thanks for your kindness! You are an inspiration, too.
    Priscilla
  • pf78248
    Thanks, Everyone!
    You all made my day! We have the best group ever on this board! I am running out of time and wanted to thank everyone personally but I can't. So a big hug to all. You are all THE BEST!

Priscilla
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Dear Priscillia
    Dear Priscillia,

You are a woman of grace. To read how you and David are going through this very difficult time with so much love and warmth for each other shows so much about the two of you. I will continue to pray that you have beautiful time together.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member

Dear Priscillia
    Dear Priscillia,

You are a woman of grace. To read how you and David are going through this very difficult time with so much love and warmth for each other shows so much about the two of you. I will continue to pray that you have beautiful time together.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

Oh Priscillia,
    my heart goes out to you and David. I adrime the love and respect you have for each other. It truly is beautiful. I'll have the both of you in my thoughts and prayers -Melissa
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Thank you for your updated
    Keeping you both in my prayers.

Hugs
  • ktlcs
    ktlcs Member Posts: 358
    Sonia32 said:

Thank you for your updated
    Keeping you both in my prayers.

Hugs

Priscilla
    My heart goes out to the both you. Cherish this time you have together

Kathy
  • jscho
    jscho Member Posts: 62
    pf78248 said:

Thanks, John, for your support and ideas
    You are so gracious and caring and I appreciate all your advice. Unfortunately, the problem with his liver is really mechanical. The remaining bile duct is simply clogged, like an artery does. Usually a stent can fix that but they tried and it didn't work. I was told there was nothing that could be done except a transplant which he isn't eligible for. I have done a lot of research and talked to several doctors and every opinion is the same. He is in hospice care but at home with me. I would never put him in a facility.

After we came home on hospice, I discussed your suggestion then to seek out alternatives. He was firmly against it. So thanks again,John. I think you have great ideas and we need you on this board. So don't get discouraged when others don't always agree. Each case is so different and whatever you are doing has been so good for you

Thanks for caring,
    Priscilla

ursodiol
    Hi Priscilla, one thing you may want to ask about is the possibility of off-label use of ursodiol (ursodeoxycholic acid), which is a bile acid used to increase the fluidity of bile to help it flow through constrictions. It does so by inhibiting an enzyme involved in cholesterol production. It also seems to activate liver cells by binding to a specific cell receptor in liver cells to release bicarbonate, which can help with the build-up of toxic bile acids.

For info on urso, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursodiol

Hope this is useful,
    Jeremy
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    ktlcs said:

Priscilla
    My heart goes out to the both you. Cherish this time you have together

Kathy

let's go to figth Priscilla!
    l was 4 days of severe liver failure ( Inc high level of encepalopathy) after my resection, 75% too, and here l am. Let,s figth together!
    Vibes&prayers!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Priscilla
    Hi Priscilla,

For you to still be so encouraging to others in the face of your own hearache with David's condition is amazing to me. I am praying for you and David right now.

Hugs,
    Lisa