Lung metastasis

kristasplace
kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well now there's spread to the lung. I have to get it CT'ed on Monday so they can get a better look at it, and figure out what to do about it. Surgery is a given, but the onc doesn't know what kind. He's taking it to the tumor board the day after the CT. I told him i don't want any more surgery...damn i'm sick of surgeries. I think i'd rather do chemo, but my onc says they no longer treat tumors with chemo until surgery has been done first. Whatever.

I feel like all the hard work i've been doing; changing my diet, drinking nasty pom juice, supplementing, has all been for naught. I'm telling myself that i just haven't been doing it long enough, and i need to give it more time, and be even more rigid with myself. There are days i don't drink the pom juice, and sometimes i forget my supplements. I need to do better. I feel i may not have the time i need. Four months ago, at my last PET scan, there was nothing on the lung. Now it's lit up like a Christmas tree. I said i wouldn't do chemo unless a tumor formed, but even though one has, i still don't want to do chemo. I feel fine, and healthy. By looking at me, you'd never know i have stage IV colorectal cancer. I feel better than i have in five years! If i start doing chemo, all of that will change. I'm very confused as to what to do. Any suggestions?

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Opinion?

I'd do the surgery and see what happens. They've made great advances
    in surgical technique, and with the proficiency now, I'd opt for surgery
    regardless....

But you'd want to make sure you have the best surgeon for the job;
    one with plenty of lung experience.

Stay calm, and allow your instincts to point you to the best route.

You're gonna' do fine!

John
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    John23 said:

Opinion?

I'd do the surgery and see what happens. They've made great advances
    in surgical technique, and with the proficiency now, I'd opt for surgery
    regardless....

But you'd want to make sure you have the best surgeon for the job;
    one with plenty of lung experience.

Stay calm, and allow your instincts to point you to the best route.

You're gonna' do fine!

John

OK, who are you?
    Where's John!!!!
    Just busting you John, surgery's one thing, chemo's another...
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Lung Mets
    Hi Krista,
    I've been dealing with lung mets for over 4 years by now. I've had a three wedge resections and I've also had RFA done. The RFA was a walk in the park, the lung operations were not horrible but they were not a lot of fun either. Moat of those that I've had were highly successful, stuff grew in other areas. Now we are just doing RFAs due to scar tissue issues. IF they do lung surgery, ask about "muscle sparing technique". That is a bit easier on the muscles but it is a little harder for the doctor. they shouldn't give you a hard time about it, if they really balk then maybe he (if she) is not your surgeon...
    -phil
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry
    Sorry about your news. Hope that whatever decision that you make, it is the right one for you and that you are comfortable with it. Maybe your oncologist can give you some options that will help your decision. Keep us informed when you get a chance.

Kim
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member

Sorry
    Sorry about your news. Hope that whatever decision that you make, it is the right one for you and that you are comfortable with it. Maybe your oncologist can give you some options that will help your decision. Keep us informed when you get a chance.

Kim

Hey Krista
    I too have been battling lung mets since the beginning. I originally had 15 mets scattered throughout both lungs. Chemo killed them all...AND 4 in the liver. I was NED 7 months (on vacation I prefer to think of it as) and then was hit with recurrance (5 mets but only 2 lit up)... went back on chemo... just 2 rounds... took out 4 of them suckers.... this Tuesday I am having the biggest and oldest tumor cyberknifed (this tumor we THOUGHT was dead from the first chemo...NOT..fooled us!) so this time I ain't waiting on chemo cause this one is stubborn..... IT just don't realize (YET) than I am a bigger beotch!!!! I hate chemo too but it HAS been successful.... BUT.... not totally....otherwise the crap would not be back. I am finding the cost (not dollar wise) of chemo is just not for me and have decided when I go on vacation this time...... I will find ALTERNATIVES....... why not??? If the crap comes back.... I will figure that out then.... You let us know what happens and take care!

Jennie
  • Hey Krista
    I too have been battling lung mets since the beginning. I originally had 15 mets scattered throughout both lungs. Chemo killed them all...AND 4 in the liver. I was NED 7 months (on vacation I prefer to think of it as) and then was hit with recurrance (5 mets but only 2 lit up)... went back on chemo... just 2 rounds... took out 4 of them suckers.... this Tuesday I am having the biggest and oldest tumor cyberknifed (this tumor we THOUGHT was dead from the first chemo...NOT..fooled us!) so this time I ain't waiting on chemo cause this one is stubborn..... IT just don't realize (YET) than I am a bigger beotch!!!! I hate chemo too but it HAS been successful.... BUT.... not totally....otherwise the crap would not be back. I am finding the cost (not dollar wise) of chemo is just not for me and have decided when I go on vacation this time...... I will find ALTERNATIVES....... why not??? If the crap comes back.... I will figure that out then.... You let us know what happens and take care!

Jennie

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • serrana
    serrana Member Posts: 163 Member
    lung mets
    Hi Krista
    Do I recall you are at Moores?
    I've had 3 lung met surgeries and prefer surgery to chemo anyday....
    Not fun but considering the whole body effects ....my preference
    If you are at Moores get an appt w/ the cardiothoracic surgeon Anthony Perricone, MD
    and tell him "Judy" sent you.....he did all my surgeries and has lots of experience w/ lung mets vs. chemo etc.
    I am 6 weeks post the third lung surgery and feel fabulous, NED right now
    All the best
    Serrana
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Nothing practical to offer.
    Nothing practical to offer. Just holding you in the Light for strength to make the decision that's right for you, and for healing.
    And don't beat yourself up for not doing "enough." You've done great and know that you are healthier today from taking care of yourself, and in better shape to battle this beast.
    ~Audrey
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Sorry,Krista
    I don't have the experience to give you any good advice. Just praying you find the right choice for YOU.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Hey Kathy!
    I had the exact same thing the second time around..... Folfiri with Avastin... Take care

Jennie
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Krista:
    Bummer. You did everything you could and was right for you to prevent this so please, don't second guess yourself. I'm learning this disease has a mind of its own. Listen to what your docs say then make an informed decision doing what is best for you. George has lung mets and after Folfox is now on maintenance chemo which seems to continue to do its job. Will his mets ever be gone, who knows, many of them are gone and the rest are significantly smaller. He has never had surgery or radiation for them combined with the liver mess he just wasn't a candidate but who knows.

Take care and come back and let us know what you decide.

Tina
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Sorry Krista
    Hi Krista,

I am sorry for the lung met. You are fighting hard + deserve a break. Please let us know what you decide after the CT. Take good care!
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Shoot
    I am so ticked that you got this news. I just hate hate hate cancer. I don't have any opinion as to what path you should follow but I am thinking of you and I pray that you find the way that is best for you.

Amy
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    You'll get through this!
    Krista,

I'm so sorry to hear the news but I know you will make the right decision for you and you will get through this. You are in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Sara
  • pf78248
    pf78248 Member Posts: 209
    Oh, Krista, I hate this news
    Krista,

I can't give advice to you because I have no clue what to do, but I know whatever course you choose will be the right one. And be grateful you are doing so well, aside from the lung mets, as it has to make your recovery better because of how otherwise well you are doing!

Whatever it is, know that we are here to support you and send you best wishes and prayers for success.

Hugs and Healing,
    Priscilla
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Hey Krista
    I'm so sorry for your latest setback :-( Whatever you decide we are behind you all the way.

Hugs
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Krista...
    I'm so sorry about this setback. I don't have any experience with mets, but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Love and Hugs,

Holly
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    HollyID said:

Krista...
    I'm so sorry about this setback. I don't have any experience with mets, but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Love and Hugs,

Holly

Krista
    this stuff just never ends, i wish you strength in what ever you decide to do. take care

hugs

michelle
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    hugs
    Hi Krista,

Hugs and prayers to you- I can imagine how disappointed you are that the lungs are "lighting up like a Christmas tree". I don't know what to tell you about taking chemo or not. I know how lousy it is and how determined you are to not take it. I'd do the surgery first and then evaluate. My first thought is that the chemo could give it the one-two punch that it needs to get knocked back again. I just would hate for it to take off growing in you and get to the out of control point- please entertain thoughts of doing the chemo again. Sorry- that's just my gut instinct.

Praying for you right now-
    Lisa