My journey....starting with a swollen right groin lymph node.

AaronW
AaronW Member Posts: 45
I ghosted these boards for a bit and see there are alot of caring and experienced survivors here. Even though I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself I decided to post now.

About a month ago I noticed a "bump" in the area of my right groin. I wear alot of equipment at work so thought it was possibly a hernia. It seemed to subside some when I was off of work for a few days.

After about a week and a half, I became more concerned. I just turned 40 in June and am very healthy. Fortunately, I've been fairly religious about my yearly physical which work pays for and set this year's appointment up early. So,on August 5th I had my physical. My doctor said it could be a hernia but more than likely was a swollen lymph node.

A few days later, I went in for an ultra-sound. When the lady performing it said, "I'll be right back..." I had a feeling something was wrong. Sure enough, another technician came in with her. Shortly thereafter, I had a CT scan. I never had one before and consider that quite unpleasant - more so because I was not mentally prepared for that.

At any rate, my doctor called me at home later and was pretty straightforward with me. Basically, he explained that I had a cluster of nodes in the region of my right groin that were swollen and "some more" in areas nearby. He explained that I need to have a biopsy done.

On August 18th I had the outpatient surgery. They ended up making about a 3 to 4 inch incision and removed "some" lymph nodes. The general surgeon won't give me any indication one way or another, however, more and more I'm prepared for the worst.

For those experienced in this, you would know that I just gave a quick version of an already long story. The initial shock of "Lymphoma" and everything surrounding it has subsided and now I'm ready to tackle whatever comes my way. I'm hoping I hear something today, though they said it will probably be Monday. I feel like each day that goes by is wasting time for treatment.

I am encouraged by what I read on these forums and regardless of my soon to be learned diagnoses...I wish you all the best. Stay strong and help each other because that is good mental medicine.

Aaron

Comments

• COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    SWOLLEN NODES
    Aaron,
    Hang in there man. This disease hits at least 66,000 people a year. That is diagnosed people not undiagnosed people. Right now we don't know if thats what you have or not. I am no dr., but.......? I was diagnosed in April of this year with nhl. I was on the watch and wait thing like so many others on here. In June I had a bone biopsy and it was in the bone. It does not make any difference from what they tell me. It is treated the same. It is very treatable. There are so many different types of Lymphoma so if thats what you have it will have to be classified. It is all treatable though. I do know what you are going thru. Sort of like a duck on the pond,cool and calm above water ,but paddling like hell underneath. We all been thru it on here. It is normal,believe me. Just a little advice; stay off those web sites with all the statistics. They will drive you crazy. They are good for statistics, even though some are way outdated,but we are all different in the way we respond to any treatment. You can see that by the post on this site. I guess I am putting the cart before the horse as well, but I just want to prepare you IF and I mean IF thats what your diagnosis should turn out to be. JOHN
  • AaronW
    COBRA666 said:

SWOLLEN NODES
    Aaron,
    Hang in there man. This disease hits at least 66,000 people a year. That is diagnosed people not undiagnosed people. Right now we don't know if thats what you have or not. I am no dr., but.......? I was diagnosed in April of this year with nhl. I was on the watch and wait thing like so many others on here. In June I had a bone biopsy and it was in the bone. It does not make any difference from what they tell me. It is treated the same. It is very treatable. There are so many different types of Lymphoma so if thats what you have it will have to be classified. It is all treatable though. I do know what you are going thru. Sort of like a duck on the pond,cool and calm above water ,but paddling like hell underneath. We all been thru it on here. It is normal,believe me. Just a little advice; stay off those web sites with all the statistics. They will drive you crazy. They are good for statistics, even though some are way outdated,but we are all different in the way we respond to any treatment. You can see that by the post on this site. I guess I am putting the cart before the horse as well, but I just want to prepare you IF and I mean IF thats what your diagnosis should turn out to be. JOHN

Hey John, you hit the nail
    Hey John, you hit the nail on the head with the duck analogy! I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the reply and I really appreciate your input and advice - which is well taken.

I'd be golfing this weekend but the incision site is probably going to prevent menfrom doing that. My computer golf will have to work for now to keep my mind occupied the next few days! :)
  • COBRA666
    AaronW said:

Hey John, you hit the nail
    Hey John, you hit the nail on the head with the duck analogy! I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the reply and I really appreciate your input and advice - which is well taken.

I'd be golfing this weekend but the incision site is probably going to prevent menfrom doing that. My computer golf will have to work for now to keep my mind occupied the next few days! :)

THE POND AND THE DUCK
    I know because thats the way I felt as so many others do. That man macho stuff kinda of melts away doesn't it? hahahaha. At least it did with me. Anyway like I was saying we got to wait and see how all turns out. In the meantime you will worry no matter what anybody says. If you didn't, then you wouldn't be human. What part of the country do you live in. I am in North Carolina and it is hot,hot ,hot. We got people from all over the country and some from across the ocean on here and they are all great people and they will stick with you and guide you. They really helped me a lot. John
  • AaronW
    COBRA666 said:

THE POND AND THE DUCK
    I know because thats the way I felt as so many others do. That man macho stuff kinda of melts away doesn't it? hahahaha. At least it did with me. Anyway like I was saying we got to wait and see how all turns out. In the meantime you will worry no matter what anybody says. If you didn't, then you wouldn't be human. What part of the country do you live in. I am in North Carolina and it is hot,hot ,hot. We got people from all over the country and some from across the ocean on here and they are all great people and they will stick with you and guide you. They really helped me a lot. John

Monterey area (California)
    People have definitely seen another side of me they haven't seen before - at least from an emotional standpoint. I'm in the Monterey, California area.
  • GalacDad
    GalacDad Member Posts: 40
    AaronW said:

People have definitely seen another side of me they haven't seen before - at least from an emotional standpoint. I'm in the Monterey, California area.

The journey starts
    Aaron,
    Sorry to hear about the news, glad to hear they have already done a full node biopsy. Not to make light of the situation, but 'Welcome to the Club'. That's how we all greeted each other at my treatment center.
    Back to the biopsy. Once they get through Pathology, that's when they will be able to give you a difinetive answer. Until then we play the wait and worry game. Once they are finished with the biopsy and ct/pet they can stage it. My hopes are that it has been discovered early and only at 1 or 2.
    The Oncology teams will probably want to attack it as fast as they can. The faster the battle starts the faster to recovery. You will get a lot of info thrown at you and with the emotional/ life change it can get rough. Honestly though, the spirit and will power are tougher and YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THIS. There is a lot of experience and info with everyone here, keep us informed of wehat is going on.
    Dave
  • AaronW
    GalacDad said:

The journey starts
    Aaron,
    Sorry to hear about the news, glad to hear they have already done a full node biopsy. Not to make light of the situation, but 'Welcome to the Club'. That's how we all greeted each other at my treatment center.
    Back to the biopsy. Once they get through Pathology, that's when they will be able to give you a difinetive answer. Until then we play the wait and worry game. Once they are finished with the biopsy and ct/pet they can stage it. My hopes are that it has been discovered early and only at 1 or 2.
    The Oncology teams will probably want to attack it as fast as they can. The faster the battle starts the faster to recovery. You will get a lot of info thrown at you and with the emotional/ life change it can get rough. Honestly though, the spirit and will power are tougher and YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THIS. There is a lot of experience and info with everyone here, keep us informed of wehat is going on.
    Dave

Stage
    Thank you Dave, I have the same hopes on the staging. I appreciate your reply.
  • COBRA666
    AaronW said:

emotions
    Don't let it really worry you about your emotions. We are all human beings and stuff like this can really get to you. Its all new to us when we face stuff that is unknown. Its different if you happen to be walking down a dark road at night because when you get to the end and see some light you feel pretty good. Lymphoma, if thats what we are dealing with is different in that it is inside of us. You can't walk away from it. You can walk all week and it will still be there. Its hard at first to take in that it is treatable. Again I am putting the cart before the horse. I am just trying to compare to what it feels like and how the mind races. I can tell you that you will really be on pins and needles the closer you get to seeing the dr. for a diagnosis. You already know that though. That is how I felt anyway. I really feel for the ones that have cancers that are not treatable. I never really paid much attention to it because it was something that that always happened to the other guy. Then boom, I was the other guy. It really gets your attention. Believe it or not there is a cancer for every part of the body from head to toe. There is a dicussion board that I use to get on this site and I could not believe the different types there are. They are listed in alphabetical order and there has to be thousands of people on there. They are just the ones that know these sites even exist. You are not alone in this battle so stick with us if you are diagnosed with lymphoma. We will all be here for you.I am sure you will be getting some more responses shortly. John
  • merrywinner
    merrywinner Member Posts: 626 Member
    Welcome Aaron!
    Sounds like you have already been through some really difficult parts of this journey. Now the waiting for diagnosis,staging and treatment. No matter what the stage or type they are all treatable. Sometimes the more aggressive types are easier to treat. I wish you the very best and keep us posted. Mary
  • merrywinner

Welcome Aaron!
    Sounds like you have already been through some really difficult parts of this journey. Now the waiting for diagnosis,staging and treatment. No matter what the stage or type they are all treatable. Sometimes the more aggressive types are easier to treat. I wish you the very best and keep us posted. Mary

Forgot
    You probably already know but the stage is not as important with Lymphoma as with other cancers. Your grade is.....but still all treatable.
  • AaronW

Forgot
    You probably already know but the stage is not as important with Lymphoma as with other cancers. Your grade is.....but still all treatable.

Grade
    No I didn't know that Mary...thank you for pointing that out. John wrote something earlier about websites and what-not, a few days ago I stopped reading about this type of cancer because I became too focused on the unknown still. I decided the morning of my biopsy to stop the research for now because I have a general idea on the basics and will go from there when I have more information.

Funny, it took me awhile to post and I'm glad I did. Just writing about it makes me feel better and not as alone, though I wish there wasn't a need for these type of blogs in the first place but that, unfortunately, is not the case.

I didn't expect so many responses. Thank you all so much. And John, again you make so much sense when you talk about much worse types of cancer so hopefully this is the only type I have (in comparison to the many others - sounds ironic to say that though).

I just found out the surgeons office did not get my lab results today (Now 5pm west coast time) so I plan on doing something fun with my family this weekend. :) Waiting to wait...LOL
  • merrywinner
    AaronW said:

Grade
    No I didn't know that Mary...thank you for pointing that out. John wrote something earlier about websites and what-not, a few days ago I stopped reading about this type of cancer because I became too focused on the unknown still. I decided the morning of my biopsy to stop the research for now because I have a general idea on the basics and will go from there when I have more information.

Funny, it took me awhile to post and I'm glad I did. Just writing about it makes me feel better and not as alone, though I wish there wasn't a need for these type of blogs in the first place but that, unfortunately, is not the case.

I didn't expect so many responses. Thank you all so much. And John, again you make so much sense when you talk about much worse types of cancer so hopefully this is the only type I have (in comparison to the many others - sounds ironic to say that though).

I just found out the surgeons office did not get my lab results today (Now 5pm west coast time) so I plan on doing something fun with my family this weekend. :) Waiting to wait...LOL

Good idea
    Good idea to stop the research until you know exactly what you are dealing with. Information overload can be exhausting. Enjoy your weekend with your family. If and when you need us we are here. Rest the mind. Mary
  • COBRA666

Good idea
    Good idea to stop the research until you know exactly what you are dealing with. Information overload can be exhausting. Enjoy your weekend with your family. If and when you need us we are here. Rest the mind. Mary

HERE TO HELP
    Aaron,
    See what I mean about the people on this site are here for you. These are some great people that are like asecond family. We all been or are going thru this. Its scary thats for sure but keep in mind it is treatable if thats what it turns out to be. Now go have fun with the family. Try to relax your mind, as difficult as that may be. Just like all the rest of the people on here I'll keep you in my thoughts because I do know what you are going thru. Let us know how it all goes. John
  • GalacDad
    GalacDad Member Posts: 40
    AaronW said:

Grade

Family
    Aaron,
    That's the attitude! Doc's did'nt get back to you. Make the most out of the weekend! Time with family and friends is the way to spend time. Have a GREAT weekend.
    Dave
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    GalacDad said:

Family
    Aaron,
    That's the attitude! Doc's did'nt get back to you. Make the most out of the weekend! Time with family and friends is the way to spend time. Have a GREAT weekend.
    Dave

Family or friends!
    Hi Aaron,
    Tomorrow 5 of my closest friends are giving me a house cleaning party. All I have to do is fix lunch for them all. Next Thursday I will start my first round of treatments so all of my friends wanted to spiffy the house up for me. They knew I was worried about feeling tired after treatment so this is their way of helping me not to worry. I'm sending my hubby off and plan to enjoy every minute with the gals. The waiting and worry is going to happen, but we can minimize it by doing other things to distract our thinking. Please keep us posted and try not to worry too much. Easier said than done...all of us here know how that goes! I'll be thinking good positive thoughts for you.
    Sue...
    (Washington State)
  • merrywinner
    allmost60 said:

Family or friends!
    Hi Aaron,
    Tomorrow 5 of my closest friends are giving me a house cleaning party. All I have to do is fix lunch for them all. Next Thursday I will start my first round of treatments so all of my friends wanted to spiffy the house up for me. They knew I was worried about feeling tired after treatment so this is their way of helping me not to worry. I'm sending my hubby off and plan to enjoy every minute with the gals. The waiting and worry is going to happen, but we can minimize it by doing other things to distract our thinking. Please keep us posted and try not to worry too much. Easier said than done...all of us here know how that goes! I'll be thinking good positive thoughts for you.
    Sue...
    (Washington State)

Sue
    What good friends you have and how good that must make you feel. It should be a lot of fun and you end up with a clean house to boot. I wish you all the best on Thursday. It will probably be much better then you think. It is not easy but with a good attitude it can be done. You have gathered a lot of knowledge for yourself and that will serve you well. God bless. Mary
  • AaronW
    allmost60 said:

Family or friends!
    Hi Aaron,
    Sue...
    (Washington State)

Thank you
    Thank you everyone for the support and kind words....

Sue, have a great weekend and I wish you the best when you start your treatment.
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    allmost60 said:

Family or friends!
    Hi Aaron,
    Sue...
    (Washington State)

Cleaning Party
    Sue, You've sure got some great friends! How thoughtful of them. Kellie
  • AaronW
    COBRA666 said:

HERE TO HELP
    Aaron,
    See what I mean about the people on this site are here for you. These are some great people that are like asecond family. We all been or are going thru this. Its scary thats for sure but keep in mind it is treatable if thats what it turns out to be. Now go have fun with the family. Try to relax your mind, as difficult as that may be. Just like all the rest of the people on here I'll keep you in my thoughts because I do know what you are going thru. Let us know how it all goes. John

Diagnosis
    Well, the general surgeon's office called me early this morning and asked me to come in. I knew that wasn't good because they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone. About a half and hour later I was given the news, NHL possibly early stages. I have two clusters of swollen nodes - one in right groin area and the other somewhere nearby in the abdomen.

He referred me to a Stanford Oncology group but I couldn't get an appt. until Friday morning. I'm not sure, but I imagine I'll need to get a blood panel, bone marrow check and a full-body scan. Any input is appreciated because the surgeon was not sure exactly what will be done though he just mentioned these things, that's why I have to go to the Oncologists.

I expected this so I had a few weeks to be strong but it's still tough. I thought NHL was the "better" one but after doing some reading when I got home it seems that the survival cure rate is a little less overall than regular Hodgkins. Any input would be appreciated...thank you.

Aaron
  • COBRA666
    AaronW said:

Diagnosis
    Well, the general surgeon's office called me early this morning and asked me to come in. I knew that wasn't good because they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone. About a half and hour later I was given the news, NHL possibly early stages. I have two clusters of swollen nodes - one in right groin area and the other somewhere nearby in the abdomen.

He referred me to a Stanford Oncology group but I couldn't get an appt. until Friday morning. I'm not sure, but I imagine I'll need to get a blood panel, bone marrow check and a full-body scan. Any input is appreciated because the surgeon was not sure exactly what will be done though he just mentioned these things, that's why I have to go to the Oncologists.

I expected this so I had a few weeks to be strong but it's still tough. I thought NHL was the "better" one but after doing some reading when I got home it seems that the survival cure rate is a little less overall than regular Hodgkins. Any input would be appreciated...thank you.

Aaron

nhl vs hl
    Aaron,
    I researched the heck out of the difference myself when I was first diagnosed with NHL and it confused the heck out of me at first and to an extent it still does. I think I know the difference but not 100% sure. One vs the other has good sides and bad sides with each. I am going to let the more experienced ones on here answer these questions. All I can say is do not read to much into those web sites. They can confuse you and scare you needlessly at the same time.I am not saying what we have is not serious because it diffinitely is. Those web sites are good for stats and such. Some are outdated as well. I know of a few people on here that can answer the questions for both of us.They know what they are talking about. They will get back to us I am sure, they always have. Just keep watching and I will too. John
  • AaronW
    COBRA666 said:

nhl vs hl
    Aaron,
    I researched the heck out of the difference myself when I was first diagnosed with NHL and it confused the heck out of me at first and to an extent it still does. I think I know the difference but not 100% sure. One vs the other has good sides and bad sides with each. I am going to let the more experienced ones on here answer these questions. All I can say is do not read to much into those web sites. They can confuse you and scare you needlessly at the same time.I am not saying what we have is not serious because it diffinitely is. Those web sites are good for stats and such. Some are outdated as well. I know of a few people on here that can answer the questions for both of us.They know what they are talking about. They will get back to us I am sure, they always have. Just keep watching and I will too. John

Okay I'm not the only one then...LOL...

Since I basically have what you have, how are you doing with what you are going through if you don't mind me asking?