"cured" prostate cancer and now secondary bone cancer - what do we have to expect?

Options
RT
RT Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hello,

my father is 80 years old and had 6 years ago prostate cancer. He was operated and had no issues for the last 5 years. About a year ago during the routine checks the medical team observed a fast increase of his PSA values. After further exams he was diagnosed with secondary bone cancer. He started a chemo which he had to stop due to some other medical complications. Recently they tried a samarium 153 treatment (pain relief) with limited success. He is in hospital since we can not manage his pain attacks at home. We are not sure what to expect. We do not have the expectation that he can be cured but we hope and wish that his pain can be managed so that there is some quality of life.

Each patient is different but is there somebody who can guide us to info about what we can or may have to expect?

Appreciate any help in that matter and we thank you in advance

best regards

Rainer

Comments

• mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    so sorry
    Rainer,
    So sorry to read of your father's set back with PCa, bone mets pain, and hospitalization. I'm sure this must be a tough time for you and your family. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about T4+ advanced stage PCa to give the type of advice you seek, but hopefully there might be a few who post here that could offer you medical options. Some general suggestions that come to mind...if your father doesn't already have a dedicated Oncologist on this med team, it might be a good idea to request one, especially one with experience in Prostate Cancer. In some cases I've read that radiation treatment can be somewhat effective in palliative treatment of bone mets and possibly treating the accompanying pain. Once the pain has been brought under control, you might ask your doctors whether ADT (Androgen Deprivation Therapy, aka hormone therapy) might be an option, but be sure to read up on the possible side effects. Ask about Provenge, a newer FDA approved drug for advanced PCa. It's all about quality of life vs quantity and what your dad wants. Be sure your father has a signed & notarized Durable Power of Attorney for Heathcare which gives you or another family member the ability to make medical decisions for him if he is unable to do so himself. This also will give you the ability to speak directly with his doctors about his condition and obtain his medical records/reports, if needed. Lastly, as the care manager for my 93 year old mother, ask your doctor if palliative/hospice care at home might be a better option for your dad than hospitalization (medicare will cover hospice care & drugs). Hope this helps. Stay strong. Good luck.
    Best,
    mrs pjd