3 weeks remission, now 3 days on hospice....

hope0310
hope0310 Member Posts: 320
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My mom, my best friend/mentor/hero....

WOW...what a rollercoater, yes the timeline above is correct! Small cell w/mets to brain March 1st, met to spine March 31st, rad to both locations then chemo.

Remission declared 7/12, released to inpatient Pt towork on stength due to being too weak to walk (test upon tests ran, no medical reason found)

Last Thursday, new cancer in brain...no treatment available since she already had WBR, brough mom home Monday under hospice care...

Still alert, talking, eating, drinking, pain free..

Comments

• cher8871
    cher8871 Member Posts: 64
    wow
    so sorry for this change!!! my dad is going through almost the exact same thing. he was in the hospital last week and was delusional and having hallucinations and they told me he was "confused" because he was in the hospital...called it 'sundowner's syndrome'...i say that's a load of bs! i live with him and see a daily progression of his symptoms....he has NSCLC Adenocarcinoma w/mets to brain. had surgery 4/21 to remove the biggest tumor in the brain (in the cerebellum). had him on decadron....they blamed EVERYTHING on that...the shaking, the balance and vision issues. however, when they tried to wean him off of it, it all got WORSE. then they said the problems were from NOT taking the steroids! he had 13 rounds of radiation to the brain. like your mom, my dad is EXTREMELY weak, cannot be left alone for fear that he will fall. he says he sees two of everything. i am just terribly fed up with the docs.....sadly it seems it's all about the money to them. he is also talking, eating, drinking and pain free!

thanks for letting me vent!
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    cher8871 said:

wow
    so sorry for this change!!! my dad is going through almost the exact same thing. he was in the hospital last week and was delusional and having hallucinations and they told me he was "confused" because he was in the hospital...called it 'sundowner's syndrome'...i say that's a load of bs! i live with him and see a daily progression of his symptoms....he has NSCLC Adenocarcinoma w/mets to brain. had surgery 4/21 to remove the biggest tumor in the brain (in the cerebellum). had him on decadron....they blamed EVERYTHING on that...the shaking, the balance and vision issues. however, when they tried to wean him off of it, it all got WORSE. then they said the problems were from NOT taking the steroids! he had 13 rounds of radiation to the brain. like your mom, my dad is EXTREMELY weak, cannot be left alone for fear that he will fall. he says he sees two of everything. i am just terribly fed up with the docs.....sadly it seems it's all about the money to them. he is also talking, eating, drinking and pain free!

thanks for letting me vent!

:(
    Thank you, it is so devistating....so much hope with remission, even with knowing how nasty SCLC is....and here we are...so quickly.