Pleural Mesothelioma

paulinecassar
paulinecassar Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My husband has recently been diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma. Initially we were told he has an intestine and stomach cancer and that it was too late for any kind of treatment. We decided to go for a second opinion overseas in Italy. There he was diagnosed with this cruel lung cancer which occcurs due to exposure to asbestos. We do not recall any exposure to asbestos but we're still doing our research. He was given 1 week radiation and last Monday he was operated (extrapleural pneumoectomy) whereby his right lung was removed, all his pleura and a part of the diaphragm. He is now in pain but we were told that this will not be an easy journey! Next month he will start chemo and we'll see from there.

Has anyone any experience with mesothelioma? I'm so afraid of what might happen. Doctors told us that the surgery was successful but that this type of cancer is difficult to cure. Its so painful watching your husband suffer and not be able to help. Hopefully this pain is not for nothing and he will get better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• cookie_girl
    cookie_girl Member Posts: 24
    Meso
    Hi
    I was diagnosed with Mesothelioma pleura June 1, 2009. The surgeon informed me that if I don't do anything I have 12 to 18 months left. So, had surgery, chemo, and radiation and I am still here. It started by removing the right lung in July 2009 then chemo in September and then started radiation in January for 25 treatments. Went through hell with the treatments as I was doing a lot of vomiting, but you know what, it was worth it. My last treatment was in February 2010 and now I am healing. I cough a lot but I have gained weight as I have lost a lot of weight. the coughing should be getting better in another 4 to 6 month. And now I have just started working again, which feels great. I only go for a couple of days a week for a few hours only as per my surgeon but it is better then hanging at home watching tv. In May I had my check with surgeon and they can't see anymore cancer. My next appointment is in September to make sure it stays away. Tell your husband that he has to keep thinking positive and to accept the help. Also, let him know to talk about it, if not with you find a social worker that deals with cancer patients. I kept everything bottled and finally went to a social worker and found that it helped.

Good luck and think positive, just be there for him as he will get tired easily.
  • gdpawel
    gdpawel Member Posts: 523 Member
    Chemotherapy Does Not Improve Treatment For Mesothelioma
    Could Talc Improve Treatment For Mesothelioma?

http://cancerfocus.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1077&highlight=Mesothelioma

Functional Tumor Cell Profiling may offer better mesothelioma treatments

http://cancerfocus.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2812&highlight=Mesothelioma