Scared Daughter

Michelle Hopes
Michelle Hopes Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My first post every. I could use some encouragement for me to share with my mother. Five years ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer (had surgery, chemo, raditation). Two years ago she had colon cancer, a different cancer than the breast (had surgery, chemo,raditation). Her counts went up about a month ago and she had a scan which showed a tumor in her lung. She does not have lung cancer, but the spread of colon cancer to her lung.

The plan is to have a lobectomy in two weeks and take out the middle lobe. My mom is 76 years old (still has lots of spunk) and fair health. She is up for the challenge, but for the first time, I am really scared that she may be to fraile. I asked the Dr what he thought about her having the surgery and he told me it's up to her; if she has a good attitude she may do ok. He did emphasize that this is a big surgery.

Has anyone else (or family member) had a lobectomy or colon cancer that showed up in another organ? How are you or your family member doing? I need to stay positive for my mom. Thank you for your time and God Bless.

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi
    Hey, Michelle.

I have not had that happen, but I just wanted to tell you that I will pray for you and your mom.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • La.Grammy
    La.Grammy Member Posts: 35
    colon cancer with mets
    Hi Michelle,
    My husband was diagnosed in August 2008 with colon cancer with mets to the bone (rib bone).
    He had surgery to remove the colon cancer in August 2008.
    He did chemo from Oct 2008 to Feb 2009. He then was able to get off of chemo for a year.
    He was put back back on chemo in March 2010.
    Last week was #8 & the doctor said if his cea is good he will let him have a break from chemo. He may start radiation on his rib bone.
    Yes this cancer is scary. It is a hard battle to fight, but it is a battle that I am glad we are still able to fight.
    It sounds like your mom is a fighter.
    God Bless you and your family,
    Jeannie
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Michelle,
    Many of us have

Michelle,
    Many of us have colon cancer with mets (cancer to other parts of the body starting at the colon).
    We all are the same, we're scared. Full of unanswered questions. Will chemo work? Will surgery work? Will I survive surgery? Will this cancer kill me?
    No one has the right answer or knows the answer.
    I only know, that I won't sit around and let this cancer keep a strangle hold on me. I will fight it with all my being.
    Your Mom has to do what she feels will benefit her most. If she has spunk, healthy and wants to go for it, you have to give her the right to do so. Fortunately, they have done many lobectomies for years and they work quite well. If you read up on it, the best way is to get the tumor out as soon a possible from the lungs.
    I can't give you the right answer. I can only give you what warmth and hope that the cyber net allows.
    I'm looking at various surgeries at the moment, which I am thankful to have the chance to do, it means I have a fighting chance to destroy my tumors.
    Peace be with you and prayers your way.
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209

Michelle,
    Many of us have

Michelle,
    Many of us have colon cancer with mets (cancer to other parts of the body starting at the colon).
    We all are the same, we're scared. Full of unanswered questions. Will chemo work? Will surgery work? Will I survive surgery? Will this cancer kill me?
    I only know, that I won't sit around and let this cancer keep a strangle hold on me. I will fight it with all my being.
    Your Mom has to do what she feels will benefit her most. If she has spunk, healthy and wants to go for it, you have to give her the right to do so. Fortunately, they have done many lobectomies for years and they work quite well. If you read up on it, the best way is to get the tumor out as soon a possible from the lungs.
    I can't give you the right answer. I can only give you what warmth and hope that the cyber net allows.
    I'm looking at various surgeries at the moment, which I am thankful to have the chance to do, it means I have a fighting chance to destroy my tumors.

Hi Michelle, Welcome to the
    Hi Michelle, Welcome to the board. I have colon cancer with mets to the liver and lungs. You can read my story by clicking on my name. Surgery has not been an option for me. I was DX in March of 2009 and have been doing chemo since. I am doing good. I work, travel, take care of my daughter , etc.

It is very scary. There are days that I still get really scared.

This board will be a great help to you. There are so many stories of hope here.

It sounds like your mom has a great attitude and that will definately help her.

Brenda
  • Michelle Hopes
    La.Grammy said:

colon cancer with mets
    Hi Michelle,
    My husband was diagnosed in August 2008 with colon cancer with mets to the bone (rib bone).
    He had surgery to remove the colon cancer in August 2008.
    He did chemo from Oct 2008 to Feb 2009. He then was able to get off of chemo for a year.
    He was put back back on chemo in March 2010.
    Last week was #8 & the doctor said if his cea is good he will let him have a break from chemo. He may start radiation on his rib bone.
    Yes this cancer is scary. It is a hard battle to fight, but it is a battle that I am glad we are still able to fight.
    It sounds like your mom is a fighter.
    God Bless you and your family,
    Jeannie

Thanks
    Thank you for your encourgement. The battle is hard, but I know my mom is a fighter and I will stay positive and support her in her decisions.

Thank you and God Bless you and your family.
  • Michelle Hopes

Michelle,
    Many of us have

Michelle,

Thanks for your kind words
    Thanks for your kind words and helping my anxiety. Cancer is scary, and my mom wants to keep fighting and I will fight with her.

I hope you do well and fine a surgery that will help you on a road to recovery.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you.
  • Michelle Hopes

Hi Michelle, Welcome to the
    Hi Michelle, Welcome to the board. I have colon cancer with mets to the liver and lungs. You can read my story by clicking on my name. Surgery has not been an option for me. I was DX in March of 2009 and have been doing chemo since. I am doing good. I work, travel, take care of my daughter , etc.

It is very scary. There are days that I still get really scared.

This board will be a great help to you. There are so many stories of hope here.

It sounds like your mom has a great attitude and that will definately help her.

Brenda

Hi Brenda
    Thanks for sharing your story. I did read your blog and you are right, taking one day at a time is what I try to do. When I start to worry, I hand it over to God. I tell myself, don't worry about tomorrow today. God has a plan for each and everyone of us.

You also have a good attitude and that's important for staying strong.

Thanks again for sharing, God Bless you and your family!
  • drookID
    drookID Member Posts: 20
    Lobectomy
    Michele - My dad had a lobe of his lungs removed after colon cancer mets there. He's younger than your mom, but I think it has to do more with what type of physical shape you're in before the surgery than age. I've met people 20 years older than me that are in much better shape! It was rough on him for a couple days post surgery, but after a few weeks he was doing great. His lung capacity was hardly dimished at all.

Danialle