Cancer hospital in southern California

vchildbeloved
vchildbeloved Member Posts: 133
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
Hello, I have a brother-in-law living in southern California that was just diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. I would like some information on the best hospital there for such a cancer. I am a colon cancer survivor living in northern California, but I do not know anything about your area. I really do want him to receive the best of care.

Thanks,
Valerie

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hi Valerie and welcome. I
    Hi Valerie and welcome. I was a caregiver for my dad who passed away from ec with mets to the liver this past March. His tumor was at the end of his esophagus, just above his stomach. Sorry to hear of your brother's news, but it is treatable, and if he can have surgery, that would be even better. I am in Virginia, but there is someone on these discussion boards from CA. His screen name is Heart of Soul. I will contact him and tell him you are looking for a good cancer center in southern Ca. I also have a friend in San Diego, I can ask him as well. We are all a family here, fighting this disease. I will be in touch, and will be praying for you and your brother. Congrats on beating the colon cancer!
    Tina
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member

Hi Valerie and welcome. I
    Hi Valerie and welcome. I was a caregiver for my dad who passed away from ec with mets to the liver this past March. His tumor was at the end of his esophagus, just above his stomach. Sorry to hear of your brother's news, but it is treatable, and if he can have surgery, that would be even better. I am in Virginia, but there is someone on these discussion boards from CA. His screen name is Heart of Soul. I will contact him and tell him you are looking for a good cancer center in southern Ca. I also have a friend in San Diego, I can ask him as well. We are all a family here, fighting this disease. I will be in touch, and will be praying for you and your brother. Congrats on beating the colon cancer!
    Tina

Start with City of Hope in
    Start with City of Hope in Duarte Calif (20 miles East of Pasadena)

Stomach cancer treatment at City of Hope
    http://www.cityofhope.org/patient_care/treatments/stomach-cancer/Pages/default.aspx

Patinet info link
    http://www.cityofhope.org/patient_care/become-a-patient/Pages/default.aspx

Patient Care
    Become a patient
    Contact New Patient Services: 800-826-HOPE (4673) or complete the “Becoming a Patient”
    Contact New Patient Services: 800-826-HOPE (4673).

You may also try the center I went to for my treatment of cancer. I highly recommend the medical center and also my medical oncologist, DR Jack Jacoub, who has his office on the campus of Orange Coast Memeorial Medical Center.

Dr Jack Jacoub Profile and contact info
    http://www.memorialcare.org/apps/docfinder/provider_detail.cfm?site=O&phys_id=23773

Memorial Care Cancer Institute at Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center in
    Fountain Valley / Huntington Beach.
    http://www.memorialcare.org/medical_services/cancer-care/cancer-center-orange-coast.cfm

Other cancer centers are:
    Cedars-Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles
    The Burnham Institute, formerly the La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla
    Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles
    University of California, Irvine College, Irvine
    UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
    University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center
  • vchildbeloved

Start with City of Hope in
    Start with City of Hope in Duarte Calif (20 miles East of Pasadena)

Stomach cancer treatment at City of Hope
    http://www.cityofhope.org/patient_care/treatments/stomach-cancer/Pages/default.aspx

Patinet info link
    http://www.cityofhope.org/patient_care/become-a-patient/Pages/default.aspx

Patient Care
    Become a patient
    Contact New Patient Services: 800-826-HOPE (4673) or complete the “Becoming a Patient”
    Contact New Patient Services: 800-826-HOPE (4673).

You may also try the center I went to for my treatment of cancer. I highly recommend the medical center and also my medical oncologist, DR Jack Jacoub, who has his office on the campus of Orange Coast Memeorial Medical Center.

Dr Jack Jacoub Profile and contact info
    http://www.memorialcare.org/apps/docfinder/provider_detail.cfm?site=O&phys_id=23773

Memorial Care Cancer Institute at Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center in
    Fountain Valley / Huntington Beach.
    http://www.memorialcare.org/medical_services/cancer-care/cancer-center-orange-coast.cfm

Other cancer centers are:
    Cedars-Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles
    The Burnham Institute, formerly the La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla
    Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles
    University of California, Irvine College, Irvine
    UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
    University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center

Thank you both, and I will
    Thank you both, and I will certainly give him this information. I don't know what type of medical coverage he has, but we will see. He's already had surgery and is not waiting for a treatment plan. I just want him to have the best possible care and chance to beat this.

Best wishes to you both.

Valerie
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member

Thank you both, and I will
    Thank you both, and I will certainly give him this information. I don't know what type of medical coverage he has, but we will see. He's already had surgery and is not waiting for a treatment plan. I just want him to have the best possible care and chance to beat this.

Best wishes to you both.

Valerie

Hey Valerie
    Glad we could

Hey Valerie
    Glad we could help! Let us know how he makes out.
    Tina
  • vchildbeloved

Hey Valerie
    Glad we could

Hey Valerie
    Glad we could help! Let us know how he makes out.
    Tina

I will let you know. I was
    I will let you know. I was told today that he is getting out of the hospital tomorrow. One of my husbands cousins that's there with him told us today that the doctors are saying that chemo won't help him. I don't know the full story until we speak with him tomorrow; but I would like for him to seek out a second opinion. I don't know anything about stomach cancer and the treatments for that. Please help me out. I don't want him to just give up. He was just diagnosed.

Thanks for listening,
    Valerie
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member

I will let you know. I was
    I will let you know. I was told today that he is getting out of the hospital tomorrow. One of my husbands cousins that's there with him told us today that the doctors are saying that chemo won't help him. I don't know the full story until we speak with him tomorrow; but I would like for him to seek out a second opinion. I don't know anything about stomach cancer and the treatments for that. Please help me out. I don't want him to just give up. He was just diagnosed.

Thanks for listening,
    Valerie

Get 2nd opinion and Look into Clinical Trials
    Clinical trials are carefully controlled research studies that are done with patients who volunteer for them. They are done to get a closer look at promising new treatments or procedures.

If you would like to take part in a clinical trial, you should start by asking your doctor if your clinic or hospital conducts clinical trials.

You can also call our clinical trials matching service for a list of clinical trials that meet your medical needs. You can reach this service at 1-800-303-5691 or on our Web site at http://clinicaltrials.cancer.org.

You can also get a list of current clinical trials by calling the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service toll-free at 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237) or by visiting the NCI clinical trials Web site at www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials.

There are requirements you must meet to take part in any clinical trial. If you do qualify for a clinical trial, it is up to you whether or not to enter (enroll in) it.

Clinical trials are one way to get state-of-the art cancer treatment. They are the only way for doctors to learn better methods to treat cancer. Still, they are not right for everyone.
  • vchildbeloved

Get 2nd opinion and Look into Clinical Trials
    Clinical trials are carefully controlled research studies that are done with patients who volunteer for them. They are done to get a closer look at promising new treatments or procedures.

If you would like to take part in a clinical trial, you should start by asking your doctor if your clinic or hospital conducts clinical trials.

You can also call our clinical trials matching service for a list of clinical trials that meet your medical needs. You can reach this service at 1-800-303-5691 or on our Web site at http://clinicaltrials.cancer.org.

You can also get a list of current clinical trials by calling the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service toll-free at 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237) or by visiting the NCI clinical trials Web site at www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials.

There are requirements you must meet to take part in any clinical trial. If you do qualify for a clinical trial, it is up to you whether or not to enter (enroll in) it.

Clinical trials are one way to get state-of-the art cancer treatment. They are the only way for doctors to learn better methods to treat cancer. Still, they are not right for everyone.

I will definitely share that
    I will definitely share that info with him. I did participate myself in a clinical trial for colon cancer, and is still to this date being monitored by them. (It's been 2 years & 2 months). Great piece of information.

Thank you so much,
    Valerie