Sundance's DaVinci Surgery Date Now Set

Sundanceh
Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, our reservations have just been confirmed for our annual “getaway.” We’ve won an all-inclusive “Staycation” package down at our local resort hospital, located on the UTSW campus in Big D.

That’s right, friends - University of St. Pauls’s has more activities than your average lung patient can shake a stick at. Along with the surgery itself, our frequent traveler package includes: “Lodging, meals, round the clock bed-checks, along with amenities and activities galore.” Man, I hope my TV works, LOL:)

And the panoramic views, oh my! We’ll get to see the ICU, and our suite, the bathroom, and the hallways – and it’s all included at the same price – we won’t have to upgrade at all:)

And for a limited time only, we can enter their prize drawing. If you win, your next DaVinci surgery will have a price freeze – the rate won’t go up and you can have “Tomorrow’s Surgeries at Today’s Prices.” You can’t beat that!

Just like Walmart, they are “Rollin’ Back Prices.”

Ok, so I’m not as funny as some of our other family members…

For those of you that are “keeping score”, I’ve got my surgery date set now:

Thursday, July 8, 2010 @ TBD (early morning)

I know I will be there in the early morning – they will take me to Radiology, where they are going to insert a wire through me to help mark the tumor location – when I emerge from there, there will be a wire sticking out of the side of my chest – “Good Mornin’”, LOL:)

From there, I will go see the new DaVinci robot – the latest and greatest device available in the United States. I think I will end up being the #2 surgery that day, due to my radiology visit. And when the bell rings, Round II will be on:)

This will mark the 9th surgery in just over 5+ years for me. I’m fortunate to be in a position to have surgery as my option, so I’m just gonna’ shut up and take it. I can’t sit here and complain too loudly when my fellow brethren are fighting harder battles and in a worse situation than myself.

Right now, all I can say is that I’m concerned and apprehensive about taking another licking to the lungs so soon after the last surgery. I don’t know how to gauge my recovery – by all the things we judge someone from (appearance), I’m doing ok. Internally though, what you and I cannot see…I just don’t know.

I still hurt really good – I’m functional and improving, but surgery recovery takes a good year or more and I’ll be about 9-months removed. I’ve seen incremental improvement, and like most things with my case, I figure TIME is the great equalizer.

With this surgery (my 1st repeat organ surgery), I just can’t help wondering if “All the Kings’s Horses and All the King’s men, will be able to put Sundance back together again?”

Maybe, I’ve just plateaued and this is how I’ll be going forward. I’ll just have to let the calendar roll and get back with you on this question.

I know that having to continually take your beating and then still FIT into the “regular world” is no small task. Everyone expects you to be fully recovered and you’re just trying to catch your breath. As I’ve said before, it’s like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole sometimes.

Then, I think of how blessed that I still am – how far ahead of the game that I still am – and then I try not to moan about it too much – am glad that I can at least tell you guys some of this – where before I just played “mental ping pong” with these thoughts bouncing back across the net in my mind.

Anyway, enough about me for now.

I do have a special post that I’ll be releasing on Wednesday that I’ve been waiting awhile to talk about. I’m not sure how it will turn out – safe to say, I’ll sit down and stuff will start coming out – even I don’t know what I’ll say right now. Stay tuned if you are interested in that.

And as the day approaches, I’m sure I’ll have some parting words for the folks who have come to play a big part in my life and my journey, but we’ve still got time for that.

Always a pleasure to sit here and talk with you all this mornin’ :)

-Craig

Comments

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Best of Luck!
    Hi Craig,

I'm sure that you'll do just fine with this surgery, you're a fighter after all! My thoughts will be with you on the 8th. Best wishes always, Cynthia
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery
    Going for round two with the DaVinci. Sure that things will turn out just fine. It's tough the more surgeries you have the harder it is to gain your strength back so you are going to have to take it easy when you get home. You know that you are always being thought of and wishing only the best for your surgery outcome. Glad you don't have to play mental ping pong ball with yourself anymore and you have us to talk to. Keep us posted.

Kim
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Hi Craig
    Good to hear you have surgery set. I love the humor in you, and it is good you can have laughter in all of this. I can understand how people expect you to be your old self. Noone can relate to the physical and mental pain you are going through unless they have experienced it themselves.
    You are and will continue to be in my prayers.
    Hugs,
    Marie
  • ktlcs
    ktlcs Member Posts: 358
    Surgery
    Best of Luck, you will be in our thoughts

K
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Happy that you have a date
    Happy that you have a date set. this roller coaster just keeps on going. I have faith that all will be well and you will come out of this just fine!!!!!
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    khl8 said:

Happy that you have a date
    Happy that you have a date set. this roller coaster just keeps on going. I have faith that all will be well and you will come out of this just fine!!!!!

Craig, stay away from electrical sockets while that wire's still
    sticking out, don;t want to blow a fuse now, doya?.......steve
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    coloCan said:

Craig, stay away from electrical sockets while that wire's still
    sticking out, don;t want to blow a fuse now, doya?.......steve

It's
    Great you have a time and date set. I hope they get it all this time, your post put a smile on my face, you are damn funny..lol, I like how you open your posts, but your post on Wednesday better be about nothing bad! I look forward to anything you write, especially if it puts a smile on my face. :)

I'll be talking to you before your surgery anyway, and hopefully Kim. How's the puppy doing? He taking up your bed yet? I know that you'll be ok during this surgery Lion, you are always in my thoughts, and we are all pulling for you! ;)

Hugsss!
    ~Chicky :)
  • dschreffler
    dschreffler Member Posts: 58 Member
    You crack me up man! Great
    You crack me up man! Great writing as always! Keep slugging and speedy recovery.
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Surgery
    Craig~

Thanks for the surgery update. I was thinking of you yesterday and wondering...So, one month from tomorrow? I hope you know we are all pulling for the very best outcome and we'll continue to do so.

If you feel like moaning Craig, then go ahead and moan.You are not Superman, although you are a close second:)Sometimes a big loud moan helps release the anxiety.( Just trying to make you smile ).

Looking frwd.to your Wednesday thoughts.

-Pat
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Cool
    So glad your surgery date is set...waiting for the play by play coverage.

PS if the robot touches that wire you get a shock just like the game Operation! j/k (obviously)
  • Jaylo969 said:

Surgery
    Craig~

Thanks for the surgery update. I was thinking of you yesterday and wondering...So, one month from tomorrow? I hope you know we are all pulling for the very best outcome and we'll continue to do so.

If you feel like moaning Craig, then go ahead and moan.You are not Superman, although you are a close second:)Sometimes a big loud moan helps release the anxiety.( Just trying to make you smile ).

Looking frwd.to your Wednesday thoughts.

-Pat

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the update. I have this feeling that you are going to come out of this really well (not that I am psychic or anything!) but I think you have an amazing attitude, a great sense of humour + you have successfully had surgery before; you have an idea of what to expect. You are also having your surgery at a nice time of year, with the summer to help you recover. Actually I am not sure if that is as important when you live in Texas, compared to say southern Ontario, Canada. I will definitely be thinking about you on July 8th + I am looking forward to your Wednesday post.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    AnneCan said:

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the update. I have this feeling that you are going to come out of this really well (not that I am psychic or anything!) but I think you have an amazing attitude, a great sense of humour + you have successfully had surgery before; you have an idea of what to expect. You are also having your surgery at a nice time of year, with the summer to help you recover. Actually I am not sure if that is as important when you live in Texas, compared to say southern Ontario, Canada. I will definitely be thinking about you on July 8th + I am looking forward to your Wednesday post.

your Canadian fan club
    Hi anne!! let's just keep these Canuck good wishes together here.

Craig I am very glad to hear you have a date. Like Anne I too have this feeling that this one is going to go very well. I have CEA results in oncology on the 17th and then hope to head out to the cabin in the north. I am off the grid there so no power no water no nuddin...oh and no docs no oncs no ceas's and no chemo....sooo here's sending you all the best sweetie....thinkin of you

mags
  • Mchapp
    Mchapp Member Posts: 95
    AnneCan said:

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the

Hi Craig,

Go Get'em Craig!
    Craig,
    Glad to know that you are on the schedule! I know you will do well. I feel your concern - I just completed the take down - which is 2 surgeries in 10 months...and boy did this one clean my clock! Fatigue is a major issue for me - but maybe it is the last 10 months of treatments and the first surgery that is now catching up with me!

I certainly do wish you the very best and know that you will be strong and be back on CSN ASAP!

Fight like a man and WIN!
    Michelle
  • CanadaSue
    CanadaSue Member Posts: 339 Member
    maglets said:

your Canadian fan club
    Hi anne!! let's just keep these Canuck good wishes together here.

Craig I am very glad to hear you have a date. Like Anne I too have this feeling that this one is going to go very well. I have CEA results in oncology on the 17th and then hope to head out to the cabin in the north. I am off the grid there so no power no water no nuddin...oh and no docs no oncs no ceas's and no chemo....sooo here's sending you all the best sweetie....thinkin of you

mags

Let me chime in to
    Craig,

We are sure that the results of this surgery is what you have been looking for!

I'll certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs,

Sue
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Great
    Hey, Craig.

I'm glad you have a surgery date. I'll be praying for you all the way! Tell the medical staff that we insist on top notch treatment for you, because we will miss you so much while you're away.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Mini Davinci
    You are having surgery on my birthday. I`ll be celebrating my 40th while you are hooked up to machinery with a big imposing robot looming over you. I hope liitle Davinci gives you a pep talk before you go in. He`s not very big but he`s spunky.

Eric
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Too many surgeries,that's
    Too many surgeries,that's enough.Hopefully this is last one.Best luck to you.Take care.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    glad you have a date
    You are heading into this the way we would expect, with humor and grace. We all know how tough this is going to be for you, mentally! I find it to be harder and harder each time because of the memories from prior procedures. Doesn't matter how the final outcome gave us more time, in the dark hours we remember the bad parts and those are what make it so tough! You are tough and I'm sure will be able to get your mind wrapped around it and be in the place you need to be when July 8th comes rolling around. You'll have a lot of people rooting and praying for you!
    mary
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Ride On
    Well your vacation plans don't make me want to jump up and down for joy or anything. And we do what needs to be done. So I'm just gonna tell you how much your attitude, your thorough planning and researching your options, your perseverance and your openness, and the love that you show so willingly, really thrills me a whole lot more.

The following has been helpful to me lately so I'll pass it on to you:

Ranier Marie Rilke
    Letters To A Young Poet
    Letter 8
    Borgeby gard, Fladie, Sweden
    August 12, 1904

excerpt:
    "So you mustn't be frightened, dear Mr. Kappus, if a sadness rises in front of you, larger than any you have ever seen; if an anxiety, like light and cloud-shadows, moves over your hands and over everything you do. You must realize that something is happening to you, that life has not forgotten you, that it holds you in its hand and will not let you fall."

I'll be thinking of you and holding you too.

all the best, Leslie