Dazed & Confused

cb guy
cb guy Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
So I have just recently joined this lung cancer club. I am the husband of cb girl.

Was first given the results of my cat scan on April 1st and got the results of my bronchoscopy on my 55th birthday. Had brain MRI and it was clear. Had pet scan which seemed to indicate the cancer was confined to my lungs -- but unfortunately it is in both lungs. Original plan was to remove the upper lobe of my right lung, and after recovery to attack the left lung with radiation and/or chemo. Last week went in for surgery but the first thing they do is biopsy lymph nodes to be sure it has not spread to the nodes -- was told they would not do the surgery if it showed positive in the nodes. Well, of 3 nodes, one came back positive so they did not continue with the surgery.

Yesterday had meeting with the oncologist for plan B which is to start with chemo -- cisplatin and gemcitobin in a 3 wk cycle. The cancer center we have been using is a 2 1/2 hr drive from home but has a good reputation (it is located at a Florida University). We were hopeful of getting a good plan, but feel a little let down after yesterday's meeting (reference my wife's post as cb girl).

So now I feel a little discombobulated as what the heck to do (as if I wasn't already discombobulated)! I felt I was doing well overall with keeping a positive attitude until yesterday.

So I guess we will try now for a second opinion (which we had been discussing anyway). It seems so hard to try to figure what is the right thing to do and there is so much information and dis-information it is mind boggling.

Can anyone provide any insight on where to get info such as:

Where to go for second opinions (places with good reputations). Should you try to go to a center that has high marks -- like Mayo in Minnesota or MD Anderson (neither of which accepts my insurance) -- or even your local cancer center (We live in Florida).

What are the statistics for enduring a chemo regimen? Is it going to prolong my life for any significant amount of time -- is there really any benefit from chemo?

Etc, etc, etc.

Thanks

Dazed and confused but trying to keep smiling.

Comments

• cb guy
    I guess I should have added
    I guess I should have added the specifics -- they say I have non-small cell cancer specifically squamous cell. And although I had smoked for a few short time periods in my younger years, I never really was a "smoker" and it has been 20 years since I had a cigarette.
  • choosehope
    choosehope Member Posts: 12
    cb guy said:

I guess I should have added the specifics -- they say I have non-small cell cancer specifically squamous cell. And although I had smoked for a few short time periods in my younger years, I never really was a "smoker" and it has been 20 years since I had a cigarette.

There's always hope
    You certainly are entitiled to feel dazed and confused. Any cancer diagnosis is devastating. So feel sorry for yourself now, but set a time when you will stop so that you can put it behind you and start to think of a battle plan. Tell your girlfriend to do the same. I can't advise you on where to go now as I was never in that position so I can't relate. I am a military dependent in San Antonio and have 2 of the best hospitals around. Injured soldiers are brought here so I am blessed in the care I've received.
    It doesn't matter now if you smoked or not (I was a light smoker), don't blame yourself. I did that for awhile but I had to get over it so that all my focus was on staying strong and positive for treatment.
    You aren't alone, and you can always find a friend here.
  • choosehope
    choosehope Member Posts: 12
    cb guy said:

There's always hope
    You certainly are entitiled to feel dazed and confused. Any cancer diagnosis is devastating. So feel sorry for yourself now, but set a time when you will stop so that you can put it behind you and start to think of a battle plan. Tell your girlfriend to do the same. I can't advise you on where to go now as I was never in that position so I can't relate. I am a military dependent in San Antonio and have 2 of the best hospitals around. Injured soldiers are brought here so I am blessed in the care I've received.
    It doesn't matter now if you smoked or not (I was a light smoker), don't blame yourself. I did that for awhile but I had to get over it so that all my focus was on staying strong and positive for treatment.
    You aren't alone, and you can always find a friend here.
  • LULLA
    LULLA Member Posts: 7
    DAZED AND CONFUSED
    I ALSO HAVE SQUAMOUS CELL NON SMALL CELL IN BOTH AIRWAYS AND SUSPECTED LYMPH NODE INVOLVEMENT (LYMPH NODES NOT BIOPSIED)I WAS GOING TO BE TREATED AT MOFFITT IN TAMPA WITH RADIATION AND CHEMO SIMULTANEOUSLY BUT IT TOOK 5 WEEKS TO GET THE APPOINTMENT TO START RADIATION ON 5/10/10.
    I WAS HOPITALISED ON 5/9/10 IN MY HOME TOWN WITH MY LEFT AIRWAY BLOCKED FROM THE TUMOR GROWING THAT RAPIDLY IN THE 5 WEEK PERIOD.I LIVE IN VERO BEACH AND STARTED RADIATION ON 5/10/10 AT THE LOCAL CANCER TREATMENT CENTER CHEMO STARTED 5/12/10 ONE DAY A WEEK FOR 7 WEEKS AND RADIATION 5 DAYS A WEEK FOR 7 WEEKS.I WAS PUT ON OXYGEN 24/7, 4/23/10 WHILE WAITING TO GO TO MOFFITT MY PULMONARY DR.TOOK ME OFF THE OXYGEN THURSDAY 5/27/10 AFTER 13 RADIATION TREATMENTS AND 3 CHEMOS STATING THAT MY LUNG WAS FUNCTIONING NORMALLY THE TREATMENT WAS WORKING.
    I FEEL THAT I AM GETTING BETTER AND FASTER TREATMENT LOCALLY AND REALIZE NOW THAT I AM BETTER OFF BEING IN MY HOME TOWN WITH MY FAMILY AND MY SUPPORT SYSTEM.
    HANG IN THERE AND STAY ON THIS WEB SITE WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER TO GET THRU THIS HORRIBLE ILLNESS KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

GOOD LUCK LULLA
  • cb guy
    LULLA said:

DAZED AND CONFUSED
    I ALSO HAVE SQUAMOUS CELL NON SMALL CELL IN BOTH AIRWAYS AND SUSPECTED LYMPH NODE INVOLVEMENT (LYMPH NODES NOT BIOPSIED)I WAS GOING TO BE TREATED AT MOFFITT IN TAMPA WITH RADIATION AND CHEMO SIMULTANEOUSLY BUT IT TOOK 5 WEEKS TO GET THE APPOINTMENT TO START RADIATION ON 5/10/10.
    I WAS HOPITALISED ON 5/9/10 IN MY HOME TOWN WITH MY LEFT AIRWAY BLOCKED FROM THE TUMOR GROWING THAT RAPIDLY IN THE 5 WEEK PERIOD.I LIVE IN VERO BEACH AND STARTED RADIATION ON 5/10/10 AT THE LOCAL CANCER TREATMENT CENTER CHEMO STARTED 5/12/10 ONE DAY A WEEK FOR 7 WEEKS AND RADIATION 5 DAYS A WEEK FOR 7 WEEKS.I WAS PUT ON OXYGEN 24/7, 4/23/10 WHILE WAITING TO GO TO MOFFITT MY PULMONARY DR.TOOK ME OFF THE OXYGEN THURSDAY 5/27/10 AFTER 13 RADIATION TREATMENTS AND 3 CHEMOS STATING THAT MY LUNG WAS FUNCTIONING NORMALLY THE TREATMENT WAS WORKING.
    I FEEL THAT I AM GETTING BETTER AND FASTER TREATMENT LOCALLY AND REALIZE NOW THAT I AM BETTER OFF BEING IN MY HOME TOWN WITH MY FAMILY AND MY SUPPORT SYSTEM.
    HANG IN THERE AND STAY ON THIS WEB SITE WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER TO GET THRU THIS HORRIBLE ILLNESS KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

GOOD LUCK LULLA

Thank You Lulla and to the
    Thank You Lulla and to the other posters. We are going to be trying to start getting something setup here locally in Cocoa Beach.

My best to yo all
  • wicker_woman
    wicker_woman Member Posts: 19 Member
    cb guy said:

Thank You Lulla and to the other posters. We are going to be trying to start getting something setup here locally in Cocoa Beach.

My best to yo all

Second Opinion
    cb guy,

Moffitt was on my list but I after MD Anderson told me good bye and good luck, I went to Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN. They had they most clinical trials in lung cancer at the time. I can not say enough about Vanderbilt. Their attitude towards lung cancer was "we here at Vanderbilt think there is more than one way to skin a cat" they were up for the challenge, were agressive and I'm here 8 years later. NSCL Stage III-B Large Cell. I would certainly check their web site to see what trials they have going on. My friend is also an 8 year survivor, Stage IV BAC also treated at Vanderbilt. Go where your heart tells you to go, mine sent me to Tennessee from Georgia. Good luck on your journey and keep moving forward.

Wicker
  • LULLA
    cb guy said:

My best to yo all

HAPPY TO HEAR YOUR MOVING FORWARD
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THINGS ARE PROGRESSING I KNOW THAT ONCE YOU START TREATMENT YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.THE RADIATION AND CHEMO ARE WORKING FOR ME WITH LITTLE SIDE EFFECTS. KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF OUR JOURNEY AND TRY TO FIND A LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP,KEEP ON THIS WEB SITE IT HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY.

GOOD LUCK
    LULLA
  • cb girl
    cb girl Member Posts: 56 Member
    LULLA said:

HAPPY TO HEAR YOUR MOVING FORWARD
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THINGS ARE PROGRESSING I KNOW THAT ONCE YOU START TREATMENT YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.THE RADIATION AND CHEMO ARE WORKING FOR ME WITH LITTLE SIDE EFFECTS. KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF OUR JOURNEY AND TRY TO FIND A LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP,KEEP ON THIS WEB SITE IT HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY.

GOOD LUCK
    LULLA

Our 2nd opinion
    I am married to cb guy. We went and saw a new onc. this past Thursday and really liked him and the staff. It was nice to not feel so overwhelmed like we did when we were at Moffitt. He begins chemo this Tuesday at a facility 15 minutes away. He'll be on cisplatin and gymzar on a 3wk cycle. Days 1 and 8 then a week off. We'll do 3 rounds and then rescan and see where we are. We are guardedly optimistic and feel much better being in familiar surroundings. This site has been so helpful in realizing we are not alone.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    cb girl said:

Our 2nd opinion
    I am married to cb guy. We went and saw a new onc. this past Thursday and really liked him and the staff. It was nice to not feel so overwhelmed like we did when we were at Moffitt. He begins chemo this Tuesday at a facility 15 minutes away. He'll be on cisplatin and gymzar on a 3wk cycle. Days 1 and 8 then a week off. We'll do 3 rounds and then rescan and see where we are. We are guardedly optimistic and feel much better being in familiar surroundings. This site has been so helpful in realizing we are not alone.

Happy to hear...
    Happy to hear that you have found a place locally for your husband to receive his treatment. Having to travel a great distance, on top of having treatment, can be very tiring. My treatment center was a 45 minute drive and I would be half asleep before I even got home. LOL - good thing my husband was able to drive me ;-)

My best to you and your husband, Glenna
  • LULLA
    cb girl said:

Our 2nd opinion

GOOD NEWS STARTING TREATMENT
    HAPPY TO HEAR YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO STAY LOCAL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TREATMENT I WILL BE ANXIOUSLY AWAITING YOUR RESULTS.
    LULLA
  • daviswarren
    daviswarren Member Posts: 2
    If you're not absolutely
    If you're not absolutely comfortable with your provider - RUN, do not walk, to another. Seek advise from competent physicians.
  • cb girl
    LULLA said:

GOOD NEWS STARTING TREATMENT
    HAPPY TO HEAR YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO STAY LOCAL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TREATMENT I WILL BE ANXIOUSLY AWAITING YOUR RESULTS.
    LULLA

Day 4 of Chemo
    Well, CB guy felt pretty good the first 2 days after chemo, but day 3 and 4 are not so kind. He hasn't had any vomiting and the nausea is under control-usually he can't decide if he's hungry or nauseous-so I say eat. It's the fatigue that has really gotten him down. I don't think he expected to feel this drained and it upsets him that he doesn't have any energy. He says he's not sure how he can keep doing this and he's only had the first tx. It was cisplatin and gemzar. Next Tuesday will just be gemzar then a week off. any suggestions to help his spirits physically and emotionally?
  • nubis
    nubis Member Posts: 98
    cb girl said:

Day 4 of Chemo
    Well, CB guy felt pretty good the first 2 days after chemo, but day 3 and 4 are not so kind. He hasn't had any vomiting and the nausea is under control-usually he can't decide if he's hungry or nauseous-so I say eat. It's the fatigue that has really gotten him down. I don't think he expected to feel this drained and it upsets him that he doesn't have any energy. He says he's not sure how he can keep doing this and he's only had the first tx. It was cisplatin and gemzar. Next Tuesday will just be gemzar then a week off. any suggestions to help his spirits physically and emotionally?

Dear cb girl.
    I have almost

Dear cb girl.
    I have almost 3 years supporting my husband in this journey. My advice is to think what is is normal? What is is NOT normal?. Read about your chemo and if your husband is having the rare symptoms call your doctor and ask what to do. If your husband feels tired. It is completely normal. So he needs to rest. Side effect of the chemo is lack of energy. So tell your husband it doesn't mean anything wrong. His energy will be in and out during chemo. So enjoy the days when his is with energy and support him when he needs to rest. Rent movies and have a good time at home. This is what I do with my husband. Take care.
  • MadelynJoe
    MadelynJoe Member Posts: 96
    Your Diagnosis
    cb guy:

I am a 5-year NSCLC survivor. In June 2005, I had the lower lobe of my right lung removed. Fortunately, my tumor was small (2.8cm) and caught early. I did have some chemo "just in case".

I live in Germantown, TN and I was treated at West Clinic in Memphis which is aligned with MD Anderson. I do know from other members of my cancer support group that Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville is awesome and they offer many clinical trials.

Please look up Vanderbilt on the internet and find out how you can get a second opinion from them. If you have problems getting from Cocoa Beach to Nashville, call Angel Flight which provides free air transportation for patients traveling to receive medical care.

Chemo is "doable" - keep the faith! God bless and keep us posted.

Madelyn
  • cb girl
    nubis said:

Dear cb girl.
    I have almost

Dear cb girl.
    I have almost 3 years supporting my husband in this journey. My advice is to think what is is normal? What is is NOT normal?. Read about your chemo and if your husband is having the rare symptoms call your doctor and ask what to do. If your husband feels tired. It is completely normal. So he needs to rest. Side effect of the chemo is lack of energy. So tell your husband it doesn't mean anything wrong. His energy will be in and out during chemo. So enjoy the days when his is with energy and support him when he needs to rest. Rent movies and have a good time at home. This is what I do with my husband. Take care.

Getting Better
    this second round seems much better as it is only one drug, but we will see what the next couple of days will bring since they seem to be the ones that were the hardest last week. He is feeling better about his new normal. We have a week off and start again on the 28th, but at least this time he knows that it will sap his energy and it won't be such a surprise. Thanks for the encouragement. It's always a new adjustment in this crazy club :)