Calypso treatment

koolnole
koolnole Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Anyone have Calypso treatment for PC? I an curious as to the side effects after treatment. They tout fewer side effects in their literature, due to the ability to stop radiation while the prostate is moving. thus less collateral damage to other nerves and organs. If this is really true, it seems like a great option.

Comments

142 Member Posts: 169
    Calypso
    Calypso is not a treatment as much as an added tool, a set of three "GPS" markers that the Uro implants in the prostate, or in my case, because I'm post-DaVinci doing followup radiation, implanted in the scar tissue in the prostate bed. They are monitored by the base unit while you are undergoing the IGRT.

The only negative is the implantation of the markers, or "beacons", with all the prep the same as for a biopsy - antibiotics for a few days, enema that morning. And you will carry a card as a warning for anyone who does an MRI, as they will be concerned about these "extras".

The implantation of the markers is a bit more painful than a prostate biopsy, but I walked away and drove home without pain killers.

I've seen positive sides of it - at least once the session stopped - I had a bit of gas, and things in my gut moved, which was enough to trigger the system to stop.

During the session, there is a panel, about the size of a scanner, that tracks the markers, on an arm that holds it over the abdomen. No pressure, nothing painful about it. I believe, from what I've heard from others, that it makes the process of positioning you for treatment much faster and more reliable.

I'm not sure that the economics are all perfect, as my insurance is fighting it after having approved it (they paid for the implantation, but argue the per-session monitoring charge), but I feel better after I have seen it actually keep me from getting rads in places I shouldn't. The Rad. Oncologist tells me that the precision it allows also permits a somewhat lower total radiation amount.

So, I'm a convinced "user", at 22 sessions out of 39.
  • koolnole
    koolnole Member Posts: 2
    142 said:

Calypso
    Calypso is not a treatment as much as an added tool, a set of three "GPS" markers that the Uro implants in the prostate, or in my case, because I'm post-DaVinci doing followup radiation, implanted in the scar tissue in the prostate bed. They are monitored by the base unit while you are undergoing the IGRT.

The only negative is the implantation of the markers, or "beacons", with all the prep the same as for a biopsy - antibiotics for a few days, enema that morning. And you will carry a card as a warning for anyone who does an MRI, as they will be concerned about these "extras".

The implantation of the markers is a bit more painful than a prostate biopsy, but I walked away and drove home without pain killers.

I've seen positive sides of it - at least once the session stopped - I had a bit of gas, and things in my gut moved, which was enough to trigger the system to stop.

During the session, there is a panel, about the size of a scanner, that tracks the markers, on an arm that holds it over the abdomen. No pressure, nothing painful about it. I believe, from what I've heard from others, that it makes the process of positioning you for treatment much faster and more reliable.

I'm not sure that the economics are all perfect, as my insurance is fighting it after having approved it (they paid for the implantation, but argue the per-session monitoring charge), but I feel better after I have seen it actually keep me from getting rads in places I shouldn't. The Rad. Oncologist tells me that the precision it allows also permits a somewhat lower total radiation amount.

So, I'm a convinced "user", at 22 sessions out of 39.

Side effects
    How have the treatments been? How long are the daily treatments and have you had any side effects? Calypso seems to be a good option.
    142 Member Posts: 169
    koolnole said:

Side effects
    How have the treatments been? How long are the daily treatments and have you had any side effects? Calypso seems to be a good option.

IGRT
    The Calypso machine adds no side effects, and probably contributes no more than 30 seconds to the overall process. I would say the average time elapsed is 12 minutes. There have been similar time reports from folks going through other types of IMRT.

You have to plan a little ahead each day, as they require your to drink about 500ml of water 40-45 minutes before the session (to keep the bladder pulled up out of the way).

Side effects so far have been (at 23 of 39 treatments) a slightly increasing urinary urgency (I am still on 1 or 2 pads a day after DaVinci in 10/09), a little rectal bleeding, and significant fatigue (my day ends by 8 pm).