organic honey as sugar substitute

maggie_wilson
maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
hi sisters,

have read quite a bit, but have not seen anything to suggest organic honey might be a healthy alternative to sugar. anyone have any ideas, or read/heard something about this? i have some great organic ginger honey which i'd love to keep using if it's basically a healthy enough substitute for sugar.

thanx.
maggie

Comments

• faith316
    faith316 Member Posts: 25
    Organic Honey
    My research tells me we are to stay away from sugar and honey both. An alternative is Agave Nectar. I believe I read about it in Life Over Cancer by Keith Block, MD who is the founder and director of the Block Center in Evansville, ILL. It is also recommended in some of the vegetarian cookbooks that I have been checking out. If you need a substitute for sugar I have read that Stevia is the one to use. I have found both Agave Nectar and Stevia at my local grocery. Hope this helps.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    I've wondered this too
    Hi Maggie,

I've been reading oh so many books on nutrition/cancer and not found one to suggest honey is okay. Glad you've brought this topic up as I'd like to see what others recommend.

I just purchased Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life, and they suggest: (choose food according to it's glycemic index)--

AVOID (high glycemic)
    . sugar (white or brown)
    . honey
    . syrups (maple, fructose, dextrose)

USE LIBERALLY (low glycemic)
    Natural sweetners--
    . agave nectar
    . stevia
    . xylitol
    . dark chocolate (70%+ coco)

I'd love to hear more on honey. Have you tried replacing honey with Agave? This product looks and taste so much like honey...I was amazed! Just getting used to adding to my daily routine.

Jan
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    jazzy1 said:

I've wondered this too
    Hi Maggie,

I've been reading oh so many books on nutrition/cancer and not found one to suggest honey is okay. Glad you've brought this topic up as I'd like to see what others recommend.

I just purchased Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life, and they suggest: (choose food according to it's glycemic index)--

AVOID (high glycemic)
    . sugar (white or brown)
    . honey
    . syrups (maple, fructose, dextrose)

USE LIBERALLY (low glycemic)
    Natural sweetners--
    . agave nectar
    . stevia
    . xylitol
    . dark chocolate (70%+ coco)

I'd love to hear more on honey. Have you tried replacing honey with Agave? This product looks and taste so much like honey...I was amazed! Just getting used to adding to my daily routine.

Jan

honey

thanx for your responses. i will use agave instead of honey since i, too, just saw the anti-cancer book that says to avoid honey. the agave is quite good, and will do, just that the ginger honey was fabulous, but i can do without it.

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

honey

thanx for your responses. i will use agave instead of honey since i, too, just saw the anti-cancer book that says to avoid honey. the agave is quite good, and will do, just that the ginger honey was fabulous, but i can do without it.

sisterhood,
    maggie

Candy
    Thanks as I agree!! I've always been a person when had a sweet moment, would suck on some hard candy. Any one found "natural" type candy which isn't full of sugar/fructose? Thought of even trying to make something that will satisfy my sweet tooth. Possibly just the chocolate with 70% or more cocoa...??? Purchased one of these big chocolate bars for hubbie as birthday gift and it was really quite good. Hum...didn't check the label for ingredients now that I type this....as not as precise on his eating as mine.

Jan
  • faith316
    faith316 Member Posts: 25

honey

sisterhood,
    maggie

Agave Nectar
    FYI.....Agave Nectar also came in Vanilla flavor at my local grocer. Not sure if there are any other flavors.