Interesting Article posted on Caring4Cancer site

Ro10
Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I think I was a regular exerciser with working 12 hour shifts as a nurse on a med-surg floor. Not much sitting with that job. And gardening for many hours on my days off, plus walking about 40-60 minutes everyday.

I do use talcum powder in my perineal area. I will think twice about using it anymore. I had no symptoms when I was diagnosed with UPSC.

What do you others think?

Two Behaviors May Affect Risk of Endometrial Cancer
By CancerConsultants.com

Two recent studies have identified behaviors that may affect risk of endometrial cancer: physical activity, which may reduce risk, and perineal use of talcum powder, which may increase risk. Results from both of these studies were published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.[1],[2]

Uterine (endometrial) cancer is the most common gynecologic cancer in the United States, with more than 42,000 new diagnoses each year.[3] Factors that increase the risk of endometrial cancer include obesity, unopposed estrogen (estrogen given without progestin), early age at first menstrual period, late age at menopause, and tamoxifen [Nolvadex®]. Pregnancy and use of oral contraceptives appear to decrease the risk of endometrial cancer.

To further understand risk factors for endometrial cancer, researchers from two studies evaluated physical activity and perineal use of talcum powder (application of powder to the perineum, the area containing the anus and vulva).

To evaluate whether physical activity affects risk of endometrial cancer, researchers measured activity levels among 472 women with newly diagnosed endometrial cancer and compared them to activity levels among 443 women without endometrial cancer. Risk factors, such as those described above, were used to identify women at high risk. Physical activity included recreation, transportation, chores, and occupation. They found that greater levels of lifetime physical activity were associated with a reduced risk of endometrial cancer. Activity levels did not have to be intense to have an impact—moderate levels of activity appeared effective, particular among women at a higher risk for the disease. The researchers note that these findings emphasize the importance of considering all types of physical activity—not only recreational—and all levels of intensity when evaluating disease risk.

Previous studies have suggested that perineal use of talcum powder may be linked with an increased risk for endometrial cancer. Researchers in this current study used data from 66,028 women from the 1982 Nurses’ Health Study to evaluate this risk. Between 1982 and 2004, 599 cases of endometrial cancer were diagnosed. The researchers found no overall association between perineal talcum powder use and endometrial cancer incidence, but did find an association in the subset of women who were postmenopausal. In these women, having ever used perineal talcum powder increased risk by 21%, and regular use (at least once per week) increased risk by 24%. Even though perineal talcum powder use did not appear to affect overall risk of endometrial cancer, the researchers concluded that more-frequent use and use among postmenopausal women may increase risk. They add that further study into this association is warranted.

Together, these studies give women and healthcare providers two more factors to consider when evaluating endometrial cancer risk and prevention. Maintaining moderate levels of physical activity and avoiding frequent or regular use of perineal talcum powder, particularly for postmenopausal women, may help to reduce risk.

References:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] John EM, Koo J, Horn-Ross PL. Lifetime physical activity and risk of endometrial cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention [early online publication]. May 19, 2010. [2] Karageorgi S, Gates MA, Hankinson SE, De Vivo I. Perineal use of talcum powder and endometrial cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention [early online publication]. April 20, 2010. [3] American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2009. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/stt/stt_0.asp Accessed May 18, 2010
Top 5 News Articles
Two Behaviors May Affect Risk of Endometrial Cancer

Comments

• Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    That is interesting
    That is interesting. I've heard about the danger of talc several years ago. What I never realized is it's actually related to asbestos. There is a link to talc usage and ovarian cancer and lung cancer. My mother (end. adenocarcinoma) used dusting powder for years and years. I am wondering now if she used it on her private parts,underwear etc. A friend's sister (a nurse) once told her to be very careful about what you add to your bath water also. Anything you add can potentially get inside your genital tract and who knows what's in some of that cr*p. Even the flouride in water might be suspect.
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596

That is interesting
    That is interesting. I've heard about the danger of talc several years ago. What I never realized is it's actually related to asbestos. There is a link to talc usage and ovarian cancer and lung cancer. My mother (end. adenocarcinoma) used dusting powder for years and years. I am wondering now if she used it on her private parts,underwear etc. A friend's sister (a nurse) once told her to be very careful about what you add to your bath water also. Anything you add can potentially get inside your genital tract and who knows what's in some of that cr*p. Even the flouride in water might be suspect.

talc powder risks

i have used talc powder in the past in the genital area, though not alot. a close friend of mine would smother her entire body in powder and later developed colorectal cancer. hmmm. i now use pure cornstarch after showering; don't think there's a link to anything bad with that use. i agree it's a good idea to look carefully at what we put in our bath water; can't be too careful. thanx for posting.

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • sallyh
    sallyh Member Posts: 16

talc powder risks

i have used talc powder in the past in the genital area, though not alot. a close friend of mine would smother her entire body in powder and later developed colorectal cancer. hmmm. i now use pure cornstarch after showering; don't think there's a link to anything bad with that use. i agree it's a good idea to look carefully at what we put in our bath water; can't be too careful. thanx for posting.

sisterhood,
    maggie

What is terrifying is that
    What is terrifying is that many items we think are safe today may turn out to be extremely damaging in the long run. We really need to step back and take a look at everything we place into and on our bodies. Remember that corporations that sell us half the things we mindlessly smother ourselves in have no real interest in its consumers but rather interest in its profits.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Interesting
    One thing to add on the exercise side, cancer can't thrive in oxygenated environment. So...we need to get out and huff and puff to get the oxygen moving thru our bodies. I'm a big advocate on exercise and now even more.

Off for my run.....

Jan
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    jazzy1 said:

Interesting
    One thing to add on the exercise side, cancer can't thrive in oxygenated environment. So...we need to get out and huff and puff to get the oxygen moving thru our bodies. I'm a big advocate on exercise and now even more.

Off for my run.....

Jan

good girl!!!!!

good girl!!!!!