Monday the 17th - thyroid surgery

Momof2plus1
Momof2plus1 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Oh God, I'm feeling so crazy. My surgery is set for 10 am on Monday. I'm running around trying to keep busy but have such a headache now. I'm off to visit my mom in the Bronx with my children (8 and 6) and then want to do grocery shopping so I don't have to do anything when I come home from the hospital. I want to clean the house and do laundry and just organize. Anything to keep me busy. The doctor is keeping me overnight. I told my husband I'm really scared. I know he means well, but he is just not very sympathetic or empathetic and just told me to watch a movie with the kids. I just feel like if I stop, I start to cry and think and worry about what my life will be from Monday on. I know I should focus on one thing at a time - for now- getting through the surgery, but I just can't help myself. I've been reading through some of the discussions and it's just so much information. I'm 43 and am so afraid that something will go wrong. Yes, I might be worrying too much but I have 2 small children and I can't imagine not being there for them. They know that I'm having surgery for my throat but I don't think they need to know right now that mommy has cancer. I haven't even told them I have to stay overnight because they are going to be sad that I won't be home to tuck them in. this is so damn crazy. The weekend I found out I had cancer, which came as a surprise, because they told me the surgery went well and all was good, I went through anger, sadness, frustration, but then I guess I sort of stopped thinking about it because I was so busy with things. But now that it's actually happening I'm freaking out.

Comments

• savvykitty
    savvykitty Member Posts: 1
    your surgery
    I had thyroid cancer surgery in may2008.They removed my vocal cords because I never went to doctors for years because i had lost insurance.You will do fine...You will take thyroid hormones for rest of your life but i feel great.Try having the terrible surgery i did waking up with no voice.But if i had it to do over again...i would look forward to just getting that nasty thyroid out....Keep me posted...
  • nasher
    nasher Member Posts: 505
    my thoughts are with you
    I am recently a cancer survivor as well.

just remember you WILL beat this thing.

If you can use lists I seriously recommend using them. I have never been too good with lists but with the series of medical appointments and everything else that is happening trust me a list or two help.

Curious did they mention the type of cancer or anything like that. I also recommend looking up www.thyca.org it is a great site to answer many of your questions.

myself I am 39 in feb i had a partial thyroidectomy followed by a completion thyroidectomy since they found cancer. I found out later that it was both papillary and follicular.

If you think you need to cry then cry. If you need to be angry be angry. and when you need to do nothing do nothing.

if they are talking about doing radiation therapy in the future i defiantly recommend looking up the Low Iodine cookbooks and such (most are online and free) I wont say that its easy cause it isn't.

remember we are all here for you and most of us have similar history's in one way or another.

Biggest thing to remember is you will live and you will survive and you will beat this.

please keep in touch with your recovery. I have also started a mini blog (haven't really published it online yet but i have started it) I have found out that just writing it all down and such helps so much when you are telling friends family and co workers.

again my thoughts and prayers are with you
  • Redneckimber
    Redneckimber Member Posts: 23
    Hi,
    I'm so sorry to hear

Hi,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I do want to share with you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. The bottom line is you have cancer and it sucks! No matter what, it's scary and that's just the way it goes. I was devastated when I found out I had thyroid cancer. I had one of those doctors that said, it's ok, it's the good cancer! And that is not the case, there is no such thing as a good cancer! Some where along the line we were dealt a bad card, been exposed to something or was just simply handed down a bad gene, but it's ok. I'm sure my doctor didn’t mean anything bad by it, she just should have said this is one of the most treatable cancers with an excellent success rate.
    So what you have to do is prepare yourself for healing! Cry your eyes out and get it all out then find that positive attitude and stick with it, take extra time for yourself and heal. If you have a religion now is the time to pray to it and take it easy, try and keep your mind clear and tell your husband that everything is going to be ok. My husband never missed an appointment, a blood test nothing, he was my rock! I know there were times when he lost it, but he tried to hide it from me, but his strength and the power of prayer got me thru the most horrible time of my life. The surgery went ok, but i had a bad reaction to the pain meds they gave me so I had to stay in longer than usual, but all in all, it went pretty smooth. I had my total thyroidectomy November 23, 2009 and I am still healing. I did loose the ability to scream, I cannot sing or get a high pitch in my voice anymore, but that's ok with me, considering. I still have swelling and my scar is still pretty pink but I look at it as a reminder everyday of what I went thru and what God spared me from! The worst part for me was the Radioactive Iodide treatment. I got a pretty big dose since my cancer had spread into my lymph nodes and the treatment made me very sick. Very ill, throwing up and numerous side effects as well. I just kept praying and before you know it I started feeling better. It did take about a month to get my taste buds back, so if that happens to you dont worry it comes back. I also have a weak stomach to begin with so dont forget alot of people dont throw up and handle it all just fine. The most important thing to remember is to stay away from your kids for as long as you can. That form of radiation is very toxic to others as well as pets. I know this is alot and there is so much more I could tell you, but the more you read the more you will get nervous. My suggestion is to stick to the Cancer web sites, and stay away from all the other junk out there that will scare you. Everyone reacts different and everyone gets different medication levels prescribed to them depending on your cancer and your doctors recommendations. Just try and stay positive, you will be a survivor and live a very long wonderful life, this is just a speed bump! Good luck and I pray that God blesses you and your family. My birthday is tomorrow and every time I think about it, I cry and smile and thank Jesus for another wonderful year!
    Good Luck and God Bless You!
    Before you know it, you will be back to being the best mom ever!

Kimber
  • Mollyh78
    Mollyh78 Member Posts: 5
    Hoping all is well...
    I hope all is going well for you today and throughout your recovery. I see my surgeon on Friday. I do not know what he is planning, and I hate the unknown. I too am a mom, mine is 7 and I worry about my voice and recovery and the outcome. I have also been jamming my schedule with TOO MUCH, since I do not want to stop and think about it all and cry. I know people say this is something that you will be fine from, but I still worry, a lot. I would love to hear how you are, and how everything is going with your results and recovery. I will keep you in my thoughts as well as you little ones. I know they have to be worried about you. I will tell my son after my appointment Friday. when I know more. Best of luck!!!
  • melwhite2980
    melwhite2980 Member Posts: 3
    your surgery
    Hi there i'm 29 year old female with a 3yr old daughter and 5 yr old son. I too was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma two years ago. I had to remove the nodule and the thyroid, and since have to continue with iodine radiation and scans once a year and so far everything has been good. I don't mean to scare you but when they did thyroidectomy the surgeon did damage one of my vocal cords and went 6 months without a voice, but thank goodness they were able to repair it. I too had the same thoughts and fears you have expressed in your post. I won't tell you not to be scared, because it is a scary thing. I will tell you to be strong and just keep thinking about your children that will get you through this. That is how I got through mine. The iodine radiation you recieve after your surgery is a bit tricky, because you have to be hospitalized and in isolation for at least 2 days. Be sure to take plenty of magazines and puzzle books, stuff you don't mind leaving behind. Keep me posted please, I'm rooting for you!