small cell lung cancer

startingover
startingover Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer this week. This all started in February when I got pneumonia and a "shadow" showed up on an exray. Since then, I have been sent to a pulmonologist, surgeon, and then I made an appointment with an oncologist at Duke Medical Center on my own. After a CT scan, Pet scan, and two bronchoscopies, they have finally decided I have small cell lung cancer. I am now awaiting a referral. Seems like it's taking an awful long time to get something done. Or maybe it's just me. I've been trying to get answers to my questions online, but it seems like every case is different. I will post my experiences on this web site in hopes of helping someone else in the future. I'm 57 and in good health. I didn't know I was sick until they told me I was. I think that's a plus. All my bloodwork is good and I have no symtoms. I have not been told what stage I am in yet. I know there is a tumor in my left lung and two lymphnodes are coming up hot on the pet scan. That's all I know for now..............

Comments

• medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    starting over (again)
    HI! Two bronchoscopies? I barely lived through one ;)(neither did my Doctor, he got kicked)haha. i hate those things but...no symptoms is a good sign I think. I didn't have any (I'm 53) and that indicated that we were catching it early (mine had shown up on an unrelated x-ray). I'm all clear now and went through the treatment pretty well. I would think your Docs are pretty confident with you if they aren't rushing into anything. Being healthy to begin with can only help!
    Let us know what happens!
    Medi
  • cncc
    cncc Member Posts: 2
    medi_2 said:

starting over (again)
    HI! Two bronchoscopies? I barely lived through one ;)(neither did my Doctor, he got kicked)haha. i hate those things but...no symptoms is a good sign I think. I didn't have any (I'm 53) and that indicated that we were catching it early (mine had shown up on an unrelated x-ray). I'm all clear now and went through the treatment pretty well. I would think your Docs are pretty confident with you if they aren't rushing into anything. Being healthy to begin with can only help!
    Medi

Stage????
    I have a question for you! My mom was just diagnoses with small cell lung caner on 4/20/10 and she is receiving radiation and will receive her 1st chemo treatment tomorrow. When I asked her radiologist (b/c we will not see her oncologist until tomoerrow) what stage she was at he said there was no stage!!! Did your Dr. tell you what stage you were in ?? I am looking online and getting some info but most of it is all bad nothing good so I limit myself. My father passed away on 8/14/2005 from cancer so we are a little scared with this new news.
    Thanks,
    Nichole :)
  • marijune
    marijune Member Posts: 45
    medi_2 said:

starting over (again)
    Medi

starting over (again)
    Hi Medi,
    What kind of treatment did you have and what do you mean starting over gain? Are you c free
  • joyzee
    joyzee Member Posts: 33
    cncc said:

Stage????
    I have a question for you! My mom was just diagnoses with small cell lung caner on 4/20/10 and she is receiving radiation and will receive her 1st chemo treatment tomorrow. When I asked her radiologist (b/c we will not see her oncologist until tomoerrow) what stage she was at he said there was no stage!!! Did your Dr. tell you what stage you were in ?? I am looking online and getting some info but most of it is all bad nothing good so I limit myself. My father passed away on 8/14/2005 from cancer so we are a little scared with this new news.
    Thanks,

stages

I think the oncolgy doc gives stages. speak to him/her when you go tomorrow.
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    marijune said:

starting over (again)
    Hi Medi,
    What kind of treatment did you have and what do you mean starting over gain? Are you c free

to cncc....
    As far as "stage" my moms oncologist said really with sclc there is only limited and extenstive. Limited meaning it is in one area of treatment. There is also a lettering and numbering system, but not like most.
  • cncc
    cncc Member Posts: 2
    joyzee said:

stages

I think the oncolgy doc gives stages. speak to him/her when you go tomorrow.

stages
    My mom's dr. told us that her stage was extensive b/c she has it in more than 1 spot they are in her lung, lymph node (which was taken out) & bottom right of her esophagus. Her chemo actually did not start the day we were told so she will start on 5/11 @ 8:00…. Wish us luck! Thanks hope0310 & joyzee
  • medi_2
    marijune said:

starting over (again)
    Hi Medi,

Hi
    I had Limited Stage SCLC. I was treated with Cisplatin and Etopeside with concurrent Radiation. The treatment was very aggresive because they were afraid of the cancer spreading. After all was done I had PCI. And yes, I am cancer-free.
    Medi
  • pkaz53
    pkaz53 Member Posts: 84
    medi_2 said:

Hi
    I had Limited Stage SCLC. I was treated with Cisplatin and Etopeside with concurrent Radiation. The treatment was very aggresive because they were afraid of the cancer spreading. After all was done I had PCI. And yes, I am cancer-free.
    Medi

Starting Over
    I had two bronchoscopes done prior to my diagnose, I had limited stage SCLC and had the same treatment as Medi_2. I am out of treatment 6 years and two months and am cancer free.
    My hopes and prayers are with you...
  • crick
    crick Member Posts: 8
    medi_2 said:

Hi
    Medi

Treatment
    Hi medi_2

Glad to hear that you are "cancer-free"!

My wife was also diagnose with limited stage SCLC, she completed her chemo and radiation treatment and started her brain radiation. Her Pet/Scan showed no cancer, but the MRI of her brain showed one spot. Although, we were told that the brain radiation was going to be done as a preventive measure, we did not expect that a spot will be found. In short, did you have brain radiation as part of your treatment for SCLC?

Best wishes
    Rick
  • nipcat
    nipcat Member Posts: 7
    medi_2 said:

starting over (again)
    Medi

sclc
    hi medi I am just like you ,I found out I had sclc in April 2009 , had radiation and chemo then radiation to the brain in December my cancer is gone . in June is pet scan , my doc also told me in 30% to 40%people the cancer will not come back
    I wish you good luck
  • medi_2
    crick said:

Treatment
    Hi medi_2

Glad to hear that you are "cancer-free"!

My wife was also diagnose with limited stage SCLC, she completed her chemo and radiation treatment and started her brain radiation. Her Pet/Scan showed no cancer, but the MRI of her brain showed one spot. Although, we were told that the brain radiation was going to be done as a preventive measure, we did not expect that a spot will be found. In short, did you have brain radiation as part of your treatment for SCLC?

Best wishes
    Rick

Hi Rick
    Yes, I had PCI done after my tumor was treated and gone. It was a choice, which I thought was a good one ;).
    Cheers!
    Medi
  • tinker1
    tinker1 Member Posts: 1
    cncc said:

Stage????
    Thanks,

stages in sclc
    My husband was diagnosed with sclc 2006 and at that time his oncol doc said it is not staged other then limited or extensive. What we found is that because of the sclc, he has had damage to the rods and cones of his eyes leaving him with night blindness and tunnel vision. My point I am trying to make is that if something does not seem right to you PURSUE IT! Be your own healthe advocate and push for answers no matter what.
  • Arvell
    Arvell Member Posts: 2
    Sounds familiar
    Your story seems to mirror how I found out about my SCLC. I had a tumor in my left lung and the lymph nodes there in. I had came down with pneumonia and was undergoing treatment for that and my primary decided I needed a pulmonary consult so off to Vanderbilt U. I went. Met with a pulmonary Dr. and he looked at CTs I had brought with me and said he didnt think there was anything to be concerned with but just in case they would do another in two months. When I went back in two months it seems the tumor had exploded in my chest.
    I went through 7 weeks of radiation with chemo (cycplatin & etroposide)at the same time. I was scheduled for six chemo treatments but so far have only completed 5. They say the tumor is shrinking so I'm not sure what to expect in the future but I have learned to count each day as a blessing my only regret is that I haven't had the same out look all my life.
    If I can help drop me a line. There is always hope.
  • 58carol
    58carol Member Posts: 17
    Arvell said:

Sounds familiar
    Your story seems to mirror how I found out about my SCLC. I had a tumor in my left lung and the lymph nodes there in. I had came down with pneumonia and was undergoing treatment for that and my primary decided I needed a pulmonary consult so off to Vanderbilt U. I went. Met with a pulmonary Dr. and he looked at CTs I had brought with me and said he didnt think there was anything to be concerned with but just in case they would do another in two months. When I went back in two months it seems the tumor had exploded in my chest.
    I went through 7 weeks of radiation with chemo (cycplatin & etroposide)at the same time. I was scheduled for six chemo treatments but so far have only completed 5. They say the tumor is shrinking so I'm not sure what to expect in the future but I have learned to count each day as a blessing my only regret is that I haven't had the same out look all my life.
    If I can help drop me a line. There is always hope.

me too
    Hi my name is joy and I have sclc mets to the brain. Just finished 12 rads to the brain.. found out that I had cancer end of oct 2009. A mass that was the size of a fist turned into a basketball in three weeks. That is how long it took to get appointment with an oncologist at the hospital that I wanted to be treated at. Had I known that it would grow that quick I would have went else where. But that is hind sight. That is my advice to anyone who hears this news from there doc. Don't wait. I have to admit that I have a good doctor. I went through hell and am alive. Had chemo and radiation.I thank my God for the power port. After chemo I had no veins and the pain I had when they drew blood was worse than the pain in swallowing after the radiation. Or the tube they inserted into my side to drain the cancerous fluid forming on the outside of my lungs. Or the pick that they placed in my arm which was not suppose to hurt but I was the one in a thousand that the vain collapsed on.However When I look into the faces of my four children age 6, 7, 7, and 9 I know I would do it again. and again ect. I really hope I do not have to. I still have a hard time trying to gain weight. Right now I am around 118 and would like to weigh 135 140. Just in case I need radiation again. I was cancer free for 2 months and they where going to apply radiation to my brain to prevent from it forming but did not do it in time. I will find out in 6 weeks if I still have it in my brain and if the spot they saw on my lung is cancer though they feel that it is an infection and not cancer. I feel very blessed. Other than feeling tired and dizzy ( low blood pressure) I feel good. I have the go ahead to weight train to build up my muscles. Wishing every one of you the best of treatments and the blessings of God, family, and friends. Joy
  • dawnsiek
    dawnsiek Member Posts: 2
    Small Cell ???
    Small Cell is when they haven't gotten a "stain" to tell them what it is. If you have good medical I would ask you doctor for a DNA test for Mesothelioma - this is asbestos cancer. It would be good to rule this out. Alot of "lung" and "Small Cell" cancers are actually Mesothelioma.