Thanks, guys (thats a generic term!)

stayingcalm
stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Thanks to stories on this site I saved myself what would have been a wasted PET scan and then another 3 months until I could have another! I have some sort of lung infection that would have lit up the scan with false info, if I hadn't read here about just that sort of thing happening. I actually called the PET Center and they had no idea what I was talking about, same with the nurses at the Oncology office. Luckily, my doctor called me back and said that the info was absolutely correct, prescribed Levaquin, and had me postpone the PET. So, thanks, guys!

Comments

• medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    Your'e welcome!
    :)
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    Lung infection
    Hello stayingcalm, as you may recall I had an lung infection and it did light up the PET scan. However at that point I had already had the needle biopsy, the broncosopy and the EBUS, all of which were negative for cancer. So the purpose of my PET scan was to rule out cancer coming from another organ.

They tried Levaquin with me, unfortuately it was too late to do me any good so I had the upper right lobectomy. But I do hope they can help you, please keep in touch and let us know how it is going. Lung infections stink. Good luck, I'm sending good vibes your way.
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398

Lung infection
    Hello stayingcalm, as you may recall I had an lung infection and it did light up the PET scan. However at that point I had already had the needle biopsy, the broncosopy and the EBUS, all of which were negative for cancer. So the purpose of my PET scan was to rule out cancer coming from another organ.

They tried Levaquin with me, unfortuately it was too late to do me any good so I had the upper right lobectomy. But I do hope they can help you, please keep in touch and let us know how it is going. Lung infections stink. Good luck, I'm sending good vibes your way.

What causes the lung
    What causes the lung infection?
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    catcon49 said:

What causes the lung
    What causes the lung infection?

I have no idea
    I would love to know what caused my lung infection but for me the answers never came. I was told it was mouth and skin bacteria that somehow got into the lung. I have heard that lung infections are more common in people with a history of smoking but I am a lifelong non-smoker and I've never lived or worked in a smoky place. I tested negative for TB, histoplasmosis, lupus, and every lung disease known to mankind.

So in my case it will forever remain a mystery of the universe.

stayingcalm, any indication of what caused your infection?
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member

I have no idea
    I would love to know what caused my lung infection but for me the answers never came. I was told it was mouth and skin bacteria that somehow got into the lung. I have heard that lung infections are more common in people with a history of smoking but I am a lifelong non-smoker and I've never lived or worked in a smoky place. I tested negative for TB, histoplasmosis, lupus, and every lung disease known to mankind.

So in my case it will forever remain a mystery of the universe.

stayingcalm, any indication of what caused your infection?

Who really knows the source of an infection?
    I had bronchitis and pneumonia several times before I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I also have COPD (emphysema, to be exact), which makes my lungs a prime area for infection because I'm unable to cough out a lot of the fluid that collects there. Oh, I cough up some, believe me, thats how I knew I had an infection :) I take Mucinex morning and evening, but it doesn't seem to be doing a great job.

Anyway, it's probably from a cold that was passed around work - at this time of year it's hard to tell who has a cold and who has allergies, and I feel bad wiping down the phones, and the scissors and definitely the keyboards...makes me feel sort of OCD.

So far I'm just coughing up ugly stuff I'm not inclined to describe :) I've had 10 days of Levaquin, and it seems to be lessening, calling the doc tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    Deb