Question about muscle and joint pain

Buffalo13
Buffalo13 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hi, I am new to this discussion board. I recently had a TT on April 12 for papillary carcinoma cancer. When I left the hospital the next day my calcium levels were good. My Dr. told me that if I got bad muscle cramping to go to the ER. The first night home, in the middle of the night, my fiance had to bring me to the ER because I was in extreme pain in my right arm and leg. I wasn't able to move my arm or stand on my leg. My bloodwork for calcium levels came out fine. The pain went away after I took a vicodin. Since then I have had a variety of joint and muscle pains especially after I have been still for awhile. The pains are very strange. Some of them I call phantom pains because they come and go without any residual problems but some feel like tendonitis that keep hurting(hips and shoulders). I read that hypothyroidism can cause muscle and joint pain. I saw my doc. this last Tuesday and he didn't have much time to talk but he did say that the pains I had couldn't have been from low thyroid because it was to soon. He did put me on 100mcgs of levothyroxine and I have been feeling some better. The pain has been less. I also have a hard time keeping my muscles relaxed. They seem to move on thier own and kind of twitch a lot. In the morning I almost drop my coffee or whatever I am carrying due to the muscles in my hand jerking. Very strange. By the way, my calcium levels were normal at the docs on Tuesday. I was curious if anyone else has had anything like this. I have read a lot of the posts on here and am glad that this is a safe place to talk and have others understand. The doc that did my surgery is an ENT. He wants me to see an endo doc in 6 weeks but I think I want to see the endo sooner. The surgeon said that he is presenting my case in 2 weeks to the board of surgeons because my tumor was vascular and there was a small chance it could have went somewhere else in my body. Well thanks for now, Buffalo13

Comments

• Buffalo13
    Hi, I am new
    Hi, I am new to this site and and new to this thing called cancer. I was diagnosed about a month ago with papillary thyroid cancer and had a TT on April 12. I stayed overnight in the hospital. I had my post-op appt on the 20th but I was very upset because my doc had been double-booked and I felt hurried out the door. A lot of my questions went unanswered and I feel quite confused as to what will take place next. I am going to call the endocrinologist in the morning and make a sooner appt. to clarify things. I did post an earlier post about some weird symptoms to see if anybody else out there had experienced them also. Thanks, Buffalo13
  • weberdns
    weberdns Member Posts: 154
    Hi and welcome!
    That was probably scary for you! It could be that you are dehydrated. I also find that I get more muscle spasms when stressed. I had a lot of shoulder pain radiating into my head after surgery. Needed morphine for 24 hours to relax the muscles. Vicodan didn't touch it. You may need to try another pain meds....percocet maybe?? Try drinking tonic water as this is supposed to help muscle spasms. It may be also a sign of being hypothyroid. Hope that you get to feeling better and find out what this is. If you have more questions please ask.....we aren't your doctor but we do understand!
    Sue
  • Buffalo13
    weberdns said:

Hi and welcome!
    That was probably scary for you! It could be that you are dehydrated. I also find that I get more muscle spasms when stressed. I had a lot of shoulder pain radiating into my head after surgery. Needed morphine for 24 hours to relax the muscles. Vicodan didn't touch it. You may need to try another pain meds....percocet maybe?? Try drinking tonic water as this is supposed to help muscle spasms. It may be also a sign of being hypothyroid. Hope that you get to feeling better and find out what this is. If you have more questions please ask.....we aren't your doctor but we do understand!
    Sue

Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks for your reply. I really don't have much time right now to answer back because my fiance is taking me out to a belated birthday dinner. I was still in early recovery on my real birthday(April 18). My muscle pain is somewhat better since I have been on 100mcg of thyroid hormone. I still have weird jerks and muscle movements. I called today to get an earlier appt. with the endo doc because I am very confused about what the next step is for treatment. I was very glad that they had an opening on Thursday. I really want some answers about my treatment. Gotta Go, Buffalo13
  • weberdns
    weberdns Member Posts: 154
    Buffalo13 said:

Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks for your reply. I really don't have much time right now to answer back because my fiance is taking me out to a belated birthday dinner. I was still in early recovery on my real birthday(April 18). My muscle pain is somewhat better since I have been on 100mcg of thyroid hormone. I still have weird jerks and muscle movements. I called today to get an earlier appt. with the endo doc because I am very confused about what the next step is for treatment. I was very glad that they had an opening on Thursday. I really want some answers about my treatment. Gotta Go, Buffalo13

Please update us
    When you can! The muscle jerkk sounds like some type of medication reaction
  • inorangecounty
    inorangecounty Member Posts: 4
    Buffalo13 said:

Thanks for your reply.

Hi, and hope you are feeling better.
    Just curios, are you taking any calcium? my calcium levels were fine after my TT thyrodectomy, my Doctor told me to take 1000 mg calcium with vitamin D at day, she also mention to me that if I feel any tingling or muscle crump to take calcium and it will go away, I do take it daily. I felt some tingling -very low- after the surgery for a couple of days but it was very low. Doing research I found out that we have 4 paratyroid hormones that regulate the calcium in the blood, sometimes they are lost during te surgery( they are dificult to see ) I found out I lost two of them during my surgery but fortunalty the other two do the work.