Silly Question - Spaghetti sauce after radiation

goldielocks222
goldielocks222 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi everyone,
My mom finished radiation for her lung about 1.5 months ago. The radiation hit her esophagus during treatment and has left it painful for her to eat anything acidic like spaghetti sauce, bbq sauce and ketchup.

Have any of you gone thru this? If so, did you have a bland spaghetti sauce and bbq sauce that you were able to tolerate that you could recommend?

Thank you!

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    There are no silly questions ;-)
    I had the same problem, even salad dressing burned ;-( Unfortunately I don't know of any bland spaghetti sauce but tell her not to give up. I am now 7 months post treatment and things are improving. Spaghetti sauce no longer bothers me and I can use small amounts of ketchup. I have also found that Thousand Islands and Russian salad dressing are tolerable also.

Tell your mom to keep the faith and hopefully in a very short time she will be able to eat many more of her favorite foods.

My best to both of you,

Glenna
  • Sherrydave
    Sherrydave Member Posts: 8
    Glenna M said:

There are no silly questions ;-)
    I had the same problem, even salad dressing burned ;-( Unfortunately I don't know of any bland spaghetti sauce but tell her not to give up. I am now 7 months post treatment and things are improving. Spaghetti sauce no longer bothers me and I can use small amounts of ketchup. I have also found that Thousand Islands and Russian salad dressing are tolerable also.

Tell your mom to keep the faith and hopefully in a very short time she will be able to eat many more of her favorite foods.

My best to both of you,

Glenna

just keep the faith
    My dad also went through this after radiation. He could not eat anything that was acidic. He is now 3 months post treatment and he is getting to eat those things again. Just hang in there.
    Best to you.
    Sherry
  • medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    Hi Goldilocks!
    You might try Alfredo sauce on the pasta. No tomatoes or burning, but at least you are eating Italian!
    Medi
  • pkaz53
    pkaz53 Member Posts: 84
    medi_2 said:

Hi Goldilocks!
    You might try Alfredo sauce on the pasta. No tomatoes or burning, but at least you are eating Italian!
    Medi

Goldilocks
    I went through the same thing and could not eat anything acidic, I was eating lots of tums to put the fire out in my esophagus, but when things settled down I had an insatiable appetite for oranges and orange juice, don't know why, seemed like my body was craving vitimin c and it was soo good to eat pasta and sauce again ---- take care may God bless you and yours.
  • medi_2
    pkaz53 said:

Goldilocks
    I went through the same thing and could not eat anything acidic, I was eating lots of tums to put the fire out in my esophagus, but when things settled down I had an insatiable appetite for oranges and orange juice, don't know why, seemed like my body was craving vitimin c and it was soo good to eat pasta and sauce again ---- take care may God bless you and yours.

OJ
    Wow! I did the Tums thing too...then the craving for OJ. That's interesting. Wonder why OJ and not some other Juice
    Medi
  • medi_2
    pkaz53 said:

Goldilocks

OJ
    Wow! I did the Tums thing too...then the craving for OJ. That's interesting. Wonder why OJ and not some other Juice
    Medi
  • goldielocks222
    goldielocks222 Member Posts: 13
    medi_2 said:

OJ
    Medi

Thanks!
    Thank you all for the support! I know she will soon be able to eat more of the things she loves. I really like the idea of alfredo - funny thing is she eats so plain that I don't know if she has had alfredo before. I will absolutely try it though! At least it will get her eating pasta again!

Thanks again everyone!