child of a parent with brain cancer?

crovn
crovn Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
Well, my mom was diagnosed with Glioblastoma about 10 months ago and I have been struggling. It has been very hard on me, and on top of that she lost her job because of it. I have been searching for a support group to try to find people, around my own age, who can relate to what I have been feeling. I have not really had any luck. It just has been very hard to try to relate to people, who really have no idea what I am going through. I have been very out of place, and been struggling with depression. I know depression is normal, my therapist and I talk about that. I really just want someone to relate to me, and know what it feels like. My sister and I don't talk at all about it, there are other issues deeper then just not talking, but I have tried to talk about it with her.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this.

- Courtney

Comments

• stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Child of a parent
    Courtney, I know there are lots of people on this site who know what you are going through - maybe you would get a more immediate response in the emotional support forum, it seems that's what you are here for and need. Wishing you luck, Deb
  • rompers
    rompers Member Posts: 1
    child of a parent with cancer
    Courtney,
    my father died of cancer when i was nine years old.I am now 15 years old. I went through everything you are going through and it is extremely hard to keep yourself together. When i was going through that, I didn't know what to do. I went to therapists too. It will be hard, but i know that if i made it through you can too.The best thing to do now is to spend as much time as you can with your mother and tell her how much you love her and appreciate her.I never got that chace with my father and i regret it. Some days will be harder to handle than others, but life goes on. I will keep you in my prayers. If you need someone to talk to God is always there. He has picked me up many times when i didn't think i could take it anymore.

stay strong,
    -rompers
  • tucsonchris
    tucsonchris Member Posts: 3
    Courtney,
    My name

Courtney,

My name is Chris and I am 23. My mom faught brain cancer for 10 years and passed away in 2004. I can definitely relate to what you are talking about. If you ever want someone to talk too, email me. chrislawleraz@gmail.com

Chris
  • momsworld
    momsworld Member Posts: 135
    Hi Courtney,
    I know

Hi Courtney,
    I know exactly how you feel. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3 in March of this year,it is one grade lower than your moms. I have been struggling also. I have been having a hard time to find people to talk to also. There are 2 things that we should never have to go through, 1- losing a parent when your a child and 2-a parent losing a child before they can experience life. we may not be the same age but we are going through the same emotions. Feel free to write to me anytime.
  • forever10hope
    forever10hope Member Posts: 1
    child of a parent with brain cancer
    Courtney,
    I am 19, and my dad was diagnosed this past October of 2009. He had his surgery immediately after in November. I feel like I know what your going through, having been struggling with this as well. I'm really scared but trying to stay very positive. I hope that we can help eachother out.

Sarah
  • Kimberlyann72
    Kimberlyann72 Member Posts: 6

child of a parent with brain cancer
    Courtney,
    I am 19, and my dad was diagnosed this past October of 2009. He had his surgery immediately after in November. I feel like I know what your going through, having been struggling with this as well. I'm really scared but trying to stay very positive. I hope that we can help eachother out.

Sarah

Hope
    I need it too for me and my father who had grade 3 just removed.
    Kim
  • tanker sgv
    tanker sgv Member Posts: 124

Hope
    I need it too for me and my father who had grade 3 just removed.
    Kim

@KimberlyAnn
    I'm 27 and I lost my pops to a brain tumor when I was 14 and recently lost my mom, if any one needs someone to talk or vent too. Drop me a line. God knows I could use someone that understands what it feels like to grow up way to fast.