You Might Be A Caregiver If.......

AnnaLeigh
AnnaLeigh Member Posts: 187 Member
edited April 2023 in Caregivers #1
You feel like smacking the next person who says "Boy, you really look tired".

You make life and death decisions with a snap of your fingers but you need 30 minutes to select an item from a dinner menu.

You can rattle of the generic and brand names of medications and the family they belong to quicker than the nurse.

Going to the grocery store feels like a mini-vacation.

Caregivers - tell us your version !!!!!!!!!

Comments

• nancyann3
    nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
    You may be a caregiver when............
    You can count calories in your head while at work.

Convert ML's into ounces

and know where all the sales are on boost and which flavors each store has.
  • bingles
    bingles Member Posts: 120 Member
    nancyann3 said:

You may be a caregiver when............
    You can count calories in your head while at work.

Convert ML's into ounces

and know where all the sales are on boost and which flavors each store has.

Jello is a major food
    Jello is a major food group...
    Their nap time is your nap time....
    You have the softest hands in town from all the lotions you applied..
    "how was your night" is the first words out of your mouth in the morning.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    bingles said:

Jello is a major food

Thank You for this Post
    Let me see what I can add to this. Thanks for the smile and the laugh!

You get excited when they have a bowel movement

You get excited when their urine is pale yellow....you know they are hydrated!

What is your pain level from #1 to # 10 is the question of the day!

Tina (Loved every minute of being my dad's caregiver from 11/08 to 3/9/10) May you now rest in peace, and never be asked your pain level # again!!
  • webozo
    webozo Member Posts: 82 Member
    you might be a care giver if
    when people ask what kind of cancer you loved one has and when you answer they look at you like you are speaking a different language.
    when you have thought about anything unrelated to cancer scence oh heck i don't remember
    when you have more meds on your kitchen table than there are in the drug store
  • AnnaLeigh
    webozo said:

you might be a care giver if
    when people ask what kind of cancer you loved one has and when you answer they look at you like you are speaking a different language.
    when you have thought about anything unrelated to cancer scence oh heck i don't remember
    when you have more meds on your kitchen table than there are in the drug store

You Might Be A Caregiver If...
    You have to turn off the spell check and auto correct function on your computer because you know exactly how to spell the names of chemo drugs and your word processing dictionary does not recognize them and therefore marks them as errors.
  • david54
    david54 Member Posts: 164 Member
    Dave’s Top ten things he
    Dave’s Top ten things he gets tired of hearing as a caregiver

1. From her friends, “She looks great! Are you sure she’s that sick?” (Nah-I’ve been making this crap up the past 2 and a half years just for the hell of it)
    2. From well meaning other friends, “I don’t know how I would handle life if I was in you’re situation” (Just what does that mean? Wow that makes me feel a hell of a lot better!))
    3. From well meaning acquaintances, “I prayed for both of you last night. God told me she will be healed.” (Want to sign your name to that?)
    4. From our beautiful daughter, “Hey dad, can you send me money for my books for next semester? By the way, how’s mom?” (Sure sweetheart, let me go out to the money tree and yank a few hundred off the branches)
    5. From my wife, “Can you buy me some Ensure at Wal-Mart, paper towels at Safeway, prune juice at Rite Aide, and Odwalla at the health food store?” (By the time I finish driving all over town did I really save money on those items?)
    6. From the hospital – the bill always come to our address in big bold letters so the mail man obviously knows we owe money “David _ _ _ _ you now owe $$$$$$ and we will do all we can to assist you with this financial obligation, have a nice day.” (Yea, you have a nice day too and I hope you have a hemorrhoid that flares up)
    7. From anybody who doesn’t know what else to say, “You still have a lot to be grateful for, just live for today.” (Sound words of advice, but until you’re in my situation, I don’t really want to hear that, particularly when you are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow – I hope you jet sucks up volcano dust, just enough so that you have to land in Houston for a week)
    8. From my wife while eating lasagna for dinner “My BM was brown last night!” (As opposed to grey when her liver is acting up – its just the timing of your comment that’s a little off sweetheart)
    9. Again from well meaning friends, family, acquaintances, not always in this order but generally a heretofore newly discover juicing regimen,” Grape juice, Acai, Blueberry Juice, and bananas cured me of my ailments, it might help her”
    (What it cured you of was constipation, not cancer!)
    10. And last but not least-“You really need to take care of yourself emotionally, spiritually, and physically so you can be there for your wife.” (Okay- you are right. Give me your ticket to Hawaii, Disneyworld, Italy, even Tahoe, and you stay here for 10 days and I will come back much healthier)

Thanks for this guys-venting helps.
  • Tina Blondek
    bingles said:

Jello is a major food

Thank You for this Post
    Let me see what I can add to this. Thanks for the smile and the laugh!

You get excited when they have a bowel movement...hooray for no constipation!

You get excited when their urine is pale yellow....you know they are hydrated!

What is your pain level from #1 to # 10 is the question of the day!

Tina (Loved every minute of being my dad's caregiver from 11/08 to 3/9/10) May you now rest in peace, and never be asked your pain level # again!!
  • Tina Blondek
    david54 said:

Dave’s Top ten things he

1. From her friends, “She looks great! Are you sure she’s that sick?” (Nah-I’ve been making this crap up the past 2 and a half years just for the hell of it)
    2. From well meaning other friends, “I don’t know how I would handle life if I was in you’re situation” (Just what does that mean? Wow that makes me feel a hell of a lot better!))
    3. From well meaning acquaintances, “I prayed for both of you last night. God told me she will be healed.” (Want to sign your name to that?)
    4. From our beautiful daughter, “Hey dad, can you send me money for my books for next semester? By the way, how’s mom?” (Sure sweetheart, let me go out to the money tree and yank a few hundred off the branches)
    5. From my wife, “Can you buy me some Ensure at Wal-Mart, paper towels at Safeway, prune juice at Rite Aide, and Odwalla at the health food store?” (By the time I finish driving all over town did I really save money on those items?)
    6. From the hospital – the bill always come to our address in big bold letters so the mail man obviously knows we owe money “David _ _ _ _ you now owe $$$$$$ and we will do all we can to assist you with this financial obligation, have a nice day.” (Yea, you have a nice day too and I hope you have a hemorrhoid that flares up)
    7. From anybody who doesn’t know what else to say, “You still have a lot to be grateful for, just live for today.” (Sound words of advice, but until you’re in my situation, I don’t really want to hear that, particularly when you are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow – I hope you jet sucks up volcano dust, just enough so that you have to land in Houston for a week)
    8. From my wife while eating lasagna for dinner “My BM was brown last night!” (As opposed to grey when her liver is acting up – its just the timing of your comment that’s a little off sweetheart)
    9. Again from well meaning friends, family, acquaintances, not always in this order but generally a heretofore newly discover juicing regimen,” Grape juice, Acai, Blueberry Juice, and bananas cured me of my ailments, it might help her”
    10. And last but not least-“You really need to take care of yourself emotionally, spiritually, and physically so you can be there for your wife.” (Okay- you are right. Give me your ticket to Hawaii, Disneyworld, Italy, even Tahoe, and you stay here for 10 days and I will come back much healthier)

David,
    Thanks for your post!

David,
    Thanks for your post! It is great! Hope you both do have a better day, now that you got all of this off your chest!
    Tina
  • AKAngel
    AKAngel Member Posts: 74 Member
    david54 said:

Dave’s Top ten things he

Thank you David
    My word, I can't believe that laughing and crying aren't one word anymore. Thank you for posting almost everything I've heard over the months my mom's been through cancer. My mom actually thinks from the other room that I'm laughing with happiness....she likes hearing me laugh.
    And my additions to this thread....
    You might be a caregiver if you feel guilty for laughing when you need to not cry.
    You might be a caregiver if you are the only one in the house that's afraid to take a pill knowing that you can't be unconscious for one moment that you're home, or that any moment you do leave something may happen.
    Yes it does help to vent...but only a little.
  • AnnaLeigh
    AKAngel said:

Thank you David
    My word, I can't believe that laughing and crying aren't one word anymore. Thank you for posting almost everything I've heard over the months my mom's been through cancer. My mom actually thinks from the other room that I'm laughing with happiness....she likes hearing me laugh.
    And my additions to this thread....
    You might be a caregiver if you feel guilty for laughing when you need to not cry.
    You might be a caregiver if you are the only one in the house that's afraid to take a pill knowing that you can't be unconscious for one moment that you're home, or that any moment you do leave something may happen.
    Yes it does help to vent...but only a little.

You arrive home after picking up all of the prescriptions for your loved one and realize that you haven't refilled your own meds.
  • panks
    panks Member Posts: 36 Member
    AnnaLeigh said:

You arrive home after picking up all of the prescriptions for your loved one and realize that you haven't refilled your own meds.

You might be a caregiver if
    you have learned how to sleep with one ear and one eye open..
    you want to scream at the next person that remarks on the stupid weather..
    you start making a game out of meals
    you take the prescription 2 weeks before he needs it because you know they wont have it in stock.
    you rub his hair gently while hes asleep and think lord how I love you and am going to miss you.

(For my loving husband Dale passed away on 3/19/2010. I would do all this again and so much more)
  • ruthelizabeth
    ruthelizabeth Member Posts: 138
    panks said:

you take the prescription 2 weeks before he needs it because you know they wont have it in stock.
    you rub his hair gently while hes asleep and think lord how I love you and am going to miss you.

(For my loving husband Dale passed away on 3/19/2010. I would do all this again and so much more)

ANd also
    You may be a caregiver if

you resent the kids breezing in and saying, "Dad looks great!"

you stifle a scream when they say, "Just think positive and stay strong."

people suggest you feed your loved one pureed asparagus to cure him (If it worked, the drs would be out of business.)

you find yourself arguing in whispers while your loved one is napping, trying to figure out why the credit card company passed the funeral prearrangement charges, but insist the gravestone is possible fraud. (A yacht, maybe. Trip to Europe, could be. Gravestone?!?!)

his son can't give the suppository because the gloves are too small for him, but they magically fit when he has to clean up the bed.

the oncologist's nurse can't refill the prescription for a longer time to save you money unless you make a new appointment. YOu both know he won't make it in, but you engage in the polite charade of setting a new day and time.

you go outside and it's sunny and blue and breezy and it feels like a foreign country.
  • ruthelizabeth
    panks said:

ANd also

people suggest you feed your loved one pureed asparagus to cure him (If it worked, the drs would be out of business.)

you find yourself arguing in whispers while your loved one is napping, trying to figure out why the credit card company passed the funeral prearrangement charges, but insist the gravestone is possible fraud. (A yacht, maybe. Trip to Europe, could be. Gravestone?!?!)

his son can't give the suppository because the gloves are too small for him, but they magically fit when he has to clean up the bed.

the oncologist's nurse can't refill the prescription for a longer time to save you money unless you make a new appointment. YOu both know he won't make it in, but you engage in the polite charade of setting a new day and time.

you go outside and it's sunny and blue and breezy and it feels like a foreign country.

for a brief moment you find yourself looking longingly at his anti-anxiety med
  • ruthelizabeth
    panks said:

ANd also

for a brief moment you find yourself looking longingly at his anti-anxiety med
  • NBTXGIRL
    NBTXGIRL Member Posts: 31
    Me too

*The pharmacist gives you a birthday card for your loved one! on their birthday.
    *The makers of Lysol and Clorox wipes offer you stock options.
    *There is more food in the garbage than in their stomach.
    *The carpet in your house looks like an highway from wheelchair tires.
    *Drug store employees have the prescriptions rung up before you can park the car.
    *You can sleep thru a hurricane but wake up at the faint sound of groan.
    *It feels like christmas when UPS delivers from Liberty Supply.
    *Your grocery bill is higher than your mortgage.
    *The light of your day is hearing those three little words..."I am hungry"
    *Your day planner only consist of Doctor, Chemo and Radiation appts.
    *You convert your china hutch to a bigger and better medicine cabinet.
    *You receive a check from the pharmacy for being such a good customer.
    *You get excited over an empty nausau basin.
    *You get chills down your spine, that they are AWAKE and SITTING UP.
    *Every corner in your house has tire rubs.
    *Your washer and dryer gives a sigh of relief at the end of the day.

I wish you all rest today.
  • AnnaLeigh
    NBTXGIRL said:

Me too

*The pharmacist gives you a birthday card for your loved one! on their birthday.
    *The makers of Lysol and Clorox wipes offer you stock options.
    *There is more food in the garbage than in their stomach.
    *The carpet in your house looks like an highway from wheelchair tires.
    *Drug store employees have the prescriptions rung up before you can park the car.
    *You can sleep thru a hurricane but wake up at the faint sound of groan.
    *It feels like christmas when UPS delivers from Liberty Supply.
    *Your grocery bill is higher than your mortgage.
    *The light of your day is hearing those three little words..."I am hungry"
    *Your day planner only consist of Doctor, Chemo and Radiation appts.
    *You convert your china hutch to a bigger and better medicine cabinet.
    *You receive a check from the pharmacy for being such a good customer.
    *You get excited over an empty nausau basin.
    *You get chills down your spine, that they are AWAKE and SITTING UP.
    *Every corner in your house has tire rubs.
    *Your washer and dryer gives a sigh of relief at the end of the day.

I wish you all rest today.

You can't even take a five minute shower without being interrupted.

You haven't had time to shave your legs in so long that you look like a wooly mammoth.

Your meals consist of something liquid in a "To-Go" cup.

You know every brand of anti-diarrhea medicine on the market and which ones not to waste your money on.
  • Kamel
    Kamel Member Posts: 5 Member
    Just a small submission,
    Just a small submission, sorry if any of these are repeats

*you have 2 phones, one for personal use, and one for family/friends to call so you can turn it off at night
    *you have been ask by your friends if you've been doing drugs because you're so strung out from lack of sleep
    *every break you have at work you plan out who you will be calling and bring a notepad
    *you start telling everyone your loved one is doing "OK", just to avoid the long conversation that is about to ensue
    *you nearly forgot your own birthdate because you've rattled off your loved ones so many times
  • Tina Blondek
    panks said:

My sympathies to you
    Hi Panks,
    I just read your post, and wanted to send you my heartfelt sympathies. I lost my dad to esophageal cancer on 3/9/10. I totally can relate to the rubbing of his hair. I brushed my dad's hair the afternoon of the evening he passed away, not knowing this would be the last time I ever would. I miss him daily, I cry weekly, but I know he is in a much better place. He and Dale will meet and spend eternity together. He always loved the name Dale, he was a huge Dale Ernhardt fan! Hugs to you.
    Tina
  • AnnaLeigh
    Kamel said:

Just a small submission,
    Just a small submission, sorry if any of these are repeats

*you have 2 phones, one for personal use, and one for family/friends to call so you can turn it off at night
    *you have been ask by your friends if you've been doing drugs because you're so strung out from lack of sleep
    *every break you have at work you plan out who you will be calling and bring a notepad
    *you start telling everyone your loved one is doing "OK", just to avoid the long conversation that is about to ensue
    *you nearly forgot your own birthdate because you've rattled off your loved ones so many times

Your idea of excitement is playing a game of scrabble at home.

You know every direct telephone number and extension numbers to all of the different departments at the cancer treatment center.
  • caribou
    caribou Member Posts: 6 Member
    You want to pummel the next person who says, "You are so STRONG. I would have crumbled a long time ago." (As if there's a choice.)

When someone else comes over to help and says, "Go out for a while and do something for yourself," you can't think of a single thing to do or a single person you want to see, nor do you have the energy, so you just sit around at home.

You are so sick of your own story that you're actually glad that when you call your oldest friend once every 6 months or so, she is so wrapped up in her own troubles that she doesn't even ask how you're loved one is.

You are so sick of your own story that you stop responding to phone messages and emails entirely.

Your 3-year-old tells you that adults don't cry and you realize that you've been too emotionally protective, so one day you do let yourself cry in front of him (just a little bit) and then he feels the need to tell everyone about it.

You feel like an alien in every social situation except for your caregiver support group. (If you're lucky enough to have one.)