"GET a GRIP" on CANCER!!

HOKUZ
HOKUZ Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
ALOHA EVERYONE!!

Just wanted to come on board to share my dad's story.
My father was diagnosed with terminal rectal-cancer on MARCH 2, 2010 @ stage IV. It was March madness alrighty.....a whole month of wave riding with this illness. He has had a stent and port-placement procedure and also a Pet(scan). Surgery to remove tumor was not even an option. My dad started his first chemo-therapy yesterday. I am soo proud of my dad for fighting back and not letting this cancer "GET a GRIP" on him.

MAHALO FOR READING AND ALOHA FROM Da 808STATE(Hula land).
~HOKU~

Comments

• AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Hello + welcome to this
    Hello + welcome to this board. I am sorry that your dad has been diagnosed with rectal cancer. Good for him for fighting back + good for you for being there for him. I have colorectal cancer + 4 mets in my liver. Before they determined I had the liver mets I was supposed to have surgery, but after the liver mets were discovered, they wanted to go after the liver mets with chemo. I have been on folfiri + avastin since last September, with very good results so far - the 2 colorectal tumours are not detectable + the mets are shrinking. I also had radiation + chemo last summer + the radiation shrunk the colon tumours. I hope your Dad has great results, too! I think you will find this forum very helpful. Take good care!
  • HOKUZ
    HOKUZ Member Posts: 2
    AnneCan said:

Hello + welcome to this
    Hello + welcome to this board. I am sorry that your dad has been diagnosed with rectal cancer. Good for him for fighting back + good for you for being there for him. I have colorectal cancer + 4 mets in my liver. Before they determined I had the liver mets I was supposed to have surgery, but after the liver mets were discovered, they wanted to go after the liver mets with chemo. I have been on folfiri + avastin since last September, with very good results so far - the 2 colorectal tumours are not detectable + the mets are shrinking. I also had radiation + chemo last summer + the radiation shrunk the colon tumours. I hope your Dad has great results, too! I think you will find this forum very helpful. Take good care!

Mahalo for replying
    I'm

Mahalo for replying
    I'm still adjusting to the news of my dad and still learning alot of what this illness is and does. Can you define "mets" for me? I have soo much questions but don't know where to begin and when I do I go blank? After his first chemo treatment....he lost 2 pounds but he is taking it very well(I'm soo proud of him). He has about 11 more treatmenst to go. But with lots of love and support....he has the will to fight back.
    Reading alot of people's post helps alot too. Mahalo Anne. God bless and A hui hou =)
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    HOKUZ said:

Mahalo for replying
    I'm

Mahalo for replying
    I'm still adjusting to the news of my dad and still learning alot of what this illness is and does. Can you define "mets" for me? I have soo much questions but don't know where to begin and when I do I go blank? After his first chemo treatment....he lost 2 pounds but he is taking it very well(I'm soo proud of him). He has about 11 more treatmenst to go. But with lots of love and support....he has the will to fight back.
    Reading alot of people's post helps alot too. Mahalo Anne. God bless and A hui hou =)

Hi again,It takes a awhile
    Hi again,

It takes a awhile to adjust to this kind of news + there is lots of language which may be unfamiliar at first - "mets" is short for mestases, which is cancer that has spread from its primary or original location to another organ. My mets are shrinking + my primary cancer is not detectable anymore, so the chemo has been working well on me so far. It might be a good idea for you to write down questions as they come to you so that when you see your Dad's doctor you will have a list ready to go. I am glad the posts are helping you. Take good care.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Welcome
    I'm sorry about your dad's diagnosis, but I hope we can be some help and comfort to you here.

*hugs*
    Gail