a letter in the wall (not cancer )

maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
On Easter Sunday at the dinner table my brother presented me with a letter that I had written in 1959 age 12. We lived in a big old house and there was a closet being renovated so I put the letter in the wall just before it was plastered over. the new owners were doing some renos and found the letter....the owner swears it was to the day....50 years later...he phototcopied my letter and had his 3 young daughters write a letter and place them in the new wall. The owner looked in the phone book and because the letter was signed in my maiden name he called my brother. My brother went over to the house and got the letter as a surprise for me. I am going to try scanning it and putting it on my expressions page.

Also in the letter was a 4 leaf clover....arrived 2 days before my scan.....was this an omen thought I ....if it was it turned out to be a good one

mags

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Tell Me What You Wrote...
    Maggie May:)

1959 huh...wow! Not sure I can count that high, LOL:)

Really cool though - what were the thoughts of the Young Maggie in 1959? Inquiring minds want to know.

I found some of my old stories recently too - I used to write some sci/fi stuff when I was between 12-14. Fascinating to look back on what my thoughts were and see my handwriting - yep that's handwriting, LOL:) looked like.

When I went to college, I was in a English class and the professor "tore me down" and said I could not write anything - it discouraged me for years and my voice fell silent, until about 6-years ago...Cancer gave me a re-birth and started me back to writing/typing my thoughts and finding the board, I have tried to take it to another level - I'm sure I wear alot of you out, but hey, I've got a lot to say and now someone who will listen to it.

Please tell me what you wrote about - I can't wait to hear about it.

When I was about 20, I wrote a 23-page letter (don't roll your eyes) to the Dallas Cowboys telling the president, Tex Schramm, what the organization and the people meant to me. I was surprised one day when I got a "personalized letter" from Tex himself telling me that they sent the letter to the practice field for all the players to read - I've still got the letter framed and hung in my office. One of my proudest accomplishments - a memory and artifact that I treasure. Tex was a busy man, who took some time out of his day to reply to me and how refreshing that was when I think back on it now - just would not happen in today's world.

What a gift for you to receive - a good omen for you - thanks so much for this story - I just love a good story - makes the world go 'round:)

-Craig
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Hi Mags,
    How amazing! What

Hi Mags,

How amazing! What a cute letter! It is so nice that the current owner went to the trouble of finding you. Also, the 4 leaf clover; how great is that? We can use all help when battling this disease + with scans etc. I looked at the photos of your summer place also; how beautiful! And to think that I think of Owen Sound as a summer destination spot, but you leave there to go further north! Lucky you!
  • maglets
    Sundanceh said:

Tell Me What You Wrote...
    Maggie May:)

1959 huh...wow! Not sure I can count that high, LOL:)

Really cool though - what were the thoughts of the Young Maggie in 1959? Inquiring minds want to know.

I found some of my old stories recently too - I used to write some sci/fi stuff when I was between 12-14. Fascinating to look back on what my thoughts were and see my handwriting - yep that's handwriting, LOL:) looked like.

When I went to college, I was in a English class and the professor "tore me down" and said I could not write anything - it discouraged me for years and my voice fell silent, until about 6-years ago...Cancer gave me a re-birth and started me back to writing/typing my thoughts and finding the board, I have tried to take it to another level - I'm sure I wear alot of you out, but hey, I've got a lot to say and now someone who will listen to it.

Please tell me what you wrote about - I can't wait to hear about it.

When I was about 20, I wrote a 23-page letter (don't roll your eyes) to the Dallas Cowboys telling the president, Tex Schramm, what the organization and the people meant to me. I was surprised one day when I got a "personalized letter" from Tex himself telling me that they sent the letter to the practice field for all the players to read - I've still got the letter framed and hung in my office. One of my proudest accomplishments - a memory and artifact that I treasure. Tex was a busy man, who took some time out of his day to reply to me and how refreshing that was when I think back on it now - just would not happen in today's world.

What a gift for you to receive - a good omen for you - thanks so much for this story - I just love a good story - makes the world go 'round:)

-Craig

craig
    isn't it sad when a teacher does that to you and your voice is silenced...that is is great story about Tex....so glad you still have the letter....just click on expressions to see my little letter......hugs and smoooch

maggie may
  • maglets
    AnneCan said:

Hi Mags,
    How amazing! What

Hi Mags,

How amazing! What a cute letter! It is so nice that the current owner went to the trouble of finding you. Also, the 4 leaf clover; how great is that? We can use all help when battling this disease + with scans etc. I looked at the photos of your summer place also; how beautiful! And to think that I think of Owen Sound as a summer destination spot, but you leave there to go further north! Lucky you!

letter
    it is pretty amazing....first that i would use Roman numerals....the 7 men who just died refers to a recreational boating accident that just happened in 1959 on the Mary Ward shoals just off Collingwood....all men drowned. Also i said...800 people live here but that was a dropped 0 ...our population was 8000
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    maglets said:

letter
    it is pretty amazing....first that i would use Roman numerals....the 7 men who just died refers to a recreational boating accident that just happened in 1959 on the Mary Ward shoals just off Collingwood....all men drowned. Also i said...800 people live here but that was a dropped 0 ...our population was 8000

A Time Capsule...
    Writing in cursive too, eh?

Anybody but our generation(s) remember that one? Or how to do it? There was a time before texting, ah the memories:)

What a trip back in time - loved it!

-Craig
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    maglets said:

letter

Mags
    I really enjoyed reading this post and looking at your pictures. Very nice!

Funny how things just 'turn up' like your letter, isn't it?

-Pat
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Cool!
    What a lovely surprise! Can't wait to read it.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    WOW!! Too Cool!
    So fun to have it found and returned!

Rob; in Vancouver
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    wow
    what a wonderful surprise that had to be. I hope you can put it up to see!
    greybeard
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    I see it is up
    what a hoot, just read it!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    how fun!
    Mags,

This is so interesting- thanks for sharing! What fun memories getting that letter back after all this time must have churned up. :)

Lisa