Mouth Fungal Infection

yesyes2
yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
Hi All,

Have any of you experienced oral fungal infections during you chemo? I have been on anti fungal medication since my 3rd RCHOP. I have just had #5 of 6 cycles. Started out as a sore throat but now my entire mouth is snowy white, looks kind of like Christmas. Not the typical mouth sores I have experienced in the past. My Onc is having surgery this week and I don't think I really need to see his partner as I'm already on medication but wondering what you might think as everyone here has a wealth of information?

I hope everyone is doing well today.
Thank you,
Leslie

Comments

• jklucas
    jklucas Member Posts: 1
    mouth fungal infection
    Hi Leslie,
    Sounds like you have thrush. My husband got a pretty bad case of it when he was being treated w/ ATGAM for low platelets. They gave him meds which cleared it up. He then got the mouth sores that lasted for 2 weeks. He used "magic mouthwash" w/ antifungal, steroids and Benedryl and they finally cleared up. I would go see your doctor's partner and get this cleared up because you don't want it to spread.
    Julie
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    jklucas said:

mouth fungal infection
    Hi Leslie,
    Sounds like you have thrush. My husband got a pretty bad case of it when he was being treated w/ ATGAM for low platelets. They gave him meds which cleared it up. He then got the mouth sores that lasted for 2 weeks. He used "magic mouthwash" w/ antifungal, steroids and Benedryl and they finally cleared up. I would go see your doctor's partner and get this cleared up because you don't want it to spread.
    Julie

Thrush
    Hi jklucas,
    Thanks for the response and the suggestion on the mouth wash. I thought it might be Thrush but since I'm already on antifugal meds I don't know. It did clear up and I see my oncologist on Friday and will ask him.
    How is your husband doing now? I hope all is going well.
    Leslie
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    magic mouthwash
    My first Dr.that I quit going to gave me magic mouthwash for mouth sores. My doctor that I changed to prescribed Fluconazole 100 mg. It was 100% better.
  • Ndeepsouth
    Ndeepsouth Member Posts: 1
    jklucas said:

mouth fungal infection
    Hi Leslie,
    Julie

Mouth and throat
    I have had this each time during the mid-week between chemo cycles. I am using the magic mouthwash and taking Fluconazole 200mg tablets, 2 per day. It's painful and makes it hard to eat or drink. My doctor has asked me to try taking Prilosec in the evenings. Thinks acid reflux
    may be at play, even if I don't feel the burn when it happens. So I will try this to see if it
    prevents the return of the sore throat, just had my infusion 3 days ago. I will not use the
    mouthwash or pills if this approach works.
  • britta
    britta Member Posts: 107
    JoanieP said:

magic mouthwash
    My first Dr.that I quit going to gave me magic mouthwash for mouth sores. My doctor that I changed to prescribed Fluconazole 100 mg. It was 100% better.

Mouth Fungal Infection
    I have a terrible mouth fungal infection right now, I have been using the magic wash and it hasn't helped at all. Glad I saw your posts, I'm going to call the dr. immediately.