Modified Citrus Pectin

dianetavegia
dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Guys, this would be especially important to our Stage IV folk. Please don't overlook this info!

Also, I'm trying to find the best brand to buy and know nothing about vitamin brands! I'm not finding this very easily, either. It has to be 'modified citrus pectin' because it isn't absorbed otherwise.
Effects of daily oral administration of quercetin chalcone and modified citrus pectin on implanted colon-25 tumor growth in Balb-c mice.
Altern Med Rev. 2000 Dec;5(6):546-52.

This study examines the effects of modified citrus pectin and QC on the size and weight of colon-25 tumors implanted in balb-c mice. Fifty mice were orally administered either 1 ml distilled water (controls), low-dose QC, high-dose QC, low-dose modified citrus pectin (0. 8 mg/ml) or high-dose modified citrus pectin (1.6 mg/ml) on a daily basis, beginning the first day of tumor palpation (usually eight days post-implantation).

A significant reduction in tumor size was noted at day 20 in all groups compared to controls. The groups given low-dose QC and modified citrus pectin had a 29-percent (NS) and 38-percent decrease in size, respectively. The high-dose groups had an even more impressive reduction in size; 65 percent in the QC group and 70 percent in the mice given modified citrus pectin.

This is the first evidence that modified citrus pectin can reduce the growth of solid primary tumors, and the first research showing QC has antitumor activity. Additional research on these substances and their effect on human cancers is warranted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Modified Citrus Pectin should be considered as a key part in any preventive or therapeutic regimen for any type of cancer. Dosage is also speculative, but based on the animal studies, we believe that a dosage of five grams per day may provide significant preventive or therapeutic benefits.
Nutrition Review Citrus Pectin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These studies appear to show that MCP makes it difficult for cancer cells that break off from the main tumor to join together and grow in other organs. However, in most animal studies, MCP had no effect on the main tumor, suggesting that it may only be useful for preventing or slowing the growth of metastatic tumors in very early stages of development.

Recent laboratory studies of human and animal cells have provided information on how MCP might slow the spread of cancer. MCP appears to attach to galectin-3, a common chemical in many cells. Galectin-3 is present in abnormally high levels in many cancers and plays an important role in the growth, survival, and spread of cancer cells.
American Cancer Society and Citrus Pectin

Comments

• dianetavegia
    Ordered some
    I have a high school friend who is currently working in New York and New Jersey as a registered dietitian and fitness professional in private practice and for corportations. She's also teaching at the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater and Hunter College. NYU '96 master of science, Clinical Nutrition. She helped me out. Marie recommended the NOW brand of vitamins. I found it on Amazon for $30.00 less than online vitamin shops. I got a 30- 90 day supply for $56.56 with shipping.
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    more on subject
    I too am taking MCP in pill form. I had a very bad chemo cycle at Christmas and landed in the er. so When I got out, I went to a homopathic dr and she said to take the MCP as well as theribotic powder. I am doing great now. My last Ct (2 wks ago) showed the ascities in the gut area was almost all gone and no new growth anywhere. With Gods blessing and the MCP I'll keep staying stong!
    Jill
  • dianetavegia
    jillpls said:

more on subject
    I too am taking MCP in pill form. I had a very bad chemo cycle at Christmas and landed in the er. so When I got out, I went to a homopathic dr and she said to take the MCP as well as theribotic powder. I am doing great now. My last Ct (2 wks ago) showed the ascities in the gut area was almost all gone and no new growth anywhere. With Gods blessing and the MCP I'll keep staying stong!
    Jill

That's GREAT news Jill!
    Maybe people think it sounds too simple but a new report said HIV can be helped by bananas so why not this?

I'm so glad to hear your news!
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    MCP
    Hi Diane,

My Naturopathic doctor had me on this powder and explained how it worked like this:

The MCP is like spraying the invisible man (being the cancer cells) so that the body can see him (the cancer cells) and kill him off. The MCP adheres to the cancer cells and "exposes" them and the body can then pop them off. I'm probably not doing her explanation justice but it has been 8 1/2 years.....I don't remember the exact words.

I used the powder form and put in in my juice. If you need a distributor I can give you the name of my Naturopath. It was fractionated pectin.

It's a shame that this information is not commonly out there and that all cancer patients aren't put on this stuff. But that's why I am continuously encouraging folks to find a good Naturopathic doctor who is knowledgeable in cancer/nutrition.

peace, emily
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    2bhealed said:

MCP
    Hi Diane,

My Naturopathic doctor had me on this powder and explained how it worked like this:

The MCP is like spraying the invisible man (being the cancer cells) so that the body can see him (the cancer cells) and kill him off. The MCP adheres to the cancer cells and "exposes" them and the body can then pop them off. I'm probably not doing her explanation justice but it has been 8 1/2 years.....I don't remember the exact words.

I used the powder form and put in in my juice. If you need a distributor I can give you the name of my Naturopath. It was fractionated pectin.

It's a shame that this information is not commonly out there and that all cancer patients aren't put on this stuff. But that's why I am continuously encouraging folks to find a good Naturopathic doctor who is knowledgeable in cancer/nutrition.

peace, emily

Keep it up
    Diane,
    Thank you for letting us know about this and Emily keep encouraging folks, we need all the information and help we can get! (I am asking if anyone knows why don't the oncologists know about this stuff. Do they not believe it will help? Just wondering)
    Jan
  • dianetavegia
    Shrunk colon cancer tumors in the pancreas/ liver by 70%
    You would think 'shrunk by 70%' would get onc's attention! Maybe the fact that a patient can spend $56.00 a MONTH vs $32,000 has something to do with it. Ten years from now some studies will be completed and this will be made public yet how many will have died by then that this might have helped?

Emily, I read an explanation that said the modified fruit pectin coats the microscopic tumor cells so they cannot stick to each other and form tumors. In solid tumors, it coats the outside of the clump of cancerous cells so they cannot grow larger and they begin to starve off (think how Avastin works) and shrink. Our body will kill off the single cell floating around, unable to stick and grow.

Jan, You can't over dose on this stuff. It's good for you anyhow. One action is that it removes metals and pollution from our system. It might even help with neuropathy. The only side effect noted is some people can get constipated on massive doses.

Emily, several places I saw 'mix in warm water'. Do you think that's just to dissolve it?
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member

Shrunk colon cancer tumors in the pancreas/ liver by 70%
    You would think 'shrunk by 70%' would get onc's attention! Maybe the fact that a patient can spend $56.00 a MONTH vs $32,000 has something to do with it. Ten years from now some studies will be completed and this will be made public yet how many will have died by then that this might have helped?

Emily, I read an explanation that said the modified fruit pectin coats the microscopic tumor cells so they cannot stick to each other and form tumors. In solid tumors, it coats the outside of the clump of cancerous cells so they cannot grow larger and they begin to starve off (think how Avastin works) and shrink. Our body will kill off the single cell floating around, unable to stick and grow.

Jan, You can't over dose on this stuff. It's good for you anyhow. One action is that it removes metals and pollution from our system. It might even help with neuropathy. The only side effect noted is some people can get constipated on massive doses.

Emily, several places I saw 'mix in warm water'. Do you think that's just to dissolve it?

me too.
    I just wanted to add that my N.D. also had me taking modified citrus pectin. I haven't taken it regularly for a while, but I think I will start again! Thank you for the post.
    -Susan H.
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will add it to my regimen. Do you know what is best? Pill form or powder form mixed into water?

Thanks!
  • dianetavegia
    mom_2_3 said:

Thanks
    Thanks, I will add it to my regimen. Do you know what is best? Pill form or powder form mixed into water?

Thanks!

Powdered
    All the trials used powdered and my high school friend with a masters degree in science and nutrition said powdered mixed in water or juice.

She said NOW is a good brand and it was $30.00 cheaper on Amazon than any place I found!
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    THANKS FOR THIS POST
    Diane
    Thanks for this post I will definantly talk to DR about this and hope he okays it I dont see why he wouldnt as chemo isnt working right now anyways can I get it from anywhere
    or will I need to order it Thanks again Sheri22
  • dianetavegia
    sheri22 said:

THANKS FOR THIS POST
    Diane
    Thanks for this post I will definantly talk to DR about this and hope he okays it I dont see why he wouldnt as chemo isnt working right now anyways can I get it from anywhere
    or will I need to order it Thanks again Sheri22

I tried local vitamin stores....
    My friend with a masters in science and nutrition said she recommended the NOW brand. I found it on iherb but did a search and found it on Amazon.com for a lot less.

Sheri, the possibilities are amazing! It cannot hurt! It's the bitter portion of the fruit and it must be 'MODIFIED' because it won't pass through the intestines and into the bloodstream otherwise.

I'm going to use it to help prevent spread and hope and pray it works for you. It meant a lot to me that Emily uses it. I really respect her opinion.

Diane
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    I took MCP
    Back when I was in the thick of my fight. It was the powder form and I mixed it in my juicing twice a day for almost a year after I stopped chemo. I was working so hard to keep my immune system at it peak form and hoped it allowed my WBC (white blood cells)to kill off the cancer cells like they were meant to.

Lisa P.
  • dianetavegia
    scouty said:

I took MCP
    Back when I was in the thick of my fight. It was the powder form and I mixed it in my juicing twice a day for almost a year after I stopped chemo. I was working so hard to keep my immune system at it peak form and hoped it allowed my WBC (white blood cells)to kill off the cancer cells like they were meant to.

Lisa P.

Thanks Lisa!
    I wish all of our friends would look into this! My MCP is supposed to arrive in the mail by Monday at the latest. It did say 'warm water or liquids' and I'm wondering if that's only to insure it dissolves. I cannot find anything that says it works better that way. Do you know?

Thanks again for sharing. You're one of my heroes!
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Very Encouraging
    While this does sound very encouraging, I think, my own personal opinion, that we need a little caution when recommending supplements. Many of us are in the middle of chemotherapy treatments and most oncologists do not want us taking any supplements of any kind without their knowledge and approval. I have questioned George's oncologist a few times about this kind of stuff and he put it to us very plainly and patiently, if it strengthens regular cells what do you think it will do to your cancer cells. Now, if George were go to NED/NEAD I would be all over this stuff. In fact, I have been reading up on naturalpaths for this very reason. If you are NED, this is great information.

Now don't anyone get mad, I'm just putting it out there that you do need to check with your doctors if you are currently in treatment before adding supplements and the like to your daily routines.

Have a good one - Tina
  • dianetavegia
    Bumped for Cynthia
    Be sure to mix this in applesauce. It disappears in applesauce but nasty otherwise.
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201

Bumped for Cynthia
    Be sure to mix this in applesauce. It disappears in applesauce but nasty otherwise.

I ordered this. Thanks so
    I ordered this. Thanks so much for the information.

Catherine
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    C Dixon said:

I ordered this. Thanks so
    I ordered this. Thanks so much for the information.

Catherine

Hi Diane,
    Thank you very

Hi Diane,

Thank you very much for this information! I'll mention it to his onc. tomorrow as well. It seems to be certainly worth a try! :-)

Take care,

Cynthia
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201

Bumped for Cynthia

Another Question
    OK, thanks again for posting this. I got mine yesterday and I remember you saying 5 grams but when I double checked online several site said 5mg 3 x a day. Is that what you are doing? I ordered the Source Naturals Pecta Sol brand and it has no taste in water. I hope that doesn't mean it isn't effective. I drink plenty of yuck and am happy not to add to it but will if I need to.

Catherine
  • Erinb
    Erinb Member Posts: 293
    thready said:

Keep it up
    Diane,
    Thank you for letting us know about this and Emily keep encouraging folks, we need all the information and help we can get! (I am asking if anyone knows why don't the oncologists know about this stuff. Do they not believe it will help? Just wondering)
    Jan

inspiring
    When we were interviewing surgeons, I asked about Pawpaw and other alternatives. He wouldn't comment on anything other than'standard medicine' because that was the area he was educated in.
  • dianetavegia
    C Dixon said:

Another Question
    OK, thanks again for posting this. I got mine yesterday and I remember you saying 5 grams but when I double checked online several site said 5mg 3 x a day. Is that what you are doing? I ordered the Source Naturals Pecta Sol brand and it has no taste in water. I hope that doesn't mean it isn't effective. I drink plenty of yuck and am happy not to add to it but will if I need to.

Catherine

Catherine,
    3 times a day if you have tumors and once a day for maintenance. I'm taking only 1 tsp (5 grams) in applesauce at night. I can't taste it or 'feel' it in the applesauce.

Lisa P. (Scouty) took it twice a day and I think Emily (2bhealed) did also. Both are way out and healed!
    Modified Citrus Pectin should be considered as a key part in any preventive or therapeutic regimen for any type of cancer. Dosage is also speculative, but based on the animal studies, we believe that a dosage of five grams per day may provide significant preventive or therapeutic benefits.