Caregiver info

Susan W
Susan W Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My mom just found out that she has a large mass on her right lung. My mom does not drive and lives 1 hour from the doctors, I have decided to take a FMLA from work to take care of her. Does anyone have any info on people that take care of others that get paid. I remember when my mother in law was sick and a friend was paid to take care of her. I don't know where to turn or look for this information. Thanks

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Support
    I am not familiar with such a program, Susan, but can at least provide some starting places for seeking financial assistance, among other things. Here is a small list:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/financial-resources

This site is put up by the National Institute of Health or some such, and is government-supported.

Cancer Care, a non-profit org., offers free support and counseling for cancer patients by oncology social workers. They have face-to-face counseling and counceling on the phone. Support groups on the phone are available too and are moderated by an oncology social worker. Call 800-813-HOPE. They can also give you info about financial resources. Check their website: www.cancercare.org

Gilda's Club - www.gildasclub.org - they offer free social and emotional support. Not sure if they may have financial information but check it out just in case.

Live Strong - www.livestrong.org - offers one-on-one support.

American Cancer Society (here) can also give you financial, support, etc. information available in different cities.

I hope that among these you will be able to find what you need. You might also seek some assistance from churches and/or community groups along with local charities that can help with things like transportation and visits (the locals I am thinking of are generally dedicated to someone who was a victim of cancer, and these are generally known by ACS).

Best wishes to mom and her family and friends.

Take care,

Joe
  • Susan W
    Susan W Member Posts: 2

Support
    I am not familiar with such a program, Susan, but can at least provide some starting places for seeking financial assistance, among other things. Here is a small list:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/financial-resources

This site is put up by the National Institute of Health or some such, and is government-supported.

Cancer Care, a non-profit org., offers free support and counseling for cancer patients by oncology social workers. They have face-to-face counseling and counceling on the phone. Support groups on the phone are available too and are moderated by an oncology social worker. Call 800-813-HOPE. They can also give you info about financial resources. Check their website: www.cancercare.org

Gilda's Club - www.gildasclub.org - they offer free social and emotional support. Not sure if they may have financial information but check it out just in case.

Live Strong - www.livestrong.org - offers one-on-one support.

American Cancer Society (here) can also give you financial, support, etc. information available in different cities.

I hope that among these you will be able to find what you need. You might also seek some assistance from churches and/or community groups along with local charities that can help with things like transportation and visits (the locals I am thinking of are generally dedicated to someone who was a victim of cancer, and these are generally known by ACS).

Best wishes to mom and her family and friends.

Take care,

Joe

caregiver info
    Joe,thanks so much for all the info you posted. Any and all info is appreciated. When I went to p/u the pain patch it was 246.00 and she has no prescription insurance and only living on social security. It is a disgrace that seniors have to make a choice on such things. Thank goodness my mom has 6 children that are very supportive and helpful. Take care.

Susan W
  • augigi
    augigi Member Posts: 89
    Susan W said:

caregiver info
    Joe,thanks so much for all the info you posted. Any and all info is appreciated. When I went to p/u the pain patch it was 246.00 and she has no prescription insurance and only living on social security. It is a disgrace that seniors have to make a choice on such things. Thank goodness my mom has 6 children that are very supportive and helpful. Take care.

Susan W

I am so thankful that my
    I am so thankful that my mother is in Australia and financial concerns have not had a part in her disease and treatment. I can't imagine how stressful it would be to deal with cancer AND having to decide what treatments you can afford. Sounds like your mother is lucky to have you.