Anybody had these? Eloxatin/ Oxaliplatin- Fluorouracil (5FU) Leucovorin - Avastin (Bevacizumab)-

porkchopqueen
porkchopqueen Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Start chemo on Monday and this is the list of drugs the doctor gave me. He told me I shouldn't have any problems other than sensitivity to cold. Anything else I should look for? Don't want to fight any demons that won't be there, but I still worry.

Comments

• christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Didn't have Avastin ...
    But I had the others. Like you probably know, keep gloves next to the freezer or have someone else pull that stuff out for you. I drank a lot of green tea, room temp water and juice. The first couple chemos made me nausea but I told them and they adjusted my nausea meds so no vomitting after that. Thankfully the weather is warmer now, I went through part of my chemo in winter in MN and it was murder. When I had the pump I found it easier to wear button down shirts than ones I had to pull over my head, same for pajamas. I think you will be just fine, chemo was not as bad as I thought it would be, I continued to work throughout it. Good luck to you and keep us informed on how you are doing. Oh also I hardly lost any hair, you could hardly tell.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    FOLFOX with Avastin
    I can't answer for Avastin because I wasn't Stage IV and didn't have that, but there are many other side effects with FOLFOX (Oxi and 5FU)

I assume you'll wear the pump home for 46-48 hours. I felt really icky for 2 or 3 days after the pump was removed but that didn't start right away. Neuropathy in hands and feet comes from the Oxi. I'm 7 months post chemo and my fingertips still are numb/ tingle. My feet feel like I have wet sand in my socks. That's a great improvement tho.

HOWEVER: Chemo is not the horrific thing of yesteryear. I never threw up and only felt queasy during my last 2 tx's. I took the pills for nausea and it went right away. I had heartburn and took OTC meds for that. The steroids given with chemo to keep you from reacting made me feel flushed and hyper for a good 24 hours. Some people can't sleep. Oh, I had constipation after each tx until I figured out to eat Raisin Bran the day before, day of and a few days after. I was very uncomfortable with constipation! I had to get up and pee 6 or more times during chemo but you just take the pole with you. My hair thinned but that was it. My avatar photo is three months out of chemo.

For the days after chemo, drink LOADS of fluids to flush the chemo out of your kidneys. Sleep in you feel tired. I am not one to stay in bed so I'd doze on the sofa.

Take a book and some word search puzzles. My onc had TV's to watch and loads of magazines. We sat in very comfortable recliners and had phones to use, coffee, tea, juices, soda (why do they refrigerate all their drinks when they KNOW we can't drink anything cold?) bottled waters and loads of snacks.
  • porkchopqueen

FOLFOX with Avastin
    I can't answer for Avastin because I wasn't Stage IV and didn't have that, but there are many other side effects with FOLFOX (Oxi and 5FU)

I assume you'll wear the pump home for 46-48 hours. I felt really icky for 2 or 3 days after the pump was removed but that didn't start right away. Neuropathy in hands and feet comes from the Oxi. I'm 7 months post chemo and my fingertips still are numb/ tingle. My feet feel like I have wet sand in my socks. That's a great improvement tho.

HOWEVER: Chemo is not the horrific thing of yesteryear. I never threw up and only felt queasy during my last 2 tx's. I took the pills for nausea and it went right away. I had heartburn and took OTC meds for that. The steroids given with chemo to keep you from reacting made me feel flushed and hyper for a good 24 hours. Some people can't sleep. Oh, I had constipation after each tx until I figured out to eat Raisin Bran the day before, day of and a few days after. I was very uncomfortable with constipation! I had to get up and pee 6 or more times during chemo but you just take the pole with you. My hair thinned but that was it. My avatar photo is three months out of chemo.

For the days after chemo, drink LOADS of fluids to flush the chemo out of your kidneys. Sleep in you feel tired. I am not one to stay in bed so I'd doze on the sofa.

Take a book and some word search puzzles. My onc had TV's to watch and loads of magazines. We sat in very comfortable recliners and had phones to use, coffee, tea, juices, soda (why do they refrigerate all their drinks when they KNOW we can't drink anything cold?) bottled waters and loads of snacks.

Thank you so much, this is
    Thank you so much, this is the kind of info I REALLY need.
  • porkchopqueen

Didn't have Avastin ...
    But I had the others. Like you probably know, keep gloves next to the freezer or have someone else pull that stuff out for you. I drank a lot of green tea, room temp water and juice. The first couple chemos made me nausea but I told them and they adjusted my nausea meds so no vomitting after that. Thankfully the weather is warmer now, I went through part of my chemo in winter in MN and it was murder. When I had the pump I found it easier to wear button down shirts than ones I had to pull over my head, same for pajamas. I think you will be just fine, chemo was not as bad as I thought it would be, I continued to work throughout it. Good luck to you and keep us informed on how you are doing. Oh also I hardly lost any hair, you could hardly tell.

Thank you for the reply,
    Thank you for the reply, hadn't even thought about the best clothes to wear so they can give me the drugs.
  • christinecarl

Thank you for the reply,
    Thank you for the reply, hadn't even thought about the best clothes to wear so they can give me the drugs.

also
    I also would take one Antivan 1/2 hour before chemo treatment, brought ear plugs, and one of those sleep masks for the eyes. And I would sleep through most of my chemo. If I could not sleep I brought a book from the library called Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips, it was useful to read. Since I could not shower with the pump, I would just wash my hair in the sink those days I did not try bath with the pump.
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    I've had them all
    The only thing I'm not taking now is Oxi; mainly because it almost killed me. It was so bad that I went for three months without being able to eat solid food. My doctor told me out of 70 people taking all those drugs me and one other "older" gentleman could not take the oxi. After two treatments I lost all my hair, couldn't stand the cold, was throwing up after each meal and couldn't drink anything even room temperature. Everything had to be hot or it made my throat close up. After four treatments of oxi, my doctor took me off, then it took three months to get it out of my system enough that I was able to eat solid food and touch anything cold. It has been 11 months and my finger tips are still tingling and my hands are still peeling.
    I get four pre-meds for nausea now and I'm still sick one or two days after chemo and I take 5FU, Avastin and Leucovorin. I don't have the pump, I just go in every two weeks and stay for a couple of hours. I sleep during my chemo treatments because as soon as I get the phenegran, I'm asleep. I don't wake up until they are flushing me after giving me Avastin and I have to call my husband to come pick me up.
    Good luck and remember, what happens to me does not happen to most. But then again, I don't have a cancer that most people have. Appendiceal cancer only happens one in one million.

Debbie in Arkansas
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    I had these
    With them came sensitivity to cold. Permanent nerve damage in my feet and hands,and ALOT of nausea. I was hospitilized about 5 times for side effects related to chemo. I didnt realize how bad I really felt at the time. Now that I am off chemo I can see how bad I really felt. Keep good communication with your doctor and nurses about side effects and dont be afraid to go in and get checked out if your instincts are telling you thats what you should do.
  • porkchopqueen
    zenmonk said:

I had these
    With them came sensitivity to cold. Permanent nerve damage in my feet and hands,and ALOT of nausea. I was hospitilized about 5 times for side effects related to chemo. I didnt realize how bad I really felt at the time. Now that I am off chemo I can see how bad I really felt. Keep good communication with your doctor and nurses about side effects and dont be afraid to go in and get checked out if your instincts are telling you thats what you should do.

Thanks for replying, I need
    Thanks for replying, I need to hear all of this.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Side Effects
    All of the above but I will add another. Fatigue, my husband was very fatigued. Just give in to the fatigue and get lots of rest if you need it and don't overdue, go to bed early if you need to. As far as nausea, as an encouragemet, I might add that my hubby never had nausea and never threw up from the chemo. He had a nausea pre-med drip (Anzamet)before chemo drug actually started. Everyone is different. In addition, he also worked full time while on this chemo regimen only missing work about 1 to 1 1/2 days every other week. He did receive his infusions over a 2 day period instad of 1. About 3 1/2 hours first day and 1 hour second day, disconnect from pump on day 3. We were anticipating the worse case scenario and it just didn't happen. His appetite was excellent and he would come from chemo asking what's to eat. He was able to drive himself, after my going with him the first few times, he said it wasn't necessary for me to take off work to accompany him. He did very well with these drugs and had many of his mets disappear and the rest showed, "onc's words" significant shrinkage. Take a deep breath your journey is just starting and come back and ask anything you want, nothing is too big or to small to mention and someone will come on and share their experiences and answer your questions. George completed all 12 treatments over 6 months and is now on what we call "chemo light" Take care - Tina
  • porkchopqueen
    bdee said:

I've had them all
    The only thing I'm not taking now is Oxi; mainly because it almost killed me. It was so bad that I went for three months without being able to eat solid food. My doctor told me out of 70 people taking all those drugs me and one other "older" gentleman could not take the oxi. After two treatments I lost all my hair, couldn't stand the cold, was throwing up after each meal and couldn't drink anything even room temperature. Everything had to be hot or it made my throat close up. After four treatments of oxi, my doctor took me off, then it took three months to get it out of my system enough that I was able to eat solid food and touch anything cold. It has been 11 months and my finger tips are still tingling and my hands are still peeling.
    I get four pre-meds for nausea now and I'm still sick one or two days after chemo and I take 5FU, Avastin and Leucovorin. I don't have the pump, I just go in every two weeks and stay for a couple of hours. I sleep during my chemo treatments because as soon as I get the phenegran, I'm asleep. I don't wake up until they are flushing me after giving me Avastin and I have to call my husband to come pick me up.
    Good luck and remember, what happens to me does not happen to most. But then again, I don't have a cancer that most people have. Appendiceal cancer only happens one in one million.

Debbie in Arkansas

One in a million, great!
    One in a million, great! Why couldn't it be something good? Anyway, thanks for the info.
  • porkchopqueen
    geotina said:

Side Effects
    All of the above but I will add another. Fatigue, my husband was very fatigued. Just give in to the fatigue and get lots of rest if you need it and don't overdue, go to bed early if you need to. As far as nausea, as an encouragemet, I might add that my hubby never had nausea and never threw up from the chemo. He had a nausea pre-med drip (Anzamet)before chemo drug actually started. Everyone is different. In addition, he also worked full time while on this chemo regimen only missing work about 1 to 1 1/2 days every other week. He did receive his infusions over a 2 day period instad of 1. About 3 1/2 hours first day and 1 hour second day, disconnect from pump on day 3. We were anticipating the worse case scenario and it just didn't happen. His appetite was excellent and he would come from chemo asking what's to eat. He was able to drive himself, after my going with him the first few times, he said it wasn't necessary for me to take off work to accompany him. He did very well with these drugs and had many of his mets disappear and the rest showed, "onc's words" significant shrinkage. Take a deep breath your journey is just starting and come back and ask anything you want, nothing is too big or to small to mention and someone will come on and share their experiences and answer your questions. George completed all 12 treatments over 6 months and is now on what we call "chemo light" Take care - Tina

Thanks for the reply. Good
    Thanks for the reply. Good ole fatigue. Just what we need with all we have going on.
  • porkchopqueen

also
    I also would take one Antivan 1/2 hour before chemo treatment, brought ear plugs, and one of those sleep masks for the eyes. And I would sleep through most of my chemo. If I could not sleep I brought a book from the library called Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips, it was useful to read. Since I could not shower with the pump, I would just wash my hair in the sink those days I did not try bath with the pump.

I just had a port put in, so
    I just had a port put in, so I guess that is different from a pump???
  • damama24
    damama24 Member Posts: 174 Member
    zenmonk said:

I had these

chemo
    I had very few side effects. The oxi caused sensitivity to cold and messed with my blood counts. I'm no longer getting oxi but am getting everything else along with a phase one trial drug. I do have some neuropathy in my hands and feet but it is getting better every day. Never had much nausea, but did lose my appitite and had to make myself eat sometimes.But in the last month my appitite has returned and I have felt much better more energy and better mood. Think the spring like weather is helping there. Just make sure to let your Dr. know whats going on with you no matter how minor you think it might be. Everyone has their own unique experience with chemo some breeze through it with no problems and some have major side effects. Hoping you breeze through it. Best of luck to you and yours. Deb
  • damama24
    damama24 Member Posts: 174 Member

port
    I also have a port but still have the pump attached as they infuse the 5-FU over a 46 hour time frame. It's kind of bother some at first but you get used to it and the time goes by pretty fast. My youngest son removes my pump at the end of infusion. Some people are not comfortable doing it themselves but I didn't want to make the 45 minute drive to the cancer center for something that takes only a few minutes to do. Deb
  • christinecarl

port
    Like someone else explained, the pump plugs into the port, I had a power port. Had that removed 3 months after chemo stopped. I had some jaw pain when I would chew, it went away about half way through my chemo, noticed my nose would run more too. Keep your Onc informed of all side effects you have. I still have numb finger tips and feet, last chemo was 6-23-09.
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Folfox + Avastin
    Yes, I had all of that.

A good tip I had re Oxali was to use plastic flatware. Metal hurt my hands. (Wooden chopsticks are good, too.)

Most ppl get diarrhea from 5fu - I was told to keep immodium handy and use it at the first sign. I was constipated, and had to take senna and colace throughout.

Keep your hands and feet well moisturized - 5FU can cause Hand-foot syndrome, with neuropathy and splitting skin. My oncologists recommended Udderly Smooth or Bag Balm (yes - farm treatments). The Udderly Smooth is cold cream based and nicer, bag balm is vaseline based and greasy. Both available at pharmacies.

Be gentle on your bottom as well - an anal fissure resulting from chemo added to my grief, and wouldn't heal until 8 weeks after chemo.

5FU can also cause chemo-brain, so you may become forgetful. It doesn't happen to everyone - I escaped it, but I saw it in others.

I also was advised to rinse my mouth 3-5 times a day with 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp baking soda in 1 cup warm water. I had few problems with mouth sores, and I think that doing this religiously helped.

It's not going to be fun - this is an endurance test. Get through it, and get beyond. Tell your dr about any side effects - they'll modify the chemo if they can.

Good luck!
  • Lisa_R
    Lisa_R Member Posts: 59
    i am stage 4 and did your
    i am stage 4 and did your list of drugs --- it saved my life.. the drs told me i had too many tumors to count and i am now cancer free(NED) after a liver resection cut the last of it out.... if you get sick or want to feel "normal" and need to boost your eating try marijauna--- it works i swear better than anything the drs gave me...i did become allergic to the oxy after time and you will get sick for that--- but i was on high doses--- if you can see about cerbitux-- i was on that as well--- good luck and god bless

lisa
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Lisa_R said:

i am stage 4 and did your
    i am stage 4 and did your list of drugs --- it saved my life.. the drs told me i had too many tumors to count and i am now cancer free(NED) after a liver resection cut the last of it out.... if you get sick or want to feel "normal" and need to boost your eating try marijauna--- it works i swear better than anything the drs gave me...i did become allergic to the oxy after time and you will get sick for that--- but i was on high doses--- if you can see about cerbitux-- i was on that as well--- good luck and god bless

lisa

dearest Queenie
    my best advice is get started and see how it goes. I have done your drugs and there will probably be more than cold sensitivity but just wait and see. Try to enjoy you weekend. i feel like an an old lady repeating myself but I always say anticipating chemo is hard work....no one thinks they can do it and we can and we do. Wait and see on Monday how it goes.

best best of luck and hugs for Monday...

let us know how you do....

mags
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    All of the above
    I've had all of these. I coped fairly well with them all. Not much to add to what has been shared already. Take it easy, enjoy a mid-day nap, it will be finished before you know it!

Good luck on Monday... Rob; in Vancouver
  • mark440
    mark440 Member Posts: 63
    Hi Queenie!!
    I just had my pump taken off yesterday.. first round same as you..day 1 my stomach hurt untill 7:00 p.m. couldnt eat or drink anything cold, I had diaareha later in the evening.day 2 I felt o.k. ate a good supper got a nap or two in..day 3 I had the pump taken out at 11:30a.m. I felt BAD all day..today I slept all day.. ask for zofran... it seems to be doing the trick for me with the nausea..
    At one point I told my wife I feel so bad there is no way I can do 11 more.. but you have to do it!! you got to be strong!! its great to have the support from everyone here!
    We are only a few days apart on our treatments... you hang with me and we will party like rock stars when we finish!!! DEAL??