Working while getting treatments...

Options
Nea-lee
Nea-lee Member Posts: 1
Hello, my name is Renee. I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with Large Cell NHL on December 15th, 2009. I just finished up my 3 cyles of R-CHOP on February 26th and will be starting radiation treatments in 1-1/2 weeks.

My question is this...how did you handle working while going through treatments. The fatigue has been my biggest complaint. Before all of this I worked full time and was very active - went to the gym every night, and on the weekends I was either hiking, mountain biking, or some other activity. I am not one to sit still.

Anyway...I have been trying to work full time through all of this, but have found it very difficult. After my second chemo treatment I talked to my boss about working shorter days. He agreed to it and told me that I needed to use all of my vacation time up in doing so. Now that chemo is done I almost get the feeling like my work expects for me to be completly better. But the fact of the matter is, I am not, as much as I want to be my normal self, I am still dealing with the fatigue. And I still have to go through the radiation...

Any input would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Comments

• natalie14
    natalie14 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    I am also 28 and was just
    I am also 28 and was just diagnosed with a recurrence of Large Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I went through CHOP chemo and went into remission quickly and now one year later, it has come back. My doctor wants to do an auto stem cell transplant and I am terrified.
    As for your situation, I have not received radiation, just CHOP chemo. I have to say the meds these days are wonderful and I breezed through for the most part. I have three small children and at times it was haard to keep up, but I made it my priority. Jobs can be either understanding/supportive or concerned with other issues that could effect the company, etc. People expect once chemo is over, it is back to normal and that is far from the truth. Your health and happiness come first. Blessings, Natalie
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Options
    I couldn't work
    Renee, I admire that you are going to work. I am a teacher and my Dr did not want me around children as our immunune system is not normal. Take care of yourself. You do not need to be superwoman. Get your rest, and wash your hands endlessly. I was too tired to work after the 2nd chemo. You will get to the other side of this . I was diagnosed in Jan 2009 and now I am working and going to the gym 4 times a week. God bless you and your family.
  • brigit
    brigit Member Posts: 7
    Options
    JoanieP said:

I couldn't work
    Renee, I admire that you are going to work. I am a teacher and my Dr did not want me around children as our immunune system is not normal. Take care of yourself. You do not need to be superwoman. Get your rest, and wash your hands endlessly. I was too tired to work after the 2nd chemo. You will get to the other side of this . I was diagnosed in Jan 2009 and now I am working and going to the gym 4 times a week. God bless you and your family.

work
    I have been able to work a 4 day work week during treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma. I also have a 2 year old and on days that I'm exhausted my little man stays a longer day at daycare and my husband picks him up. I work in an operating room so I wear a mask for most of the day. I won't lie and say it's been a piece of cake but for me it's been doable. My boss and coworkers have been great. I'm not doing all of my old duties (mostly I can't take call anymore). I'm also lucky that I don't experience any nasuea and my side effects form chemo are minimal. If at any point I feel like I can't do my job or that my health is at risk I would stop working in a heartbeat. My health and being here for my son and husband are more important than work. I've also been lucky that I've only had 2 sinus infections and have never spiked a fever or had any other illnesses. Good luck